Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2001 10:38:47 PM EDT
Ok, I bought an otis gun cleaning kit (it's a flexible-rod, pull through system) and decided to use it to clean my brand new LEGP.

Sat down to clean it. Put the little cleaning patch on the flexible rod, started to pull through, breech to muzzle.

Patch stuck.

Tried umpteen different ways to pull (and push, with soft things like bits of bamboo) the patch out through the bore.

Patch [i]real[/i] stuck now.

Any ideas? I can still see the tail end of the patch, it's not that far down. Letting it soak in oil now. Wondering if maybe disassembly of some kind would let me get at it a little better, then pull back out with tweezers. . .

Any thoughts or help appreciated. Situation is immensely annoying.

Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Air Compressor?

Sydwaiz
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
blow torch?

hehehe -- just kidding ....MAYBE!

got a long dowel and mallet to tap it out?

i got a 44mag slug stuck in my 8" barrel from a squib load, tapping it out was the only way.

Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Actually, the thought of incinerating the cotton patch *did* cross my mind. I have to think it would damage something, though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont see how the little heat generated by burning it coud hurt your bore. But better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
A mixture of soda ash and water pored onto the patch should break it down. Don't use too much soda ash or it becomes caustic and could take off your skin. If you leave it on for a couple of minutes, it might break down the patch enough so that you can push it through with a cleaning rod.

I'm no chemist, so you might want to do a little research on the web before you mix it. But it's just about the only thing, other than very caustic acids, that will break down cotton.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 12:00:38 AM EDT
[#6]
uuuuhhhhhhhh....

how about pushing it out with a cleaning rod?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Pushing it out with a cleaning rod would involve buying a cleaning rod, and even then I'm not sure I have the strength! danged thing is *stuck*.

As to burning/soda ash .. i'm a little leery of burning because the flexible rod is plastic-coated and I'd like to avoid damaging it if possible. Soda ash sounds very interesting, i'll look into that. .thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:05:48 AM EDT
[#8]
The same thing happened to me when I first bought my Otis system.  I used the dowel rod method, and it came out fine.  By the way, I love the Otis system on my larger bore rifles and shotguns, but after that bad situation of the patch getting stuck so badly, I havent used it again on my AR.  What is the secret to getting it to work??  Is it the way that you fold the patch?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:08:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy a cleaning rod and push it out with that. Sooner or later you will find uses for the rod anyway...
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#10]
How about a PRIMED (no powder or bullet)case?

SRM
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Wooden dowel.  As large as will fit the bore.  Two lengths if necessary.  Soft hammer.  Drive from the muzzle end.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#12]
pour solvent down the barrell, let it soak for a few minutes, and you'll be able to push it out easily
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#13]
what kind of solvent, though? Need something that won't damage steel, brass, or plastic, but will dissolve or weaken/loosen cotton.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Are you saying that you put in a dry patch in a dry bore?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#15]
No, I had things slightly lubricated, as per the instructions. Just. .not enough >_<
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Hrm. . .only thing I can find that I think *might* be suitable is. .don't laugh . . liquid plumber. Says it dissolves hair, but won't damage plastic or metal pipes. . .worth a try, perhaps, or not worth the risk?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Been there, done that...

Basically, RIP the bi*ch out of there.  Wrap the cable around a hammer (I told Forest that one) and jerk tug it out.  Forget about the T-handle, you will just bend it.

The cable is rated for something like 1400 lbs, you won't break it, and you aren't going to damage the barrel.  Worst case is that it beats up the patch holder a little.  (it still works)
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Since the patches are adjustable (by how much you feed through the middle) the newbie can set it up too tight.  Just takes a little experience to know the right amount, or follow the manual closely and you will be fine.

Again, rip that sucker out.  You can't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#22]
yeah, that's what i'm fearing. I've tried a few variations on that theme (tying the cable to a post and pulling back on it) but so far at least it ain't workin' :(
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Aqua regia would work.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I would let the patch dry out as much as possible due to the fact that it expands when wet. I have the Otis also. I have had a hard time getting a patch or two out of my bore. I just wrap the cable around my hand if possible and then pull as hard as I can. This always works. However I sometimes have a good deal of difficulty. Not to brag, but if I am having a hard time with it the average Joe will need a buddy. One guy holds the upper the other pulls the cord. Stick with it, I love my Otis.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#25]
yeah, i have a feeling I may end up calling in my brother. Just would prefer not to, for obvious reasons :P
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Aqua regia would work.
View Quote

Just don't wear any gold rings while using it. . . .
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
yeah, that's what i'm fearing. I've tried a few variations on that theme (tying the cable to a post and pulling back on it) but so far at least it ain't workin' :(
View Quote

If you can tie it around a post, use the weight of the barreled upper like a slide hammer. Put slack in the cable and set the upper in motion. Don't be shy, put your shoulder into it. Repeat as required. It'll come out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Note to everyone.
I bought the Otis on the word of a friend who is still in the service.
The AR kit will work fine in a AR.
If you are using the standard kit and a .22 barrel, only (ONLY!) fold the patch at 12 or 12:30. Do not even go to 1!
I went to 3ish, and had to put the cord in a vise and lube the patch and let it sit, and pull like hell in one long hard pull.
AR kit works fine in 22...it is the standard kit you have to be very precise in. I now own a AR kit, too.
Note to another- you may try the light oil lube, cord in vise, and long hard steady pull if you anywhere close to noon, it may work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top