Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2001 12:56:41 PM EDT
I just got a job in a gun store in ForestPArk Ga
I am 19 but the NRA summary of laws and my boss both said it was legal for me to carry a weapon(handgun) legally in the store while working. I need something under $300 in price, accurate, semi-auto and something I can still find high-caps for a decent price for.
what do ya'll recomend?
-Chuck
I was thinking a ruger p-89 9mm?
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]
A good used revolver.
Why a semi?
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#2]
HS 2000?

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
$300?  

HS2000.  No question about it.  Beats the pants off the Ruger, and most other guns as well.  

I had a Kimber Pro Carry, Beretta P92, Glock 19, Ruger P95DC, Kahr P9, CZ100 and many others, and pound for pound, the HS2000 was the best of the bunch.

You can also get Mil-surplus hicaps for dirt cheap.

The HS2000 has a grip safety, accepts Sig 226 night sights, uses Beretta/Taurus/Sig226 hicaps, and has true ambidextrous mag release.  It has a button on either side, and either will drop the mag.

Accuracy is great, my IDPA scores went WAY up when I went from the Glock 19 to the HS2000.  Utterly reliable, cheap, built like a friggan tank...

Like I said, I owned alot of guns that people consider to be top-notch, but the HS2000 was the one that I kept.  It was just as good if not better than the others I listed above...

[url]www.hsarms.com[/url]

Go check it out, you will thank me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Ruger 89.  We have kind of an anti-Ruger following here, but for a first pistol, it will do nicely.  Can't your boss hook you up with a used semi?
Ice
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, i'm an HS nut too... Better gun than the Glock, at damn near 1/2 the money.
But the "Hi-Cap" issue still remains.
Although my pre-bans I modified work 100%, still. Some people just can't deal with it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I need something under $300 in price,
[b]HS2000[/b]
accurate,
[b]HS2000[/b]
semi-auto
[b]HS2000[/b]
and something I can still find high-caps for a decent price for.
[b]HS2000[/b]
Go to [url]www.hs2000talk.com[/url] for info on getting high-caps that can be modified for the HS2000.

edited to fix link
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I already typed all I can type about the HS on another thread..

What one was it?
I think someone was asking about hand...

OH YEAH!
The one where the guy was trying to decide betweeen the Beretta, Browing, or HS!
That one!

Go read that thread...
I put a shitload of HS info there, including a pic of a grouping I shot with it during a competition.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Here are some of my own reviews of the HS2000:

[url]http://www.gunmonkeycentral.com/c_hs2k.html[/url]

[url]http://www.gunmonkeycentral.com/hs2kreport.html[/url]

[url]http://www.gunmonkeycentral.com/hs2kissue.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really trying to stir things up but doesn't the above statement need to be modified???
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Ruger P95 for sale on the boards.  E-mail me if you are interested (de-cocker version).  If you work in a gunstore, maybe we can work out a partial trade (especially if you get discounts on some things).

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Really dumb question, but what is a HS2000?
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]
A makarov with MagSafe ammo would be a good choice for budget self-defense.  9x18mm by itself isn't a very potent round.

A standard Mak has a 8 round magazine, but you can get add ons that expand the capacity to 12 rounds.  It's semi auto, reliable, and an unissued one runs $110.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Landon I agree with you. A revolver is a good first gun. I have Colt Detective, it is a smoth action, compact and shoots very accurate.
Auto loaders are great, but a revolver allows a choiice of ammo, and cost, I bought mine for $200. Oh and you do not have to chase brass.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I Really dumb question, but what is a HS2000?

was going to ask the same dumb question...
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#15]
[url]www.hsarms.com[/url]

Aviator  [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not really trying to stir things up but doesn't the above statement need to be modified???
View Quote

How so?  The HS2000 is designed to take the 15 and 18 round Beretta/Taurus hicaps.  That is the same mag as the military uses, and there are a buttload of Beretta surplus hicaps on the market.  I got a pair of NIB 18 rounders for only $50 with shipping.  You drill a simple hole in the front for the mag release to catch, and it pops right in and works great.

And because you are not altering the mag to take more ammo than it was designed for, and are not modifying it so that won't function in the Beretta, it is totally legal to convert the mag for the HS2000.

You take 2 minutes to drill a small hole, and smooth it out with a rat-tail file, and you are in business.

You can get 3 or 4, 18 round Beretta hicaps for the price of a single 15 round Glock mag.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#17]
My original note:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Your statement:
Quoted:
How so?  The HS2000 is designed to take the 15 and 18 round Beretta/Taurus hicaps.  That is the same mag as the military uses, and there are a buttload of Beretta surplus hicaps on the market...

...You drill a simple hole in the front for the mag release to catch, and it pops right in and works great...

You take 2 minutes to drill a small hole, and smooth it out with a rat-tail file, and you are in business.
View Quote

Now I consider it modified.  I'm not being an ass but I just think people need to know what to expect.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You can get 3 or 4, 18 round Beretta hicaps for the price of a single 15 round Glock mag.
View Quote

Not really fair, G17 (17rd.) NDF mags can routinely be found for $50 +/-.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#19]
[size=5]WOW![/size=5]
And I thought I'd be the first one on this post to praise the HS2000 as the prime choice...I thought me, Uzi - err - *cough* LANDON, and Aviator were it's only followers!  Glad to see I'm wrong guys, good job [:)]

But seriously, the HS2000 is a great pistol - matches or outdoes any Glock - for the budget, or even budget aside!  There's nothing not to love about this autoloader.  Accurate, Reliable (have put 500 rounds through it with MODIFIED mags with no feed/fire problems), Cost efficient, and has a beaver-tail safety that must be used during fire/cocking - great for preventing misfires.  This baby will shoot SERIOUS 2-3" groups at 25 yards, and I'm already rigging this thing out for a holster and such for IDPA.

Magazines for these are a cinch.  [url]www.cdnninvesments.com[/url] sell S&W Mod59 "ProMags", which are aftermarket 15rd'ers, for $14.  These are cheap, easy to convert, and reliable - and those aren't even the higher capacity models!  Beretta and Taurus make 17/18 round magazines for conversion as well, and you only have to drill a mag catch for it.  I have 3 S&W's, and have just bought three more from a friend.

DONT DONT DONT Get a Ruger P-89.  The thing is more of a stovepipe than it is a handgun.  They've made considerable improvements in this line, so if you DO decide to go Ruger, please get a P94/95 instead.

But if you're SMART, you'll recognize the HS2000 as a superior firearm [;)]
Happy Hunting!

[img]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/new jew.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a P-94. My HS shoots and feels much better than the Ruger.

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
[url]www.cdnninvesments.com[/url]
View Quote

That the correct link??

Can't get it to work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I went to the HS2000 forum and i read a lot of complaints on FTE, FTF, and rust.  Am I missing something, or why does everyone like them so much? because of the price?

Remember, you get what you pay for.  [pistol]

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#23]
It is actually

www.cdnninvestments.com
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:10:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
[DONT DONT DONT Get a Ruger P-89.  The thing is more of a stovepipe than it is a handgun.  They've made considerable improvements in this line, so if you DO decide to go Ruger, please get a P94/95 instead.
View Quote

I have a P89, P94, P95 (all 9mm), a P90, a P97 (in .45) and a P944 in .40 cal.  I also have several Sigs.  The P94 and P95 are a little more slick to look at but the function is really no different.  My P89 and it's twin, the P90, function flawlessly and are very accurate, as do all my Rugers.  Of course the Sigs do too.  I am not knocking the HS2000, as I have no experience with it, but let's not be knocking the Rugers either.  I know that some people don't like Bill Ruger's supposed giving in to the feds, but check your history.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree, LARRYG.  My Ruger p-89 is accurate, eats anything, and is overall a good handgun.  Get one in STAINLESS, though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Everybody and their mother, who has owned a P89, has told me that they have had terrible FTF problems in their weapon.  Certainly that's only a few out of many, but when the only 3-4 guys you know with 89's have PROBLEMS with them, I'd like to think that something went wrong in the process - it definately swayed me from ever purchasing one.  I'm not knocking Ruger (I don't give two shits about the "history" of it), and I find their 94/95 line to be a great addition.  In fact, a certain P94 Stainless was going to be my choice before I found the HS2000.

Sorry about the link, I misspelled it.
It's  [url]www.cdnninvestments.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:22:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Ruger P-89.  Over 3000 rounds never a single jam of any kind.  I have fired rapid fire with 30rd mags.  Left it dirty.  Gone rafting with it and in general abused and carried it for nearly 7 years now.  Personally, I do not know anyone with a carry side arm with that track record (save a few wheel guns, but with fewer rounds through them).  My father owns one and had a firing pin problem which the factory promply replaced the slide assy (six months after he got it) since then never one problem.

My flying partner has one.  Never had a single problem and he can rapid fire even faster than I can.  Just took out an older friend of mine to try out his recently aquired P-85.  In ten minutes he was hitting a pop can from 15yds consistantly.  We'll see how his holds up.

Finally, I and my aforementioned partner, can hit at least as well with ours as any other manufacturer's auto save one custom .45 owned by a friend.  Planerench out.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I went to the HS2000 forum and i read a lot of complaints on FTE, FTF, and rust.  Am I missing something, or why does everyone like them so much? because of the price?

Remember, you get what you pay for.  [pistol]

View Quote

No, the FTE's were due to cheap out of spec ammo from the Winchester 100 round bulk packs from Wal-Mart.  We broke out the Micrometers, and the Winchester grooves on the case were way out of spec.  It appeared to only be the 100 round bulk packs, as their regular 50 round boxes were in spec.

My HS2000 was flawless with the 10 or so other types of ammo I used.

And there was a guy or two that said something about mild rust.  That was from them cleaning the gun with solvent and water, and then not wiping it down with a cloth or anything.

With the HS2000, you don't get what you pay for.  I would still take a Gen3 HS over a Glock anyday.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Remember, you get what you pay for.  

View Quote

Yep. If you buy cheap out of spec ammo that later gets pulled from sale, you'll probably have problems.

If you try to use an industrial cleaner/solvent instead of paying for hoppes, and you're dumb enough not to dilute it to a 30-1 mix like their directions say, you're probably going to eat thru the blued finish make rust possible.

Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I have used and still use those Winchester value pack's from wally world,  both on my USP9's, Sig 226, and Ruger P89 (recently sold), and have never had a problem with it.  not knocking the HS2000 either.  just from what I read in the Forum.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#31]
One other thing I didn't sell the Ruger because function was bad.  It always worked great just that my HK's were better.  It served me well while I had it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Just save an extra $500 and buy a Glock 17 9mm.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I had a Glock 19, and got rid of it because the HS2000 was a better gun.  I also had a Kimber Pro Carry, and a Beretta P92 Custom Carry, and the HS2000 beat them as well.

I don't believe in paying outrageous prices for a brand name, just so I can be "cool" and say that I own a trendy Glock.

I bought one, liked it, but it was not any better or worse than many of the other guns I have owned, so I ditched it.

And putting a G19 alongside an HS2000, even if money were not the issue, I would still take the HS2000.

The HS has better ergonomics, cheaper hicaps, more features, shoots better, and has a better trigger.

And when you do toss in the purchase price, Glock gets blown out of the water.

As for the Winny bulk packs, they WERE out of spec.  Being that the HS2000 uses the NATO spec for 9mm, the bulk packs were out of spec enough that it SOMETIMES caused a few FTE's.

Easily solved, you just need to spend an extra $1 for better ammo.

I never had a problem with rust, even when after wearing it for hours in Atlanta and my sweat would seep through the cheap Uncle Mike's holster, so that the sweat was beaded all over the left side of the slide.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just save an extra $500 and buy a Glock 17 9mm.
[sniper]
View Quote

HS is a better gun at 1/2 the money.
Glock and HS both do the same thing (Work flawlessly) excepth the HS trigger is so superior, it allows for much better shooting without having to "get used to" a springy trigger.
Keep in mind I also own a Glock 17, and a Glock 20.
While my Glock 20 is my favorite, if HS ever made a 10MM that took Glock 20 mags, I would sell my G20 in a heartbeat.

[uzi] [b]OVERPRICED GLOCKS COMPARED TO THE HS[/b]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#35]
YEAH I PICKED UP THAT GUN IN THE SHOP TODAY!!!!!!!!!!
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!
THE HS2000 ROCKS!!!!

Thx for all the responses
-Chuck
[pistol]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh yeah Revolvers are ok but I like to have extra clips...
-Chuck
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Oh yeah Revolvers are ok but I like to have extra clips...and the speed of loading again
-Chuck
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I agree, LARRYG.  My Ruger p-89 is accurate, eats anything, and is overall a good handgun.  Get one in STAINLESS, though.
View Quote

I got all mine in stainless, except for the polymer frame ones.  I then had all the Rugers and Sigs Black T'ed by Birdsong.  Double protection and I prefer black guns.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
YEAH I PICKED UP THAT GUN IN THE SHOP TODAY!!!!!!!!!!
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!
THE HS2000 ROCKS!!!!

Thx for all the responses
-Chuck
[pistol]
View Quote

It's a SWEET little number, isn't it?  If you like it now, wait till you put about 500+ rounds through it - then you will become addicted.  HS Arms did good, damn good, with the 9mm, and they are supposedly going to create a .40 and .45ACP line within the next few months, all under $400.

If only I didn't have to buy food...blasphemy!
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#40]
One vote here for the CZ75 for about $310 with a standard mag and a 10 rd'er. Extra standard mags about 40-45 per.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top