Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2001 1:34:50 PM EDT
I know this will start a slam-fest, but here goes. Today I decided to work on my truck in my shop. My yard has a 4ft chain as does the neighbor across the alley. Well, the moment I open the shop door, their dog crawls over both fences into my yard, growling all the way. I slam the door shut to keep him out. When I open it back up again, here he comes again. This time I have a shotgun in hand, after all, it is my yard. When the neighbor spots me, she freaks out. I did not shoot, this time, but she says I have no right to shoot the dog, I just have to be more careful about when I go out.
 Am I the crazy one? What about my kids and wife? Do I let them get bit? We live in town with a lot of kids on the block, most of them at my house daily.
 BTW, the county Sheriff says next time blast him. Not to worry about neighbors. What would you do?
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Blast the mut, familly first.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoot the damn thing and screw your neighbors. If they cared about the safety of either the dog or you then they would make sure that either it would stay in their yard or they would chain it up.

Michael
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't like to hurt animals too much so I probably wouldn't have bothered it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I would tell the owner that if you see the dog inside your fence again it is dead.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Hit it a couple of time in the head with a paintball gun, most dogs will be deterred from coming over again. If that doesn't work. Shoot the little S.O.B.
-Chuck
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hit it a couple of time in the head with a paintball gun, most dogs will be deterred from coming over again. If that doesn't work. Shoot the little S.O.B.
-Chuck
View Quote

Chuck I love the paintball ides. Just wonder if it is accurate enough and painful enough to make him think dammitt.
Just to add, someone poisioned my two dogs earlier this year. They wouldn't leave the yard with the gates wide open. All the kids came by to play with them. Just to say I don"t hate dogs, just hate getting bit.  
              fullclip
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Tell your neighbor to control their animal or Fido is going to the pound.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Whack him!
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#10]
You would be hard pressed to find more of a dog lover on this board than myself. All of my dogs, five of them, are extremely aggressive. And I recently spent four grand on a fence for them. I've even got a half grown full blooded timber wolf that sleeps in bed with the wife and I. So it is obvious I love canines.
Now, having said that, I would nicely explain to the lady that I am fearful not just for myself but also for my wife, my children and the neighborhood children. Explain to her that it is her responsibility to insure that the dog is kept in facilities that will keep it on her property and not out threatening others. Nicely tell her that you will, if forced to, defend your home from the dog even if that means taking its life. Explain that you will receive no joy from this but it is something as the provider and protector of your family you must do if forced to. Then if the dog comes into your yard again challenging you kill it.
You'll notice that I did not ask what breed of dog it is. It does not matter if it is a poodle or a Great Dane. It is the owners responsibility to keep it up. The same applies to cats, cows, horses or elephants. If they are yours you are responsible for keeping them off your neighbors property.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#11]
hey you could always try rubber-tipped arrows from a crossbow. Might knock him out
-Chuck
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just to add, someone poisioned my two dogs earlier this year. They wouldn't leave the yard with the gates wide open. All the kids came by to play with them. Just to say I don"t hate dogs, just hate getting bit.  
              fullclip
View Quote

I bet you a neighbor poisoned the dogs because they were afraid their child was going to get bit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#14]
You're not going to like the sound of this, but getting bit first will really play into your favor. Plan it, most dogs go for the arm, wear some leather under a sweatshirt. Yeah, it will probably hurt but then you can do your 12 gauge duty. Or be the nice guy and make a PD phone call.
-Better luck to you than I had, by the way. The dog that got me ran up my side and went for the back of my head, crazy b@stard..
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I definately am a dog lover, and own a very large (130lbs) shep/rott mix. He is very friendly with everyone in the neighborhood and all the dogs are his buddies, but he is ferrociously protective of me and the homestead (gooood boy!). If one of the neighborhood dogs ever growled at me in a menacing manner on my property, I'd kick it square in the face. Of course I know all those dogs. If an unfamiliar or unfriendly dog appeared and was menacing, it would get a 12 guage enema.
In your case, I like the paintball warning idea. If you've ever been shot by a paintball gun at close range, you know it would hurt like hell to catch one in the face!
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I would tell your neighbor if their dog is caught in your yard one more time he will be given some lead in his diet. Its better to give than receive. If you know what I mean. Good luck and be careful.

Moose
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#17]
First, I would hand deliver a letter to her, or send a letter certified mail( even better) .  Your dog is threatening us, coming into our yard, etc.  Pelase keep your dog on a chain in your yard.  Keep a copy.   Also point out in the letter you feel concerned about your safety, childrens safety, and wife's safety.   Point out that you have talked with her/him (6)( what ever the number is, be truthful) times about this dog you feel is dangerous. Then if then if the dog comes over the fence, Whack it, but remember you are concerned for your safety.  The certified letter is to put her on notice, if the dog hurts you or a family member, I hope that doesnt happen, you will own her house.  If you get a good atty.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#18]

I bet you a neighbor poisoned the dogs because they were afraid their child was going to get bit.[/quote]

Quite possible, but doubt it. My dogs were taken in by me because neighbors didn't want tnem any longer. In our small town everyone knows everyone else (and all thier business) and are quite friendly. I really think it was someone mad because thier dogs were poisioned, there was a lot of it going around for a while. Also we have no local animal control or P.D. and only six county deputys total. And we are the county seat. Law enforcement is mostly "Do it yourself". Love small town life.
              fullclip

Link Posted: 8/26/2001 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Pepper spray then shotgun
GG
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't be "nice" about it. The neighbor wants YOU to be careful about when you go out into YOUR yard so's not to bother her DOG?! Next time, blow his GD head off, and make sure the neighbor sees you do it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Remove the shot from a light load and replace it with rock salt, give Ole Sparky a case of the Red Arse.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm with Gunslinger.

Go the very concerned, very rational route, explaining about applicable leash laws and nuisance animal laws, and that you've spoken to the appropriate law enforcement and animal control folks, and have been told that you would be well within your rights to use deadly force in protecting yourself or your family.

There's no reason to unnecessarily provoke her, but you should get across that you've looked into it, and that the law is on your side if she continues to let her dog run wild.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Blast the nice dead doggie, hell the police is on your side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top