Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2001 5:29:28 AM EDT
Any one know about Billy making a 1538yd shot with a Sharps rifle in this year aganist who? I saw this some where but did't get the full story.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:46:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Pretty well known and researched....fight at Adobe Walls.  Even Dixon allegedly admitted it was mostly luck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#2]
That would be about 7/8 of a mile.  Are you sure you don't mean 1,538 [b]FEET[/b]?
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope, 1538 YARDS.  Against an Indian on horseback (sitting still).  Even as a lucky shot, pretty impressive for a blackpowder cartridge gun.  Here's the relevant part of the story from Dixon and the indian perspective:  
Dixon wrote:

... some of the boys suggested that I try my big .50 on them. The distance was not far from three-fourths of a mile. A number of exaggerated accounts have been written about this incident. I took careful aim, and pulled the trigger. We saw an Indian fall from his horse. The others dashed out of sight behind a clump of timber. A few moments later two Indians ran quickly on foot to where the dead Indian lay, seized his body and scurried to cover. They had risked their lives, as we had frequently observed, to rescue a comrade who might be not only wounded but dead. I was admittedly a good marksman, yet this was what might be called a "scratch shot."

The Indian had not been killed, however. Co-hay-yah, an aged Comanche veteran of the battle, later described the effect of Dixon's long shot to Colonel Nye:

We lost the fight. The buffalo hunters were too much for us. They stood behind Adobe Walls. They had telescopes on their guns. Sometimes we would be standin, 'way off, resting and hardly thinking of the fight, and they would kill our horses. One of our men was knocked off his horse by a spent bullet fired at a range of about a mile. It stunned, but did not kill him.
View Quote
From [url]http://www.pan-tex.net/usr/p/pampa-hist/neely.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Now that's what I call reaching out and touching someone, old school.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Oregon Trail Bullet mailer article test-a675 gr  bullet pushed by 90 gr FFG=1216fps muzzle vel launched at 35 deg. elevation, landed the bullet 3,600 yds down range and I wouldn't have wanted in the spot it hit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nope, 1538 YARDS.  Against an Indian on horseback (sitting still).  Even as a lucky shot, pretty impressive for a blackpowder cartridge gun.  Here's the relevant part of the story from Dixon and the indian perspective:  
Dixon wrote:

... some of the boys suggested that I try my big .50 on them. The distance was not far from three-fourths of a mile. A number of exaggerated accounts have been written about this incident. I took careful aim, and pulled the trigger. We saw an Indian fall from his horse. The others dashed out of sight behind a clump of timber. A few moments later two Indians ran quickly on foot to where the dead Indian lay, seized his body and scurried to cover. They had risked their lives, as we had frequently observed, to rescue a comrade who might be not only wounded but dead. I was admittedly a good marksman, yet this was what might be called a "scratch shot."

The Indian had not been killed, however. Co-hay-yah, an aged Comanche veteran of the battle, later described the effect of Dixon's long shot to Colonel Nye:

We lost the fight. The buffalo hunters were too much for us. They stood behind Adobe Walls. They had telescopes on their guns. Sometimes we would be standin, 'way off, resting and hardly thinking of the fight, and they would kill our horses. One of our men was knocked off his horse by a spent bullet fired at a range of about a mile. It stunned, but did not kill him.
View Quote
From [url]http://www.pan-tex.net/usr/p/pampa-hist/neely.htm[/url]

View Quote

S**t -  he's right, folks.  After my post, I did a search and found this:

[url]http://www.amarillonet.com/stories/051900/his_dixon.html[/url]

Hell, for all I know, it could have been 1,53[u]9[/u] yards

[red]PRK
Ready  - fire - aim [/red]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
S**t -  he's right, folks.  After my post, I did a search and found this:
[url]http://www.amarillonet.com/stories/051900/his_dixon.html[/url]

Hell, for all I know, it could have been 1,53[u]9[/u] yards
View Quote
I can't find it now, but I read (in print, not online) that the survivors paced off the shot after the indians left and measured it out at the 1538 yard estimate.  Dixon calls it about 3/4 mile, the witness on the other end said about a mile.  Split the difference, 7/8ths.  Helluva shot.  That bullet must have been coming down almost vertically.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top