Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2001 10:34:59 AM EDT
Tuscaloosa News- 8 yr. old boy suspended for rings in ears. Gov  Don Singleman said he had no sympahy for him, called people with things stuck in all their places idiots, if they needed them they would have been born with them. Made a call to his office this morn and told them I may vote for him next time he runs for office.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#1]
if they needed them they would have been born with them
View Quote

Right.  
Okay, that's my nomination for today for most insipid statement by an elected official.   Anyone got a better one?
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmm,  Whos to say that he can't have them? His parents while he is this young.  Do you want someone else preaching what *YOU* Can and CAN'T do?   I don't.

Btw, If you want guns, you would have been born with them.

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not pierced or tattooed, but good to know where you all stand. People who need rifles with more than a 5round internal mag are idiots, if you needed an AR you would have been born with it.

Lets behave like a bunch of damned liberals and cut up others freedoms that we don't agree with, or doesn't pertain to us. you all hardline repub types make me just about as sick as the tree hugging commies do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I wasn't born with glasses, therefore I don't need them. Your granny wasn't born with hearing aids. Stupid assed statement.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#5]
They have the freedom to do that.  It is just a shame to start queering up a boy that early.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I heard the sound bite on the morning news.  He said something like "If God had wanted him to wear earrings, he would have been born a [b]girl[/b]!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to see all compulsory education laws done away with, and just educate the kids whose parents think it's a really good idea for their kids to show up and get educated.

What were the parents thinking? That Little Johnny is sufficiently mature to decide whether he needs to have ear rings or not at age 8? That at this stage of Little Johnny's life that he needs to take on the school system over such a trivial matter as an ear ring? That rules, as such, are made for the 'other people' and not for him? That he can cause a ruckus, get cut from class, make the newspapers and CNN, make a big lawsuit that everyone will be buzzing about at school, and either return to school with or without the ear rings in a big production number with all cameras rolling, AND NOT think that all this has created a total disruption of classes?

It's already caused a disruption in the school!

Dress codes are dress codes. There are rules and Little Johnny will be made to obey them or there is always alternative school.

It's a little lesson that he will appreciate in the long run. So will his parents, I suppose.

And insofar as Little Johnny's rights are concerned, you do not have a right to attend school in a manner that the administrators of that school have found to be disruptive.
Would you say the same thing about an 8 year old girl who wanted to wear a navel ring to school?  A pierced nipple that she can exhibit at 'Show and Tell'? How about a tongue stud for someone who's just learning how to properly pronounce words?  If not, why not? It's all about personal liberty is it not?

How young is TOO young, to be allowed to make such decisions?

Save your fights for things that truly matter!

Eric The(ICanJustPictureHisParentsNow)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#9]
His parents should be the ones making that decision...not the school.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#10]
So, let me get this straight, [b]IF[/b] Little Johnny's parents wanted to dress him up as a little girl and send him to school, the school administration would have absolutely no right to say anything whatsoever about that matter?

If it works for ear rings, it's gotta work for dresses and skirts as well!

What about that navel ring, nipple ring, or toungue stud issue? Doesn't the same rule apply?

Eric The(OldFashioned)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Arrogant, liberal, scumbag POS!!!  

It is none of his GD business what people do unless they are breaking the law...

born with them?  I guess those folks who need pacemakers, hearing aids, eye glasses, walkers, makeup, deodarant, cologne, perfume, clothes, shoes, money, artificial limbs, titanium bones/botls, etc...well, they should have just been born with it....these know it all, I know whats good for you people are the worst excuses for homosapiens...their kind will end up killing this planet.

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule."
H.L. Mencken

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Right on HunMeister.  As usual, I can add nothing to your reply.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#13]
The child's welfare is up to the parents.  

Unless they are breaking the law, why should the school, administration, or attorneys be involved?

I don't get it.  Please explain how exhibiting one's personality in school should be minimized just because the guy in charge says he doesn't like it?  

Will that apply to Freedom of Speech in schools if they don't like what he has to say?

IF they are not breaking LAWS, they have no right to interfere.

IF they are breaking LAWS, pursue to the matter to the extent the law provides.

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They have the freedom to do that.  It is just a shame to start queering up a boy that early.  Planerench out.
View Quote

Thats the problem with today we as a society are to caught up on how people Look/dress/social standing etc. I mean your statement about being a queer. I wore a Kilt to my Prom. my wedding and other social events. What is a Kilt but a socialy excepted Skirt Im not a "QUEER" just because you wear earing dosnt make you Queer. But because of people and all their damn "can you belive how that person looks/is dressed/talk? "They must be below me"

I dont care if a peson has every DAMN oriface on his bodiy peirced Yeah in a school setting it can be disruptive but that only because of people putting to much worth on "LOOKS" and Holiwood/Media?Public Schools teach Us its OK to steriotype the FREAKS.

P.S. If its against schol rules he shouldnt be able to wear them....But the rule is Moronic its baised on a Social Bias and not any true wrong!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats the problem with today we as a society are to caught up on how people Look/dress/social standing etc. I mean your statement about being a queer. I wore a Kilt to my Prom. my wedding and other social events. What is a Kilt but a socialy excepted Skirt Im not a "QUEER" just because you wear earing dosnt make you Queer. But because of people and all their damn "can you belive how that person looks/is dressed/talk? "They must be below me"

I dont care if a peson has every DAMN oriface on his bodiy peirced Yeah in a school setting it can be disruptive but that only because of people putting to much worth on "LOOKS" and Holiwood/Media?Public Schools teach Us its OK to steriotype the FREAKS.

P.S. If its against school rules he shouldnt be able to wear them....But the rule is Moronic its baised on a Social Bias and not any true wrong!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't have a problem with ethnic 'costumes' at appropriate times.  If you wear a skirt all the time though, don't be surprised if I and about 200 million other US citizens think you a little out of place.

If a girl of African decent shows up with her breasts bare at high school because her ancestors wore (or didn't) that outfit it is not appropriate and the faculty is reasonable to require her to stay home if the dress is not modified.  Also, children do not have constitutional rights certain things are prohibited.

I love when a purple, spike haired freak gets all bent out of shape when you look at him for 1/2 of a second longer that any other passer by.  "What are you lookin' at?"  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#17]
were talking about a 8 year old boy! shit wtf
lets go ahead and stack the odds against the
boy. hell why not go ahead and let him wear
a dress and high heels too!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#18]
this is simple....i dont dress your kids so dont dress mine. chances are if your from the country and think its queer to wear earings,well chances are if your from the city then you would think its queer to wear cowboy boots. its all about personal preference. kinda like those kids who wear all black and have every part of there body pierced.ie new wavers. if you look at them, you tend to say god damn there wierd. then when you get to know them, you say god damn this is a good kid.  personal preference.

flame on
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#19]
No one's trying to dress this 8 year old kid at all! The school is simply saying that if you wish to come to this school, you must conduct yourself in a manner in which those in charge of this school have found to be most conducive to learning!

If you don't like the decisions we've made, come to our school board meetings and complain, present your views, argue the relative rights of your rights to dress your kids in any manner you see fit, irrespective of what the duly elected folks on the school board have decided.

When all sides have presented their arguments, then a vote is taken.  If the school board has decided to side with the principal's stand on what constitutes 'misconduct' in a school in which everbody's children are also attending and attempting to get an education, then that's the whole shooting match. Game over.

That's called freedom as exercised in a true Republic!  If you don't like the people's representatives deciding on issues [u]in which no constitutional rights are involved[/u], then you don't like the sort of representative democracy found in this Republic.

Goes for long hair and a beards, sorry, that's just the way it is! BTW I've had long hair and a beard all of my adult life. My [u]adult[/u] life.

And if it's all a matter of personal freedom, do you then believe that the 8 year old boy has a right to have his ears pierced and to wear ear rings, EVEN IF HIS PARENTS DISAPPROVE?

Eric The(Yeah,Right!)Hun[>]:)}
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#20]
would be ok if earrings were totally banned, I'm betting an 8 year old girl could walk in there with earrings and it would be no problem.
i would think it would fall under sexual discrimination then same applies to long hair on guys and yes even skirts on guys in public schools, I don't care about earrings, I have long hair myself but a skirt on a guy I would not care for, but who am I to judge? Who are any of the rest of you?

If instead of earrings it was a bracelet with something about jesus on it I know almost EVERY one of you would be whistling a different tune. And yes prayer is allowed in schools, just not FORCED like you'd like it to be.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#21]
eric help me understand this then. what does this have to do with him getting or recieving an education? it doesn't. i dont believe that the earings will keep his abc's from sticking in his mind for the rest of his life. only thing i see is this child is getting his first dose of censorship and will probaly wreck his trust in adults. so in turn you showed this child that his opinion doesnt/shouldnt matter.and yes an 8 year old should be able to atleast voice his opinion, wether or not you agree with it then thats you and how you operate.
once again flame on
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#22]
The boy's opinion dose not matter.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The boy's opinion dose not matter.
View Quote

because it's not in line with what you or the bible or GWB thinks is right, right?

edited because I looked back at some of your previous statements here, no queering him up at age 8 is not right...in my opinion but thats just what it is, my opinion it don't mean shit, what does though is freedom and you cant say certain people are free to wear earrings and others arent or certain people are allowed to wear skirts and others arent. They could make a dress code rule about no earrings for anybody and it would be perfectly fine. PRIVATE institutions are the only ones allowed to discriminate based on sex,religion,homo, even race. and thats the way it should be.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Planerench then by saying that then i dont think they should allow bibles to get within a 100 yds of school either. i dont want my children reading that stuff. it tends to cause people to be hmmmmmmmmm close minded.

ok really flame on
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#25]
The opinion of any 8 year old concerning his best interests is not important.  If he had his way he would watch TV and eat oreos in his Underoos.  He would never wish to be spanked or deprived of anything he wanted.  All humans are under some controlling authority.  It is time his dumass parents realized that the system is doing them a favor.  Planerench out.  BTW what dose the Bible have to do with a child getting his way at school?  Public school is a joke.  All the more if this kid gets his way.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The opinion of any 8 year old concerning his best interests is not important.  If he had his way he would watch TV and eat oreos in his Underoos.  He would never wish to be spanked or deprived of anything he wanted.  All humans are under some controlling authority.  It is time his dumass parents realized that the system is doing them a favor.  Planerench out.  BTW what dose the Bible have to do with a child getting his way at school?  Public school is a joke.  All the more if this kid gets his way.
View Quote

And everything you said up there is correct, except you're still missing the issue here. FREEDOM.

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#27]
i agree to disagree. 8 year old opinions matter also. they are the voice of the future.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#28]
So the duly elected schoolboard has absolutely nothing to say about the matter? It's simply a matter between the young Slug-to-be and his parents?

And it can't be anything against what the 8 year old and his parents agree to be the 'rules of the school we send our boy to'? Does everyone at that same school get to make their own rules of conduct?

Why don't they just [b]name[/b] the damn school after the 8 year old boy and his parents and get it over with?

At least that way [u]I'll[/u] know where [b]not[/b] to send my kids!

Eight year olds' opinions should be respected for what they are - the opinions of an eight year old. I'll let them choose which flavor of ice cream and respect their choice. I'll pick out their clothes, their friends, and their schools!

Eric The(ReallyOldFashioned)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Let's see, hmmm, as I recall when I was 8 my feelings and opinions meant jack squat to both my parents and those over me at school.  Ice cream flavors notwithstanding as 'the hun' pointed out.  I am still missing the freedom issue though.  Freedom to set their own dress code?  Freedom to choose a school that allows earings?  I don't get it.  How about the freedom of the remainder of the class to be unhindered by this whole discussion and learn something (even if by accident in a public school).  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tuscaloosa News- 8 yr. old boy suspended for rings in ears. Gov  Don Singleman said he had no sympahy for him, called people with things stuck in all their places idiots, if they needed them they would have been born with them. Made a call to his office this morn and told them I may vote for him next time he runs for office.
View Quote

First off, It's SEIGLEMAN not Singleman, and he is just another in a long line of assholes in the Governor's Mansion. He's gotten a few things right with regards to gun laws, but the only way I vote for him is if any Fob James product is the opponent.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#31]
What I found interesting about the article (posted on many different news sites) is that the official actually said what was on his mind.  And while I disagree (sort of, more on that later) with his reasons and views, I have to give him credit for speaking out.  How many politicians and public officials do you see that take a strong stance and stick with it?  They usually take the middle ground designed to piss off as few people as possible.  I'm glad he said what he said.

Now I disagree with his decision for a number of reasons.  First, if little girls are allowed to wear ear rings to school, why not little boys? equality of the sexes and all that good stuff.  I also think that this is decision that should be made by the parents. (on a personal and highly judgemental note, if I had a child, no way in hell they would get an artificial hole in their body for purely ornamental reasons at the age of 8, regardless of sex.)  While I understand the reasons that schools have dress codes, I don't always agree with them.  They are usually meant to provide a level "playing field" or to avoid disrupting the classes.  Unfortunately, the bill of rights does not always apply to those under the age of 18.  In an ideal society, we should not have to enforce something as silly as a dress code, but of course, we don't live in an ideal society. I think the matter should be left in the hands of the parents, and the school board should have an equal and fair dress code. end of random thoughts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#32]
If ya'll think the no earrings on boys is a tight rule, you should have seen the rulebook at our Christian school where I taught for 10 years.  And guess what?  The stricter you are on the kids, the less trouble you will have with them.  The heck with their "rights".  They left their rights at home in the morning.  Children are not to attend school to express their individual tastes, but to learn.  We tried to make everyone dress as uniform as possible.  It works!  Why do you think public schools all across the country are going with uniforms?  How about the armed forces?  Do they let you "express" yourself and wear what you want, get up when you want, and participate if you want?  And although we would have loved to whip the fire out of a few kids, we opted instead to just expel problem children.  The best option however is to homeschool.  If parents wouldn't have given up their responsibility many years ago, we wouldn't have this morally corrupt, academically inept entity known as the public school system.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#33]
#1 - The school board (another extension of our beloved government) forgets one thing - WE pay
THEIR salaries. Who the hell do they think they are teling ME how to dress my kid? It is absolutely ridiculous, and the only reason it is "disruptive" is because some as*hole overpaid bureaucrat has MADE it an issue.

#2 - I guess you people who support this would agree uniforms are a good thing too. Remember that one of the first things Hitler did was put the kids in uniforms, just as does China, Cuba, etc. etc.

#3 - Seigelman is a total idiot, who has absolutely no core beliefs, he is the kind of flip-flop politician who wets his finger and sticks it up in the air to see which way the wind blows today. People here are PISSED about this, and I can tell you that for his assinine staements about this matter he WILL LOOSE the next election, it is on every talk show on the radio, editorials in newspaper, etc.
While he clims to be for second amendment rights, I ask you to review tapes of the Democratic convention where he stood for hours next to Clinton smiling, hugging, and embracing one another. This man IS NOT to be trusted.

#4 - In typical sheeple fashion, some here will agree that this decision is "best for the children". Remember that these are the same people that have come up with the "0 tolerance" policies that have expelled students for having a keyring that could be "used as a weapon", making pencil drawings of a gun, pointing a finger like a gun & going "bang", or bringing photos of a day at the range with family. I'm not advocating wearing earrings, I dont wear one nor would I allow my 8 year old to wear one. Well guess what, it's none of your business if I did or did not let him wear one, so go get a life.

#5 - I will GLADLY write a check for the parent's legal fund TODAY if he or she will hire an attorney to fight this BS. It may be "disruptive" but where the hell does it end.
Remember the do-gooders know better than you what's best, they are enlightened and you are not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top