Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2001 10:26:52 AM EDT
I'll be in Akron, OH, on business, next week.  Anything I should do on Thursday night?  Something in Akron I shouldn't miss?  Conversely, anything in Akron I should avoid?

Thanks!
Edited to put Akron in Ohio, where it belongs.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Devo came from Akron.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out the Akron Aeros AA baseball at Canal Park downtown. They are a Cleveland Indians AA Franchise. The Stadium is about three years old and very nice. Hit the bars or have dinner at Quaker Square. Maybe stay at the Quaker Square Hilton. This is the Original headquarters of Quaker Oats from back in the 1800's. They turned the Silos into hotel rooms and the plant into shops restaurants and bars. Every thing from a Sports bar, Rock bar, and Country bar. Theres are also some good clubs around Canal Park. Try Gilians. If you're not into that, There is always the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland or the Inventors Hall of Fame in Akron or the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton. Akron is not a bad town, Stay away from the area of Rolling Acres Mall or the Copley Rd. area. I don't remember where all the good titty bars are There may be some up on N. Main before you get to Cuyahoga Falls. If your into that just ask around. Any areas near the downtown freeways(I76, I77) should be avoided as well as the neighborhoods surrounding Akron U. off of E. Market St. and E. Exchange St. If your into college bars go to the bars off the campus on E.  Exchange St. but stay out of the neighborhoods. I grew up in Akron but live in another city nearby. Oh yeah, no Offense but if your gay go to the "Innerbelt"
I hear there's lots of gay/lesbian action there. If your not I wouldn't go there unless you want to see the freak show. There used to be some decent bars in the Highland Square area. That is on W. Market towards Fairlawn. There's a couple of places one was called Annabelles, the other The Bucket Shop. I don't know about them anymore, It's been a while since I've been out that way. If your into fine dinning, go to Tangier, that is also on W. Market. If you end up going to Quaker Square have a steak at the Tavern Restaurant in the basement. If your going on business  and it's going to be downtown then stay at the Quaker Square Hilton every thing I mentioned is close. Enjoy your stay.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Devo came from Akron.
View Quote

So did Chrissy Hynde. Mike Mouthersbaugh writes music for kids shows now.[moon]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Take a 40 min. drive up to Cleveland and go to an Indians game at Jacobs field (they are in town next week v. Boston).  Even if the games are sold out, scalped tickets are readily available on the street for about face value.

There are a lot of bars and stuff around Jacobs that are fun.  Cleveland also has the rock hall of fame (which is worth a visit if you like that kind of thing).  The warehouse district and flats (they are next to each other) are a good place to visit for good food and drink.

Akron has a nice minor league team (the Aeroes) but they are out of town most or all of next week.  There are some decent places to hang out near the ball park (Canal Park) in downtown Akron.

I can't give you a whole lot of detail about things to do in Akron, because I am not there a lot.  I can give you more advice if you have the time to come up to Cleveland.

Link Posted: 8/24/2001 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out "Pro Gun" in Cuyahoga Falls...has an indoor range that can handle .50BMG rounds! A lot of AR people hang out there so you'll be in good company. Plus G36's show up there too with the local PD SWAT teams for training, oggling and maybe a chance to fire one...the coffee isn't to bad, can be caustic but not too bad[uzi]

The owner, Tom, can fill you in on local night life and partake is some libations after closing on Thursdays[beer]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh yeah, no Offense but if your gay go to the "Innerbelt", I hear there's lots of gay/lesbian action there. If your not I wouldn't go there unless you want to see the freak show.
View Quote

Funny you should mention that place...  10 years ago, I used to love going to the drag shows there, with my gay friends.  I'm very straight, but enjoy gay bars because of the superior music, drink prices, and especially the decor.  You also won't find typical drunks and bar fights at them!

BTW:  Gay bars are often times the best places to meet extremely hot straight chicks. They typically can feel very "safe" and let their guard down...  Don't believe me, ask a friend that has been to one!
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#8]
damn, i'm old.
thinking to self- "devo's from akron? who's he? someone on the board?"- duh.

sukebe- ditto.

antiussa- ditto.

if you crave pub-type food, find a rockne's
if you wan't to try an old fashioned drive-in, find a swenson's
rizzi's for home-style italian.
el campesino in stow for authentic mexican- including the staff.
trendy health-type food, try the mustard seed market in fairlawn.
steak? ken stewart's. lots more.

pro-gun is real cool. black guns behind the back counter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]
There's a very nice gun/outdoors store in Ashland, OH, not too far from Akron along I-71.  It's Fin Feathers Fur Outfitters, 419/281-2557, the same guys who set up on commercial row at Camp Perry.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like I'm gonna have to hit Pro Gun![:D]

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep them coming!

I ditto the gay bar thing.  I'm straight, and have had gay friends who have taken me to "their" hang outs.  No fights, good music, cheap booze.  Once you are marked as "off the market", then you get left alone.  At least that has been my experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top