Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2001 5:54:06 PM EDT
Had my wisdom teeth out 2 days ago and I am still suffering. I am starving to death! Oatmeal and yogurt suck! But, the best pain reliever was 15 min ago when my FFL called saying an Oly lower just came in for me!  Just Bitching for the sake of bitching. Military medical sucks! Here I am, 27 years old, and after almost 10 years in the Air Force, they say if I didn't have them out, I would not be world wide deployable cause I might have a dental emergency!? What exactly does a dental emergency consist of... would I be med-evac'ed out of combat for sore wisdom teeth? Pathetic!
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Why the long wait for wisdom teeth pull?? I had mine yanked when I was 16.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I know your pain,last week I had one pulled because it couldn't be saved w/a root canal.I've got sutures cutting into my gum line and I'm still up for having all 4 wisdom teeth pulled in a couple of weeks.[BD]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]
They have never bothered me, so I figured just leave 'em be. But the Air Force has all these dentists commisioned out of college and they need OJT, so there I was, waiting to be violated...By the way, is it normal to have a rash on the ass after such a proceedure?
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one pulled at Ft Hood, and the dentist took all of about 30 seconds to get it out. No pain at all (and this from an ARMY dentist). I guess they rotate duties ie, one day he'll do fillings, the next day pull teeth, etc. I was lucky, 'cause I got this guy on his tooth-pulling day. Hope you feel better, man.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
CATM: I know your pain....I had mine removed for [b]exactly[/b] the same reason years ago. They sent me to Wilford Hall Medical Center at Lackland AFB, found Dr. Mengele and he had at it...Chipped some bone in the process and the pain was unfrigginbelievable. I was admitted when my jaw swelled up to 5 times it's normal size. Military medical is the jv team of medical doctors. It took me years to finally go unarmed to a dentist.

Thank god you made it out alive [b]and[/b] with your kidney
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone have an Ice Skate for CATM?
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a pill, and smile.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
While in Okinawa I had 4 wisdom teeth pulled on two seperate occasions . The Corps only let me take one day off each time.[whacko]Campbell star soup cold out of the can did it for me!
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I was deployed to Teague Korea for Team Spirit 84 with the U.S.M.C. when I had a problem wisdom tooth. The rust picker(Navy) dentist  had shop set up in a tent and yanked it out. He gave me some pain killers and 24hrs no duty and said the best thing to do for the pain was smoke a joint (what a F*cking scum bag). Well I spent 24hrs popping pain killers, drinking and shacking with my Yobo. No pot smoking though, I prefer my drugs legal, like a good hypocrite. Oh yeah, this turd stuck the needle through my tongue went he injected the novacaine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Spent 8 years in the Army, got out in '80. The Army dentist said my teeth were perfect. Got a good union job a month after I got out and decided to take advantage of my union benefits. Made an appointment to go see the dentist to get my teeth cleaned. Turns out I had cavities on 3 surfaces of 9 teeth. 27 fillings. FTA. You vets know what that means.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I give dentac the best equipment money can buy and they pretty much get what ever they want.
its a good place to get experience while perfecting what you do and you can't sue them really. its a crap shoot
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#14]
In 1983 the Army dentist offered to take my wisdom teeth out, as it would be free, whereas I'd have to pay for it as a civilian (got out in 1984.)  I said "Thanks, but NO THANKS", based on what I'd seen from the Army docs before -- no way in hell was I letting them carve on me unless it was absolutely necessary!
Still got 'em going on 20 years later, and no problems.  Still glad I didn't let the Army dentist hack them out.
John
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 6:51:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I feel for ya, CATM...  While USAF, 2 different butterbars wanted my wisdom teeth for their trophy wall.  I refused and waited til I was out.  My Dad's horror story of having his yanked at FT. Knox in the 40's still stays with me.  2+ hours in The Chair.  Hope yours weren't "severe boney impacted" like mine.  They had to be sawed & cut-out by a surgeon.  Tons of fun...

Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Aw guys, quit scaring me.  I go off to basic in 3 weeks and my dentist says all 4 of my wisdom teeth need to go.  I was going to have the Army pull them seeing as my dentist wants $1200.

As for all of these horror stories, I've seen and heard of many others from civilian dentists...
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh yeah I remember Army dentists.  Got 3 wisdom teeth pulled but couldn't advance to the 4'th.  Sat in that %#@^ing chair for two hours bleeding like a stuck pig.  After that went to pickup my new truck at the dealer.  Was so dudded up on Novacain I didn't realize I had blood running down my face.  I would pay a million dollars to see the look on the secretaries face again.  Ate spaghetios for a week.  Haven't touched those nasty things since.

Timmy
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I know what you mean.  I have only had one out as of yet.  However; it had FOUR roots!!  My dentist told me he pulled wisdom teeth in the navy for years and had only seen one before.  He said the chances of having four roots is about one in two million.  (Can any Dr.'s verify this?) Anyway, I kept ice on it non stop all day and it kept the swelling down and was not too bad even though he yanked on the thing for about 20 mins.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Surprised it took them almost 10 years to get to yours.. They yanked mine at my first duty station.

Rick
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I still have all of my wisdon teeth, they're in a jar, wanna see???

[img]http://members.home.net/dirk.brewer/images/Photos/teeth.jpg[/img]

CATM, you have a rash on your ass. I would be looking at a possible reaction to the pain killer. I am not a doctor, but I am alergic to several pain killers (Morphine, Demerol, Duladid) and found out the hard way. Especially if you are still in pain after taking the pain killer (one sign that you might be alergic, they don't work).

Ticonderoga, remember you get what you pay for!!! Military / Civilian take your pick. But doing it while you are still a civilian you can sit around and bitch and moan in comfort for a couple of days (not a bad idea). Maybe have a girlfriend baby you... if no girlfriend, go home to family. They will baby you (moms are great for that).

Do it in the Military... doesn't cost, and.... doesn't cost (can't think of anything else).
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I have 4 impacted wisdom teeth and am too poor to get them removed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Geez, guys.  My 16 year old daughter just got all four yankked & she didn't complain half as much.  [:)]  

The AF got two of mine almost 40 years ago.  They told me to make an appointment to get the other two out & I just kept on going.  Still have 'em AFAIK.

Daughter's cost $1600.  Ouch!

Norm
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Guzzler- I appreciate the concern over my ass, but I was just joking about that... Almost a week later, though, and my jaw still hurts...
I love you guys and all your concern for my well being![:D]
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 2:41:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I never had wisdom teeth. Looks like I missed out on all kinds of fun...!
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Had all 4 wisdom teeth removed in 10 minutes during Navy basic in 1980.  The "splintering wood" sound is with me to this day.  Stuffed cotton into the holes and sent me on my way.  Got about 1/2 way down the hall when I started choking on the blood.  They dragged me back in, pumped, rinsed and repacked, and pushed me out the door. "Oh, we almost forgot...when the Novocaine wears off, your gonna want some of this." Hands me 8 Tylenol. Got light duty for the rest of the day.

Thanks a bunch. [%|]
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
...By the way, is it normal to have a rash on the ass after such a proceedure?
View Quote

They didn't like put you completely asleep and...  

You weren't sore in that area were you?  [:)]  HAAAA
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#28]
No, they did'nt put me completely out...Hey, ya think that was K-Y on my ass? hahaha!!! No, unfortunately, I was concious, they gave me an I.V. with some Valium type stuff which basically made me not give a shit that they were busting teeth out of my melon. But I could hear the teeth crunching. Out of the 4 they pulled only 2 came out whole, the other 2 came out in pieces. I feel quite a bit better today. Last night I was working the firing line for night firing(M-16A2, I am a Combat Arms Insructor in the A.F.) and with ear plugs, the pressure built up in my sinuses and it hurt like hell, plus, concussion on burst fire made the jaw ache... Oh well...
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Ahem! , let me explain.

I am a dentist and was prior military.  I'm not sure if its the Secretary of Defense or Congress, but eitherway the "Dental Readiness" of the US armed forces is required to maintain a certain percent of "Dental Readiness".

The dental readiness of a soldier is classified into 4 categories:
[b]CLASS 1.[/b]  Exam current within 1 year, no decay, no cleaning required.  
[b]CLASS 2.[/b]  Small decayed lesions present but do not anticipate dental pain within 6 months, cleaning required.  
[b]CLASS 3.[/b]  Larger decayed lesions present WITH anticipated dental pain within 6 months.
[b]CLASS 4.[/b]  We aint seen ya in a year so we dont know what you got.

Class 1 and 2 are good soldiers, 3's and 4's are bad and non-deployable.  So if you're striving for a Dental Readiness of 80%, that means if you have a group of 1000 individuals, 800 of them need to be Class 1 or 2.

WISDOM TEETH?  In order for them to classify you as Class 3 regarding your 3rd molars, it was highly likely that these teeth were partially erupted with a distal operculum of gingival tissue covering them... HOWEVER, even if totally covered by tissue, they most likely had communication with the oral cavity.

This means that food, plaque, bacteria may have been trapped beneath the gums surround the wisdom teeth resulting in a "Pericornits" <----nasty dental infection!

AND YES, the #1 trauma which pulled soldiers off of the battle field in WWI and WWII was not injury sustained from bullets!  It was dental emergencies! At least that's what they told us in the Navy.

"Sarge, I cant charge that hill and fight!  My tooth hurts!" Many a soldier have been medivaced from the field.

M.

Link Posted: 8/28/2001 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#30]
BTW, for those of you who have had horror stories in the military... I can tell ya from experience that A LOT of these teeth have been removed by 03's... LT (navy) or CPT (army)... these guys are fresh out of dental school and basically know just enough not to kill you!

So my advice is to ask the guy taking out your teeth when he/she graduated from school and what they're training background in Oral Sugery is.

Also, if some of you are thinking that "I'll just wait til it hurts before I get them out!"... think again, infection/inflamation has an acidic Ph, the acidic molecule found in this environment acutally adheres to the injected anesthetic molecule thus making it physically larger, which makes it unable to pass through very small pores in the nerve sheath called nodes of Ranvier... these small pores are how the anesthetic reaches the nerve thus "numbing" it... so if you have an infection, many times its hard for the dentist to "numb" the tooth 100%!

Why do yo think you hear horror stories about Root Canals?  When do most people see the dentist?  When it hurts because they have an infection.

M.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#31]
kramrd-You are correct on the gums partially covering the wisdoms... That was their reasoning and yes, it WAS a Captain who performed the surgery. So, do me a favor and tell me when my lower sockets will stop aching.P.S-I don't think I have dry socket. Its not bad, just an annoying ache.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#32]
The [b]WORST[/b] USAF dental story that I know of personally happened to this poor enlisted schmuck who lived 3 or 4 doors down the hall in my comm barracks at Yokota AB (Tokyo) in '80.  He reports to the dental clinic to have some prearranged work done.  Some type of general anesthetic is used.  While waiting for the drugs to do their stuff, our victim is (rumor)left for a short time UNATTENDED...long enough for him to collapse & fall out of the chair.  They returned & found him on the floor, out cold and on his way out.  Allergic reaction to whatever was used to knock him out.  Once he was revived, he didn't know who he was, where he was, what his job was, who his roomee was...nothing!  For a good 3 months, he spent his time in the squadron dayroom doing not much of nothing.  At first, those above him thought he was faking the whole thing, but this was not the case.  Our guy was shown pictures of back home, family, etc...  He didn't recognize any of it.  Then one day, like switching on a lightbulb, everything came back to him instantly.  It hit him real hard.  I wouldn't wish what happened to him on anybody...  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top