Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2001 4:54:37 PM EDT
Since both my job and my wife's are kinda in a standstill, I have been thinking of moving. It is a perfect time to do so since this school year, my daughter is in 8th grade and my son is in the 5th. Both of them will be going to a totally new campus next year anyway, so I figured that the move will not really get to them.

Okay for the criteria,

- Very nice, modern but conservative school system. A good university nearby would be nice so I can further my studies too.

- Has good income potential for both medical and technical jobs

- Population should be at most 150K with at least 80% of all household belonging to the "a little above" average income group.

- Must be a progressive city with an infrastructure that can support exponential growth.

- City and State must be gun-friendly for possible C3 acquisition in the near future.

- [b]"maybe you guys can add some more..."[/b]

Please be serious with your replies. Thanks a million.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Ralliegh/Durahm, NC

Fits the bill of what you said EXACTLY !!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Forgot...

- nice weather. not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Forgot...

View Quote

Well, I was going to say Oregon. It fits the bill of everything you said, including moderate climate, but...

- Very nice, modern but [b]conservative[/b] school system. A good university nearby would be nice so I can further my studies too.
View Quote

...disqualifies Oregon. It's the nosering capitol of the world.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
How about Fargo, North Dakota? It has everything on your list EXCEPT maybe too cold in the winters. But not all winters are bad![;)]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I see you're in Texas already. You can only go downwards.

I'm in Kalifornia (Silly-con Valley) and now that my dad has passed away, I'd love to move to Austin.  Had a chance awhile back, turned it down - used to go down there every month or two when I worked for Big M (Motorola).

Austin appears to have some good public schools (varying by area), close to UT, and jobs (well, when the economy bounces back).  Pretty good place for techies and some biz types.

TX has no state income tax.  Low crime in nice burbs esp in Austin, TX has CCW, places to shoot, steakhouses, concerts...... damn, I'm movin' there...  

-Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Georgia?
Lots of areas around Atlanta that should offer what you are looking for. Weather, well the winters aren't bad and you should be able to handle the heat being from Texas. We have C3, CC, BBQ.

BMB
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#8]
ms_embroidery,

North Dakota is way toooo cold for me.

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
North Dakota is way toooo cold for me.
View Quote

aahhh, come on now....just think how much fun it would be to snuggle up with your family to stay warm! Plus your kids would love the snow. Snowmobiling, ice skating, ice fishing and more!

But seriously, Fargo/Moorhead has 3 universities, 3 hospitals with a need for nurses etc, beautifuls homes, I could go on and on! Besides two of my daughters live there. We are just 55 miles away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Arizona.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#11]
After talking this with my kids and wife, I figured that I will not move out of Texas. We have family and friends here that we will surely miss.

So after a lot of thinking, I came up with two places. For those guys here in Texas, what do you think about Sugarland or Austin.

thanks for any help/advice
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I live in San Antonio TX
Work in Austin TX. love both cities. both have good school systems. Austin has an awsome job market once it bounces back.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#13]
My brother and his family moved to Ga. last year. Both had no jobs and no real prospects. Both had good paying jobs outside of Atlanta in a week!. I'm going to join them in two years! Very gun friendly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Riddler, Have you thought about the Trans-Pecos part of West Texas?  Alpine has cooler weather, close to mountains, Sul Ross Univ., lots of open spaces, an arts community, etc, etc.  You're close to Marfa and Ft. Davis (which has great schools for a small town due to the profs at the McDonald Observatory), close to Big Bend.

Just an idea.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in Houston and visit Austin alot.  
Either Sugarland or Austin would be a good choice.  Lots of similarities too. Both are relatively new if you will and suffer from growing pains.  Getting into Houston on Hwy 59 is a joke.  It's under construction but nowhere near finished.  Getting anywhere in Austin now especially north to south is even worse.  I would suggest finding the jobs and then finding somewhere to live close by.  I just can't stand to be stuck in traffic.

Each has the medical and technical prospects you seek.  Although Houston may have more needs in the med field especially for nurses.

Schools..again depends where you actually live as some even within same district are different.
Universities everywhere.

Austin is obvioulsy more progressive and has certain advantages for the young but Houston is a major metroplitan city and is really trying hard (too hard by me) to break into world class status.  Museums, Arts, lots of good restaurants, etc.  

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.  Actually I'm thinking about getting some land up near Bastrop as we speak.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#16]
leadfly,

I am very familiar with the traffic on US 59. I hope that the construction will be over soon. I do however do not understand what is it with earth tone colors on all businesses there in Sugarland.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#17]
What about San Angelo,TX. I have always thought it to be a nice place.
Jim Hall
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#18]
My part of MD fits what you want pretty well, [i]even the Class III part[/i]!!  Hard to believe, huh?
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Georgia?
Lots of areas around Atlanta that should offer what you are looking for. Weather, well the winters aren't bad and you should be able to handle the heat being from Texas. We have C3, CC, BBQ.

BMB
View Quote

Yep, everything he said is correct.  Just remember, the traffic around Atlanta is a cast iron bitch.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Okay for the criteria,

- Very nice, modern but conservative school system. A good university nearby would be nice so I can further my studies too.

- Has good income potential for both medical and technical jobs

- Population should be at most 150K with at least 80% of all household belonging to the "a little above" average income group.

- Must be a progressive city with an infrastructure that can support exponential growth.

- City and State must be gun-friendly for possible C3 acquisition in the near future.

View Quote

Sounds like Scottsdale, AZ to me.

Tech is moving to Phoenix area cause they are tired of CA. The CEO of Intel and Applied already said that publicly. Good schools around. Upper middle class in Scottsdale. AZ is a C3 state. The Phoenix area is growing.

I have personally been concentrating on getting a job out there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry about the heat but your gonna want to consider the Clear Lake area. It is half way between Houston and Galveston. It is the center of the universe for the NASA work on shuttle and station.

The are is mostly "white collar" due to the space industry. There are thousands of things to do all around the Houston area but you can just stay down south and avoid Houston if you want.

And if you want to have a few beers with some "good old boys" then there's plenty of that around too.

Other than the heat in the summer it is really quite a place. The fall, winter, and spring are absolutely beautiful around here.

And you already live in Texas so you know how gun-friendly this state is.

Good luck on the decision.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#22]
retrodog is right on regarding clear lake, tx, visit there once a year for last 10 years. other than the mother killing her kids it is a neat place with lots of water sports, good economy, gun friendly, good food and better looking women. good luck to all of you moving, i am hoping to in a few years, it is a lot of work!
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Forgot...

View Quote

I guess you pretty much ruled out north Texas with that one......
                 fullclip
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#24]
How about central Florida?  I used live in Orlando.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#25]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/SPECTRE%2FarizonaCx%5Fc%2Egif[/img]
ARIZONA !!!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Alaska
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#27]
DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR AND MOVE TO "V.A." WE ARE A PRO GUN STATE AS OF RIGHT NOW AND WE HAVE NICE BEACHES AND GOOD HUNTING & FISHING. SOUTHEASTERN V.A.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Come down to Brenham!

Brenham is a very nice town, friendly people, population is around 17,000, good schools, A&M is just up the road, plus Blue Bell is made here!  Washington County is gorgeous in the spring w/ the blue bonnets in full bloom, rolling hills.  Chappell Hill is pretty cool, got a great cigar shop with great coffee.  Got some of the very best antique shops and bed/breakfasts.  Visit, you may not leave! :)

We moved to Brenham with pretty much nothing in '97 and don't want to ever leave.  Even though something else maybe in the cards, we WILL come back to Brenham.  Never again, will we live in a large town.

Link Posted: 8/26/2001 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#29]
How do you Texans feel about Corpus Christi?

Link Posted: 8/26/2001 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Corpus........
Sucks!  
Sorry if any Corpusites here on this board.  The people can't drive, the bay is ugly although the breeze is nice but I just didn't get a very good impression of the place the three or four times we visited family down there.

Just my .0000002 worth.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for all the replies guys!

After a lot of thought and research, I think that Austin has my number. It is not as flat as where I currently am and has lots of greenery. The job market for both medical and technical fields looks very bright.

But most of all, I have 4 yrs. to really settle down until my daughter will go to college. It also is just an hour and a half from our relatives in San Antonio.

Okay.....Now that I have more or less an idea where I want to relocate, where in Austin. Is the Northwest side of Austin the place for me??

Would appreciate any inputs from y'all....thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Northwest Austin is nice.  I live in the Arboretum area. Traffic is not that bad compared to other major cities like DFW or Htown.
Lots of gun ranges around town, Reds, Cooks, Austin trap/skeet range.
If you are into C# another plus is that there is a stocking C3 dealer in Town, "Just Guns" on Congress. The CLEO of Travis County apparently has no problem signing for MG, Suppressor, or whatever the hell you want. Just make an appointment and they will even do your fingerprint cards for you.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, nothing like the smell of a fresh Phoenix-Metro resident melting into the blacktop..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top