Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2001 7:38:25 PM EDT
Been chewing for "a long time now" and really trying to give it up.  I used to laugh when my buddies tried to give up smoking, but now "I feel thier pain" so to speak.  Any experience on how to go about this.  Every time I try to give it up, I just end up "bumming a chew" from anybody.  ANY feedback would be appriciative.  Thks
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Chewing gum, lots of chewing gum.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#2]
my uncle chews, he is also an oral surgon. he once told me about a time he had to listen to a guys wife cry her eyes out for the hour he explained how he was gonna remove her husbands jaw to stop the progression of cancer. guess why he had cancer, and even that hasnt got my uncle away from the chew
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I quit snuff years ago. Honestly sunflower seeds and will power are the only two things I needed. I just decided I wasn't going to do it and made myself stop. Funny thing is I almost can't stand to be around it now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]
13f this is the hardest thing you will ever have to do in your life. I chewed for about 9 years and loved it. I could not quit until a friend that was the same age as me (32 at the time)got jaw and throat cancer. I quit cold turkey and thought about starting again several times. Then I would think about my friend that went from 225 pounds to 97 pounds. And I would remember him sitting in his bed shooting morphine in his mouth and asking me to help him end it. I used the herbal fake chew. It tasted like crap but seemed to help alot. I would occasoinaly have nightmares that I started chewing again and had to go through the withdrwal again. I dont mean to be so blunt but the best way is to just quit and deal with it. It is alot better to do that than to die like Steve did!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I dipped Copenhagen for 12 years and Skoal for about3 before that.  Gave it up this past February, I just told myself that I was going to quit and I did!!!  Bummed a dip off a coworker one night and it literally made me sick!!!  Now I can't even stand to smell any of it!!!  Just keep reminding yourself that you can do without it and you will pull through!!!  Good luck!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 3:31:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Bubble gum is good. You will be fine in a couple years.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 5:29:52 AM EDT
[#7]
10 year chewer. Quit 14 months ago. I used Mike Link's Jerky snuff. Its almost as addictive as the chew, but works great "in a pinch". No pun intended.

RLTW
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Been dippin' for 12 years, and I've never had a problem with worms or long relationships.

Damn that Copenhagen!

I've tried mixing it in with that "Smokey Mountain Chew" crap in the past, but just to see what would happen.  I'm seriously considering trying it again.  The idea is to gradually ween yourself from the snuff by adding the fake stuff to the real (ie:  1/4 fake - 3/4 real one week, 1/2 fake - 1/2 real the next, and so on...).

My main problem with sunflower seeds is that they dry my mouth out like a mo-fo after a while, so I expect to be chewing quite a bit of gum.

Anyone have any experience with that Nicorette gum?
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I quit smoking and started chewing Nicorette gum. It is a big help but then started smoking again. Now I chew the gum and smoke! I cut down a massive amount by chewing the gum. I use to smoke 2 packs a day and for the past year I have smoked less than a pack a day and chew about 9 pieces of gum a day. Some day I will stop smoking all together.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top