Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2001 5:06:38 PM EDT
I went to the range today to road test a nice Marlin 1895SS 45/70 levergun I picked up at a recent gunshow. I put a 16X scope on it just to eliminate sighting errors and test some reloads, having read that 2 to 3 inch 5 shot groups are to be expected at 100 yds. I was suprised to get numerous 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch groups, and was about to go home happy when I spotted a 5 inch long lizard sitting on my target frame. We have these little lizards in Florida, they migrated from Cuba, and are cute little bastards, but then so are prairie dogs and we don't have any of them. Anyway I decided to take one last shot, aiming for a head shot, which isn't easy when the varmint has a 3/8 inch head. I fired and nothing seemed to happen. I could still see the lizardo sitting on the metal frame. I went down to retrieve my target, and found the lizard had a death grip on the target frame and no head! Ahahahahaha.
I swear this is true and can attest to the fact that a 405 gr. 45 cal bullet is more than enough gun for Fla. lizard shooting.

Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#1]
ROFLMAO!!!

Nice shooting!!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#3]
[b] But what about the lizards children?!?!?

You murderer!!!![/b]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Purchased one in 1979 and it still surprises people  with it's accuracy. BTW- How do you think John Wayne killed all those Indians? Good shooting Lever actions, the Assault Rifle of the day. John Browning made a device to capture muzzle blast and operate the lever and trigger.
Full Auto lever action. Story was in The American Rifleman 10 yrs. or so ago. Cover story was " Is you Deer Rifle an Assualt Weapon.
Good Shooting.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Was it worth a laugh to needlessly kill?
View Quote

YEP.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think we can afford to lose a couple lizards in the name of a laugh. It's not like we aren't hip-deep in the damn things.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dear god RAF. We must have been married in a past life. It's like a a perfect 50/50 split on what we agree on, and what we disagree on.

I fully agree. Shouldn't have killed the lizzard.

Landon.
Proud hunter and killer of many things, including varmints and pests, but never a lizzard.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

great... I'd have to agree.  What did that lizard ever do to you?  I'm so pissed. I've kill jackrabbits and coyotes and all sorts of birds, but I HAVE NEVER killed an innocent reptile like a lizard.  How horrible.  [;D]

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#11]
when I first read this topic, I saw something different, mainly stunning c....
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll kill rabbits if I am going to eat them.

Never shot a 'yote, but if they are bad, i'd gladly do it.
PrarieDog holes break the legs of Livestock.
Bad news.
Birds? Mmmmmmmm... Tasty. But why kill them if you aren't going to eat them?
I guess it's how I was raised.
I was taught that killing for food is OK. Killing for defense is OK, be it of your person, or your property. Killing for the preservation of a right ideal is OK. Killing for the sake of killing? That's a tough call. I don't go out of my way to step on bugs, nor would I take intentionial aim at a living thing in order to kill it for the sake of a good reactive target.

****************RANT*****************
It kills me that "envirometalists" in their SUV's think they have some respect for nature because they try to limit my hunting rights, but hunters, the men who have a true bond with nature and the earth, are the ones they think to be eco-terrorists.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, I've been wanting to use that Cunning Stunt heading for a while. As far as wrongful lizard carnage goes, Fuck you guys, I'm going to the Orlando gun show tomorrow specifically to pick up a new LIZARD RIFLE...

Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

By all means YES! And if you can kill enough lizards, you can make a nice pair of boots. I now renounce my PETA membership. [smash]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Jeez guys, don't wash your hands, you might kill some ameoba's or bacterium.

Damn my dyslexia, I also was looking forward to some stunning c***.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fuck you guys, I'm going to the Orlando gun show tomorrow specifically to pick up a new LIZARD RIFLE...

View Quote

Gotta admit. That was pretty funny...
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#20]
OK I've reconsidered. I'm going back to the range tomorrow specifically to pluck that lizard off the target frame and eat it. I'm so deflated. Thanks gentlemen, I needed that...

Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
MoleEye, you're dead wrong in your approach, and I pity you.
View Quote

raf, I pity your lack of a sense of humor.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#22]
You should've just shot the lizard's tail,  thereby, proving your marksmanship and sparing the life of the lizard.  Learn from your mistakes. [;)]

BTW Why you need a guide gun in Fla.?
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You should've just shot the lizard's tail,  thereby, proving your marksmanship and sparing the life of the lizard.  Learn from your mistakes. [;)]

View Quote

Cockroaches..
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too damn many guides in Florida...need to cull the herd...
[:D]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#26]
If you look closely in the story you'll notice that the lizzard in question is a exotic species from Cuba and should be wiped out on sight,  just ask any dot com failed gotee head eco terrorist.

Pig
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why do you need an AR15 in the US?
View Quote

Cocksuckers......
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#29]
It was blatantly obvious that the lizard in question was from Cuba.  Obviously, he did NOT have a "green card" with him (pun intended) and is therefore not just a COMMIE LIZARD, but an ILLEGAL ALIEN WELFARE-MOOCHING COMMIE LIZARD.

He begged to be shot, that's all there is to it.  Maybe he will serve as an example to deter is fellow comrades from acting the same way.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Not to brag, but I've done a similar feat.  I was accuracy testing my new heavy-barrelled 10/22 at 50 yards with a bunch of different ammo.  I splurged and bought a box of Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match (YEOUCH! that stuff is expensive!).  I was absolutely stunned that every single round went through the same hole at that range.  

I had just finished adjusting the scope so that the point of impact was right on the crosshairs when a horsefly (no kidding) landed on the target.  I tracked the little bastard around (I've got a 3-12X Simmons on the rifle and had it cranked all the way up) until he finally stopped crawling, then squeezed the trigger.  No fly.  Walked out to the target and there was a hole surrounded by a bloody splatter!  I pulled that target down and showed it to everybody I could find!  I wish I'd kept it.  I should have sprayed that thing with a fixative and framed it.  I had a s**t eating grin on my face the rest of the day.[:D]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cocksuckers......
View Quote

Do you have Tourrettes syndrome? Is this a declaration or are you stating why you own an AR15?
View Quote

Hey troll..its a joke ...a spin off of cockroaches.....

BTW I own an AR15 because the Constitution gives me the inalienable right to own one.

Also dumbass a declaration and stating why I own one are the same thing.....ooops that damn Tourettes again [:D]

Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#34]
As long as you yelled

"LOOK OUT!
IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!"

prior to shooting,
your action is just.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
BTW I own an AR15 because the Constitution gives me the inalienable right to own one.
View Quote
Not to nitpick, but the neither the Constitution nor the Second Amendment "gives you the right" to own arms.  Specifically, the Second Amendment guarantees that your pre-existing inalienable right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed by your government.

It seems that our elected government servants (and I use that term with tongue firmly in cheek) have forgotten that.  And we've let them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#36]
My question is what would have happened had you missed the lizard and hit the metal frame?? Just a thought!!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not to brag, but I've done a similar feat.  I was accuracy testing my new heavy-barrelled 10/22 at 50 yards with a bunch of different ammo.  I splurged and bought a box of Federal Gold Medal Ultra Match (YEOUCH! that stuff is expensive!).  I was absolutely stunned that every single round went through the same hole at that range.  

I had just finished adjusting the scope so that the point of impact was right on the crosshairs when a horsefly (no kidding) landed on the target.  I tracked the little bastard around (I've got a 3-12X Simmons on the rifle and had it cranked all the way up) until he finally stopped crawling, then squeezed the trigger.  No fly.  Walked out to the target and there was a hole surrounded by a bloody splatter!  I pulled that target down and showed it to everybody I could find!  I wish I'd kept it.  I should have sprayed that thing with a fixative and framed it.  I had a s**t eating grin on my face the rest of the day.[:D]
View Quote

You dirty bastard! You massacred a horsefly to satisfy your carnal urge to kill! Damn you!!! Damn you all to hell!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You dirty bastard! You massacred a horsefly to satisfy your carnal urge to kill! Damn you!!! Damn you all to hell!!!!
View Quote
[:D][:D][:D]!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice shot, MoleEye. Don't worry about your critics, everything in nature gets recycled. Nothing gets wasted. Looks like that lizard was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Hey, that's one less lizard that my dog or cats can eat and puke up!
[puke]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 4:46:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I would like to see us, as a cohesive group, speak out against live bait fishermen.  With the technological advances in artificial lures there is absolutely no reason to kill innocent worms, crickets and minnows.  

Eddie
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 4:46:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Poor lizard!
Just kidding, I consider them just like cockroaches.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 4:52:16 AM EDT
[#44]
MoleEye,
 This time you've gone too far.  I can under-
stand and accept the feral cat killings, but
a fucking lizard?  How can you be sure it wasn't
some little Asian kids' pet?  I think about that
poor little child looking around to find his/her
long lost lizard, w/ tears in his eyes until he
finds the remains....missing its' head.

You're going to give all us gun owners a bad
name.

[b] LIZARD KILLER [/b]

[:D]

edited to correct board code
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 5:07:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Hey Mole Eye, maybe you could find a Komodo Dragon to test-wear your body armor? [;)]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 5:45:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Sometimes when hunting coyotes here in Alabama, I'll find a baby rabbit and break one of it's legs then tie it off to a tree by it's neck.  The sound it makes draws in all kinds of yotes and the occasional dog.  Easy to kill that way.
Not really, but that same story sure pissed off a lot of folks when I was on AOL and would cruise the liberal chat rooms!!

C'mon guys!!!  A lizard????  Jesus H. Christ, find something worthwhile to complain about!

Balming
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Ya know.....When I was on active duty, I made it a habit to kill something every day.  Got started that way when I was at RTR and my Senior Drill Instructor, Staff Sergeant Cochran, spread the gospel on how it was our duty to the tax payers of this great country to kill something every day.  

Since "retiring", I have slacked off quite a bit but every now and then the old habit over takes me.  

This mornings mission will be a nerve agent attack on the thousands of ants and a number of spiders that have infiltrated into my yard over the past 3 months.  Ahhh...Mass murder and mayhem as inspired by CWO-3 Pitts, MAG-29 NBC Officer a few years back.

BTW MoleEye, VERY nice shot!!!!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#49]
They taste just like chikin!

BTW, these little lizards (Cuban Anole) are very agressive in the lizard kingdom, I guess, because they have almost completely supplanted the original bright green lizards (Green Anole) that used to be here. They were cooler, could change from bright green to brown in no time if you took  them off a leaf and put them on something brown.

Link Posted: 8/26/2001 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:.....
View Quote

Why ask why?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top