Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2001 3:17:39 PM EDT
I'm torn between the two...
yes,I'm young and stupid.
been wanting an AR-50 since its introduction, but than I saw the 600c.c. Sportbike.
Please don't tell me the Ar will be cheaper.
I have a Older Kawasaki ZX-6 for trade-in
Also with a nice scope, all decked out and enough ammo, plus a thick shouder pad. Its probable going to cost the same.
Both expensive toys.... and i can't pickup a girl with an AR-50. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Well the bike will devalue in time and the AR50 wont. I had a CBR 900 RR in high school, well it really helped me get some ass.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Tough call.

I would go with the bike, you will get far more use and pleasure from the F4i, trust me...
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
GSXR 750-1000
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Tough call.

I would go with the bike, you will get far more use and pleasure from the F4i, trust me...
View Quote

Get the AR-50.  It may save you from getting killed.  The crotch rocket may get you killed.

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the rifle.  You already have a ZX6, if that is working out alright then get the rifle.  With the Senate going to the dems, and .50s being demonized lately, you should get one while you still can.  Then get a CBR900 when you are ready. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the .50- prior posts were logical in terms of loss of investment over time. maybe your situaution will improve and you can get your dream bike later, may not be so rosy for 50 BMG.
LOL- now sport bike manufacturers are limiting top speed to 186mph, what's next?
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]
P.S. we old guys on our Harley's get all the young babes and Outlaw wanna be's
But 186 mph would be cool
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tough call.

View Quote

Get the AR-50.  It may save you from getting killed.  The crotch rocket may get you killed.

[beer]
View Quote

Ditto.  Any gun is far less risky than any motorcycle.  Check this out: Basic liability insurance for your bike for a one year period is a solid four figures for about $100K of coverage - or I'm moving to your area.  $5 million National Firearms Association liability insurance covering any legal shooting activity is $5.  For those with calculators, using the rough figures above that works out to 50 times more coverage for 200 times less money if you buy the AR50.  Actuarial tables don't fib.  Maybe we should start a buyback program offering new .50s to folks who turn in those dangerous motorcycles?  I might turn in my race-ready Gixxer 11 if someone offered me the right windrunner .50 ... [BD]

Though I've never been injured beyond the bruise/scrape level with a firearm, I did spend two months on the couch courtesy of my GSXR.  To be more accurate, courtesy of a minivan driver who skillfully executed a U-turn in a no U-turn zone from the wrong lane with no shoulder check or signal - while eating a burger.  That two month spell of couch surfing could have been a lot worse - I was wearing full body armor at the time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I dunno, I guess that I just don't see much use for the AR50.  The ammo is incredibly expensive, and most ranges will not allow it to be fired there...  Just seems like a big waste of money.

You will spend tons of cash on a gun that you will hardly ever use, just so you can say you have one.

I would rather have the F4i and spend my nights and weekends carving up the twisties in the North Georgia mountains, instead of looking at my rifle and counting my .50BMG rounds at $2 apiece...

But that's just me I guess...
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
P.S. we old guys on our Harley's get all the young babes and Outlaw wanna be's
But 186 mph would be cool
View Quote

heh.  Bike chikz rule.  It's absolutely the easiest way to pick up women I've ever seen.  My record from seeing a chick at a bus stop to shagging was less than five minutes.  I'm a tad overweight, short and slightly balding.  Conversation went as follows: Want a ride?  Sure.  Where do you want to go? Wherever you're going.  I'm going home.  OK.  ZOOOMMMMRRCCHH.  What's your name? Let's not spoil this... [sex]....

BTW 186 MPH is either REEEALLCRAZY fast (if you're on the road) or a relaxing speed that lets your heart rate come down a tad (if you're on the front straight on a closed course).  Speed is relative to your level of confidence that you have a clear road in front of you and plenty of runoff room.  Do 100MPH at night with stacks of hay bales randomly placed on the road and you've got a good feeling for 186 on a highway in the daytime.  Speeds over 150MPH really belong on the track only.  120MPH is a nice cruise speed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#12]
You're right with your scenario. 75mph on some twisty roads can be Damn exciting on an HD Bagger- especially unfamiliar ones.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Any .50 is just about guaranteed to go up 10x in value once GWB passes the ban into law after next years election when we have a dem controlled house and senate and before '04 (it'd be non-offensive to hunters, and a very big recent goal of gun grabbers, whose vote he'd like) now is the time to buy. I don't see them banning bikes for a while, but they will eventually.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#14]
The most my little Seca II 600 can get to is 135mph or so, depending on head wind...  I tell you, the ground goes by REALLY fast when you are cruising at that speed.

Then my friends on R1's and Triumph 955i's rip past me at 160mph+ without breaking a sweat and make me feel slow...  haha
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#15]
It is hard to disagree with ericm...both would be a kick but the 50 will be a better financial expenditure whether or not you ever make any money on it. Course, having sold a 900 Ninja a couple years ago, man, those riceburners sure can be fun!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy the .50! You've got a good bike, but don't have a .50. In ten years the bike will only be worth 1/4th of it's cost, in 10 years the .50 will be worth 4 times as much. It's a no brainer.
[img]http://www.marinescoutsniper.com/SGTMAJ.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#17]
As stated above, you already got a bike, you may not be able to get the gun in the future.

Also stated above, the BMG ammo is costly.
Unless your heart is set on the 50, you could get a really sweet AR, or FAL or something with money left over.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Get the .50 chicks love 'dangerouse' guys.... or was it ugly guys...  

Did I mention friends don't let friends ride rice burners?
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Did I mention friends don't let friends ride rice burners?
View Quote

What are they supposed to ride?  Iinferior, under-performing, overpriced, 1970's technology, breakdown-prone HD's?
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you want to reach out and touch someone? Or reach out and really touch someone's privates?
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#21]
get the gun!
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 5:34:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Son...Leave that Jap crap alone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Stay away from the CBR600 Fi. They are having problems with the Fuel injection system this year. probably have it fixed by 2002
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Fuel injection sucks on bikes imo.  My injected tl1000r surges on a steady throttle setting in low gears, takes a bit longer cranking than a carbureted bike to start, and isn't quite as cleanly modulated when easing the throttle back on - it seems to be a 3HP or 0 HP type of binary choice at small throttle openings.  Cars work better with injection because these effects aren't visible on something that weighs a ton.  Also bike shops in my area know as much about the effects of electromagnetic fields upon plasma as about fuel injection.  To top it off, it's currently in the shop because the shop somehow managed to trigger fuel injection trouble codes without noticing while they were fixing the sidestand interlock.  I'm not saying it's a dog, but if were to go hunting with it I'll bet it could retrieve.  If you choose a bike, go with carbs and you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I dunno, I guess that I just don't see much use for the AR50.  The ammo is incredibly expensive, and most ranges will not allow it to be fired there...  Just seems like a big waste of money.

You will spend tons of cash on a gun that you will hardly ever use, just so you can say you have one.

I would rather have the F4i and spend my nights and weekends carving up the twisties in the North Georgia mountains, instead of looking at my rifle and counting my .50BMG rounds at $2 apiece...

But that's just me I guess...
View Quote

What do you consider expensive?  On the average I shoot my 50 twice a week.  Ammo runs around 2 bucks per.  Not too much more than 50AE for my Desert Eagle.  What's the problem with that?
If 2 a round is too much, you probably shouldn't be buying a motorcycle either then.

Maybe invest?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#26]
and i can't pickup a girl with an AR-50.
View Quote

Yeah but you can pick[b]off[/b] an ex-girlfriend with the .50 [:D]

Just kidding, hehehe!
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Neither.  I'd get a Yamaha YZF-R6.  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm surprised some dork didn't recommend getting both!

As much as I love shooting, I'd get the bike!

DaMan
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Reality check:
The Honda F-4i won't do 186 mph. Even the full on factory supersport bikes won't do 186 mph.
With a turbo and NOS then you might be able to get that speed out of it.
140-155 is reality for a current 600 sport bike.
And you armchair riders say "well I had the speedo at 165 and I was still accelerating" I say BAAHAHA! Anything above 100 mph on a speedometer is about 5% off on the high side, anything above 140 is about 10% off. The only way to get a true measure of top speed is a radar trap.

You really don't have a choice to make. Finance the bike and the gun together, call the gun "theft insurance".

Link Posted: 8/27/2001 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Reality check:
The Honda F-4i won't do 186 mph. Even the full on factory supersport bikes won't do 186 mph.
With a turbo and NOS then you might be able to get that speed out of it.
140-155 is reality for a current 600 sport bike.
And you armchair riders say "well I had the speedo at 165 and I was still accelerating" I say BAAHAHA! Anything above 100 mph on a speedometer is about 5% off on the high side, anything above 140 is about 10% off. The only way to get a true measure of top speed is a radar trap.

You really don't have a choice to make. Finance the bike and the gun together, call the gun "theft insurance".

View Quote

Actually, both the Hayabusa and ZX12R broke 190mph on the salt flats, totally stock.

Radar gun as well, not just the speedo...

Not surprising when you have 165HP at the rear wheel on a 525 pound aerodynamic bike...
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What do you consider expensive?  On the average I shoot my 50 twice a week.  Ammo runs around 2 bucks per.  Not too much more than 50AE for my Desert Eagle.  What's the problem with that?
If 2 a round is too much, you probably shouldn't be buying a motorcycle either then.
Maybe invest?
View Quote

When I can get .223 cheaper than 9mm for my AR15, that I consider cheap.  I go out and shoot 200-300 rounds per session on average.

I am not about to spend $500 on ammo for an afternoon 2 or 3 times a month.

Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I go out and shoot 200-300 rounds per session on average.

I am not about to spend $500 on ammo for an afternoon 2 or 3 times a month.

View Quote

Do you really think you're going shoot that much ammo with a bolt action .50? On a typical day, I usually only go through 20-30 rounds of .50, and lots more of smaller calibers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Driven an R6 at 169 mph ,Incredible.VFR 750 at 140+,but the finest women I've seen have been at the Harley shop.If your going to spend the money on a gun go class 3. If you're going to spend money on a bike get a hog.Remember ,I said women ,not tiny-bopper jail-bait little girls ,but fine ass women."HD"!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#34]
SquireSCA,
I was talking about current model 600 sport bikes.

There is no way that a stock ZX12R broke 190 since there is a speed limiter written in the black box programing that shuts down the fuel injectors at 186 no matter what.
Proven fact. Same deal with the GSXR1000 and the Haybusa.
That is the Jap bike makers bowing down to the commies of the Euro-Union.
There is a guy who sells a dohicky that plugs into the wire lead of the speedo sensor that tricks the ZX12R into thinking it is running in 5th gear all the time, both the GSXR1000 and the Haybusa have a brain box that can be tweaked with a Power Commander.

The fastest I have ever been on a bike was on my built 90 FZR1000 (147 rwhp dynoed at Lee's Cycles in San Diego). Just outside on Palmdale, Ca, sunny day, 78 degrees outside with a small sidewind, I was clocked with a friends "department" owned radar after a 1 mile runup at 171.
A stock ZX11 did 167, a Muzzy built engined ZX9 did a 189, a stock CBR900 did a 158 and a stock GSXR750 did 160.

>Actually, both the Hayabusa and ZX12R broke >190mph on the salt flats, totally stock.

>Radar gun as well, not just the speedo...

>Not surprising when you have 165HP at the rear >wheel on a 525 pound aerodynamic bike...  
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#35]
The first year of the Busa was not castrated, it did an official top speed at 193.  In the year that followed, it was a couple MPH slower, and last year, the ZX12R came out it was indeed limited to 186mph as per the upcoming UK regulations.  However, they already have a black box that sends the EFI computer a constant 5th gear signal, and with no other modifications, both the new Busa and ZX12R break 190mph.

The bike, stock form, can do it, they just reign it in because they are lame commie bastards...

But the bikes can do it, and I consider those new black boxes simply be tharting a limit set on the bike, so when they break 190 under those conditions, I still think of it as stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top