Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2001 4:53:13 PM EDT
Call me stupid, but maybe you've done it too. The other day I left my earplugs out at the range for one shot. Was deaf for hours out of my left ear and slowly am regaining hearing. Continuously hear a ringing sound...[grenade]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't imagine what's it's like in war with you and everybody else with full auto and the many other deafening sounds of war...[:\]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't hear you... I work on Harriers and also have done some shooting without hearing protection, and boy am I paying for it. Had to have my hearing baseline reset back in '95, but I still get ringing in my ears frequently, along with temporary loss of hearing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Sure hope this is nothing permanant, was told it should eventually go away...
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to work for a sound engineering company that did big arena tours. Those bands are  loud!We've measured 135 db at some concerts. I've done the same thing lethal. My ear plugs dont fit as well as my muffs and I was shooting with a newbie and let them use the muffs. One was loose and he let off a round and man was my ear ringing. Just like my concert days! It usually takes a couple of good nights sleep for me to recuperate from these things. Its the prolonged exposure you have to worry about.Just keep wearing your protection bro!
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can't imagine what's it's like in war with you and everybody else with full auto and the many other deafening sounds of war...[:\]
View Quote

People here have said that during an actual gun fight, the adrenlin kicks in and the gunfire doesn't seem loud.  Not sure if something is actually blocking part of the sound or is it just as harmful as normal... but your brain just doesn't allocate resources to 'listen'

Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm an Audiologist in "real life" and can tell you any time you expose your ears to a sound loud enough to make them ring you are damaging them. It is called temporary threshold shift, and means you don't hear so good till the ringing goes away, then your hearing rebounds back, but you have damaged some of the nerves in the inner ear, and repeated episodes leave you a candidate for hearing aids. Don't forget to protect your ears with foam ear plugs on more mundane excursions such as motorcycle and outboard motor rides, even lawnmower rides. It all adds up.

Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can't hear you... I work on Harriers and also have done some shooting without hearing protection, and boy am I paying for it. Had to have my hearing baseline reset back in '95, but I still get ringing in my ears frequently, along with temporary loss of hearing.
View Quote

timh70:  Good to see other Harrier guys here.  I was with 513 when it first started.  I returned from Nam and was reassighed to the air wing.  I put the first Harriers together, after about one year I went with VMA 542 and helped get it started.  Shoot me back an e-mail if you get a chance.
Bill
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Please listen to MoleEye. I started shooting in my late teens with no ear protection at all. Now I have tinitus. The ringing in my ears never stops. It's tough to be in a quiet room, my ears ring like air raid sirens. Night time is the worst. I have to have some kind of "noise" going on in every room all the time as a distraction. No fun at all!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]
lethal, I've had my hearing knocked completely out by HE, and it eventually returned pretty much to normal. And manning a 3"-50 without earplugs is no picnic either. One round is bearable, but after two or three you really start to wince. I have permanent tinnitus but it is very minor. I can still pass a hearing test with flying colors. I think it is repeated exposure to loud noises that will do damage to your ears, so you probably have nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Noise exposure and hearing loss is additive.  One day, maybe 10 or 20 years later you will wake up with tinnitus in your ears to one degree or the other.  Hearing loss and tinnitus go together and the hearing loss ain't nearly so bad as the constant agony of noise in your ear you can't escape.  PROTECT YOUR HEARING!!  I wish I had.

Mauser88, I know what you are going through...
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#16]
huh?  you'll have to speak up sonny.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the very loud tinnitus like everyone is mentioning.  I also have to have a very loud fan on at night to go to sleep.  I once saw a bumper sticker that read, "People with tinnitus never hear the sound of silence."  I say "amen" to that.  It drives me crazy sometimes.  I use earplugs and muffs now, but the damage has been done.  Everyone take heed and use ear protection.  These damn thousand crickets in my ears is really not worth a damn.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#18]
If you wish to learn more about how firearms can harm your hearing, see the following article.

https://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?id=2052

Protect your ears at all costs!  Wear ear plugs PLUS muffs if you can.  You can get electronic ear muffs that you can turn up to hear with even when wearing plugs underneath.

Even a "liddle ole .22" can cause irreversible damage.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top