Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2001 11:32:00 PM EDT
My brother has Kirkland Signature tires on his Jeep Grand Cherokee- I know they are manufactured by Goodyear but are stamped Kirkland.

Are these decent tires for highway use? I do not offroad much.  They are much cheaper than other tires, do you just pay a lot more for the brand name? My bro hasn't had any problems so far.  Any recommendations/advice?

thanks,
radioman
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
No problem with the Kirklands - I have used them on street cars with no trouble...

BUT - if you think your Grand may spend any time offroad, or if you have "primitive roads" in your area of the PRK, I would get the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tyres.  Worth the price, ready to go anywhere, and excellent road manners...

FFZ
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#2]
radioman, my father has the kirklands on his toyota 4x4. They work fine for highway driving but off-road they do leave something to be desired. The previous poster recommended BFG which are a great tire but I have think they wear faster than most other off-road tires. I run Kelly Safari AWR tires on my lifted wrangler, these are not the most aggresive tires on the market but they do hold up well off-road and still have great on-road manners (unlike the super swampers I've run on the jeep) My wife runs a set of Dunlop Radial Rovers on her lifted cherokee, great tire but not as good on snow and ice as the Kelly safari. Around here you can pick up a set of 31x10.50x15's for around $89 per tire installed. That's pretty comparable to the kirklands.  One other reason I'd stay away from kirklands at least in my area is the shop monkeys at costco can't balance a tire to save their life!!

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
BUT - if you think your Grand may spend any time offroad, or if you have "primitive roads" in your area of the PRK, I would get the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tyres.  Worth the price, ready to go anywhere, and excellent road manners...
FFZ
View Quote

I'll second this opinion.  BFG AT's are excellent tires.   When my swampers die (soon)  I'll probably throw BFG AT's on them for street driving.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:28:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Tires are allways a big deal to me, I have not had a really bad set but there are some that are much better than the rest.

BFGoodrich are the only tires I will buy now.
I have BFG LTs on my S-10 and they drive good on the hwy and don't do some bad off road.
Your Jeep is about 3500lbs-4000lbs same as my truck it should drive about the same.
Give then a shot you will like them,good over all tires.

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Bridgestone Desert Duellers last forever. They are rated for 70,000 miles and work pretty good for offroad/snow too. They are a medium priced tire. Noise levels are medium.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I also like the the BFG AT KO's I had 33x12.5x15s on my Ranger. GREAT all purpose tires. Work great in snow, mud etc. I paid about $120 per tire.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a full size conversion van that I run Dayton 60,000 mile all weather tires on, I believe Cooper makes them. I have bought at least 3 sets and never have had a problem. Cheaper but still a fine tire.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I worked for Discount Tire for 5 years and Mich. are the best, but expensive. I personally have BFG AT's on my Silverado and have over 70,000. Tires will last much longer if you keep them rotated correctly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top