Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2006 2:49:33 PM EDT
no text
Link Posted: 6/8/2006 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Did a quick Google search ... do an "advanced search" for the exact phrase "Diamond Manufacturing Company" .  An eBay item comes up, too.  1891 golf club !!!  

Added;    Sorry, I couldn't re-do that search the way I described.  
eBay search item  number: 8815936413

Also they may still be in business in Michigan City, IN  ...    www.diamondman.com    Good luck
Link Posted: 6/8/2006 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Did a quick Google search ... do an "advanced search" for the exact phrase "Diamond Manufacturing Company" .  An eBay item comes up, too.  1891 golf club !!!  

it looks like something from the 30's or maybe older? I might buy it since it's cheap, it could be used to hold loose ammo.
Link Posted: 6/9/2006 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
...the tag said "old brass safe" liner?

That is indeed an old brass safe liner.

what do you think it was originally designed for? could it be for tickets or cash?

Anything you want to put in it - it's a safe.

Haven't you ever seen and old floor safe?  The round "door" is set down in a concrete floor and looks like a weird manhole or something.  Usually the whole door lifts off.

The "liner" is basically a bucket to hold your stuff so you don't have to dive in down to your armpit every time you want to retrieve something from the safe.  You just lift it out by the handle.  I've seen these in a lot of retail buildings that were built a while ago like gas stations and liquor stores.  It's possible that it came from a railroad office, but they were pretty common in other businesses.
Link Posted: 6/9/2006 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
-
Link Posted: 6/10/2006 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#5]
btt
Link Posted: 6/10/2006 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a McDonalds here in PHX that has a floor safe,but I'm not sure if the liner is brass,so I would hesitate to try to date it.They may even still be making em'?
Link Posted: 6/10/2006 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to use one of these when I worked at a carwash/gas station. Had two compartments. Combination got you into the top then had a slot to put paper money into the bottom that needed a key to access. If I was to build a house today, I would definitely put one in.
Link Posted: 6/10/2006 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I used to use one of these when I worked at a carwash/gas station. Had two compartments. Combination got you into the top then had a slot to put paper money into the bottom that needed a key to access. If I was to build a house today, I would definitely put one in.

this one just has one big hollow compartment inside
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:18:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I found out what this thing was originally used for:

it's a fare box

the brass plug with the chain locks the trapdoor in the open position so money can drop down inside

by the size of it, I would geuss it may have been used by the public train for the fare or possibly a bus? or maybe even on a ship or the subway? ferry boat , etc.

looks too big and heavy for a soda machine or parking meter

I think it was used on a train back in the days when train travel was popular

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top