Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2001 1:06:54 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting something like one of these. I have had one of each but they were not 4wd. I'm looking to get a 4x4 maybe before winter. I'm talking used here, something I could maybe even paint camo[:D] What has been your experiance with either of these 2 trucks? What would you pick?
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Why are you ONLY looking at American trucks??
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Garandman, I suppose you where going to say Toyota..... I don't know, I have never drove one and don't know what they are like....so tell me... what are they like.[:D]
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, Toyota, Nissan or Mazda.

I own a 88 Toyota 4WD and its simply indestructible. Its small compared to some others, but I've carried almost an entire 24x40 garage home in it. 150K, and it runs like a new truck.

A friend of mine owns a 86 Nissan hardbody, and its incredible.
My dads Mazda just runs, baby.

Then, I've seen friends of mine with the Ford's and the Chevy's. No thank you.

Alls I'm saying is you should DEFINITELY test drive one of the Jap big three (most of which are US built these days)

Good luck with yer new truck!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#4]
NO Isuzu?
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
NO Isuzu?
View Quote

I have no experience with them at all, even anecdotal.

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can wait a while, Chevy is redesigning their S-10 truck. Should be a bit bigger with the new 6 cylinder 270 hp engine. It should be a nice addition.

Personal Experence = Chevy

Mine is an 82 model with 180000 miles and still going strong. I also have a 96 Blazer and i am very happy with both of them.

My buddy has a ranger and it seems a little cramped for me (6'4"). Leg and head room are tight. But he seems to like it fine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Ford Ranger and Mazda Pick-up are both built in the same factory these days.  My father-in-law has a 95 Mazda pick-up and inside looks just like the Ford Ranger.  Oh, the Mazda has over 150,000 miles on it and it still runs great.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I worked them both for years on a fleet.  IMO they are both crappy.  However, if I had to choose, I would probably take the Ranger over the S-10.  I would seriously consider looking at a Toyota or something of the like.  I think that the extra money is worth it in the long run.  If you are only going to keep it a couple of years then get rid of it, the additional cost may not be worth while.

CH
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll admit to Ford and Toyota partiality, but I would NOT buy a Chevy anything.  That said, the overall quality and durability of a Toyota will likely be superior to a Ford.  HOWEVER- the ride of the Ford is arguably superior, and repair costs nowhere near Toyota, esp. factoring in if you work on your own cars.  I have had/have an 86 Ranger, 86 4Runner and 2000 F150, all outstanding vehicles.  A Mazda and a Ford are one and the same now, so there's not much to argue about there.  All in all, I'd probably get a Tacoma, simply based on a slight edge in repairless longevity.  I keep cars forever, so resale is a non-issue to me.  Hope I've been able to confuse you more!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]
unless money is an absolutely determining factor, go fullsize.  i guarantee  you'll wish you had.

why?  because once you have a truck, you start using it like a truck.  and 6 ft long, 4 ft wide bed just doesn't get it done.  i've helped my mom build a privacy fence, helped by dad haul about 700 lbs. of horse feed, and carried a 10ft long canoe in my S-15.  and every time i was wishing i had a fullsize.  not to mention that load capacity hurts big time.  i think the small trucks are about the dumbest idea they ever came up with (well, that third door on the Saturn is pretty stupid).  if you're gonna get a truck, [b]GET A TRUCK![/b] not a wanna be.

(by the way, FORD trucks rock!)
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a '93 Ranger, shift on the fly electronic pushbutton 4x4, 4.0 V6.  The only things that ever happened to it mechanically were: a wild girl knocked a knob off the stereo with her bony knees, I blew a 4x4 hub one especially snowy winter day, and I smacked into the side of a 20 ton loader at full road speed.  Which pretty much ended that story - written off with $13K worth of damage.  

4x4 in the Rangers seems to add a lot of weight and some more stuff to break.  All in all, I prefer the 2.9 V6 and two wheel drive in the Ranger - have driven two such vehicles so far.  You'll save some money, get better mileage, stop quicker (see above) and go faster everywhere except mud pits.

My current ride is a K2500 4x4 diesel & I still prefer the Ranger.  Not least when it's time for repairs... that's a total of 3 4x4 hubs I've blown in the past four years.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#12]
My everyday driver 91 S-15 has 221,000 on it. Has never left me walking with the exception of the battery incident. In my experince it handels loads way better than the 91 Toyota did, and has better room than the Rangers.
Mine has the 4.3 V6, which if you are looking into interchange ability is great. GM has been putting them into the S series sense 88. Full size even longer. Most of the accesories (alt., water pump, etc) will interchage with the V-8's. Good proven design and makes great power at low RPM's. Anyway just my .02
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Dont waste your money on a Ford or a Chevy, buy quality T-O-Y-O-T-A.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 4:44:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I've owned two S-10s, an 86 and an 87, both bought used.

The 87 made it to about 110,000 miles before the engine seized up and it wasn't worth repairing.  (Yes, I did change the oil regularly and it died anyway.)

The 86 replaced it and recently received a new alternator, water pump and battery.  I doubt I'll put much more money into it since the body is rusting away.  

Based on my experience with these two trucks, I'd say that once you get past 100,000 miles with one you're living on borrowed time.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#15]
HA HA HA Some of the stuff people say!?!?!

Look dude I am on S-10 # FIVE the last one had 135,000 on it and was stiil the best damn lil. truck out there.

Fords are ok but they don't have as much power.
Now this crap about Toyotas are gutless and have no power at all!
In the small Toyota you can get a v6 if you can find one and it has about 190hp the same as the s-10 but it only has like 150 or so foot lbs. and for a truck thats what you need.

The other Jap trucks are for old men and lil. boys.

Oh and I have never had a jap truck pass me not even one of the big bad V8 thing that really only has about 250hp[:D]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an '88 S10 4WD with the 2.8 liter 6.  This is one of the most notoriously unreliable engines ever, as you will experience a blown head gasket.  That must have happened before I got it, because at 175,000 miles, it's still going.  It is rusting now, and it's probably down to about 70 horsepower, but it's my beater, so I don't care.  The rust can't be blamed on GM, as it has been on the beach at Cape Hatteras too often.

My other car is a 4Runner, which is the stuff!  The only complaint I have about it is a design issue, and not a defect.  The fuel tank is too small.  It has a little over a 300 mile range where the S10 has a little over a 400 mile range.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:12:24 AM EDT
[#17]
HA HA HA THATS AS FUNNY AS HELL!

Is any one here in the car biz? tell the guys that like the jap trucks who made the 2.8l for Chevy(Isuzu)[:O]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#18]
My S-10 ZR2 is alot roomier than my friends Ranger.  Both are extracab.  I am partial to Chevy's
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:52:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
HA HA HA Some of the stuff people say!?!?!

Look dude I am on S-10 # FIVE
View Quote

HA HA indeed!!!!!!

I'm STILL onToyota # [size=4] ONE!!!! [/size=4]

Unless you are more than 60 years old, and been buying S-10's for over 30 years (they only started making 'em in the 80's) YOU ARE BUYING WAY TOO MANY TRUCKS!!!!

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#20]
i have an '89 s-10 2wd with 138k miles on it. it has the much maligned 2.8l and an automatic trans.

i bought it well used...it had been a fleet truck and lead a very hard life.

the gas milage is, what i would rate as, "fair", at best (for such a small, light vehicle).

i am impressed at the abuse this thing will suffer. the driveline has held up well. the dashboard is the sleaziest p.o.s., snap together, cheazy, plastic thing i've ever seen. the controls are all plastic and prone to breakage. i have replaced the blower control switch and headlight switch. the dome light/instrument light dimmer switch is in need of replacement, now.

other than that, it has been a reliable vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:11:15 AM EDT
[#21]
All I've ever owned was Fords, always been good vehicles for me.  Mazda trucks are built by Ford Motor Co.  Look at the manufacturers label under the hood.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a 94 Ranger 4X4.  I will tell you, other than oil changes and tires, plus an occasional a/c recharge (new refrigerant leaks like a sieve) this truck has cost me nothing other than payments.  I did put on a set of Warn manual hubs to replace the automatic hubs to have a more positive lockup, but didn't need to probably.  I have had a S-10, well S-15 GMC rather, and it was also pretty bulletproof, but honestly, the Ford is superior.  I have no qualms w/ Japanese trucks, other than those rat-bastards bombed us 55 years ago.  They are ok trucks, mostly made in america now, but frankly, they feel light and cheap compared to the Ford.  I come from a General Motors family, you remember when America had such a thing?  The Ford sold me on their quality and that is all I'll own in a truck.  Got a Jeep Cherokee for my wife that is also great.  approaching 250k miles as we speak and has also only cost me in tires and oil.  Name a zipperhead mobile that'll do that?
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:27:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Spell it out "T-O-Y-O-T-A", I have a 92 4x4 that just turned 117,000 and it's runnin great.. Nothing wrong with a midsize pickup. My dad just sold his 99 Dodge Quad Cab because it was to big, didn't use it (wasn't economical for his use) and he's looking to buy a Tacoma.. For me midsize is the only way to go.. I had a 94 Nissan XE with a V6, (never again) the gas mileage was horrible

Later,
  Chris
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#24]
FYI Campy, my 2.8 '88 4WD gets 24mpg on the highway.  I consider that to be supurb for a 4wd, especially one with 175K on the odo.  I have the 4 speed auto.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#25]
yo driftpunch! how's it going? you are getting great milage.

mine has the 3 speed with lockup (or o.d., i never did figure out which).

i get 20mpg average on a tank, with a light right foot. if i tow or haul, the gas gage drops as the speedo goes up.

i once towed a 4500lb trencher on a 1000lb trailer. i thought the old girl did pretty good to lug that rig up and down our hills!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I will have to go with the Ranger. I had a 90 4x4STX extended cab. It was the best damn truck I ever owned. Had 33x12.5s, hot rodded 2.9 V-6 (GREAT ENGINE!, prediccessor to the 4.0), and lots of other off-road toys. Road very well and was very reliable. I gave her up at 240,000 miles after the 5sp tranny went.  Still ran and looked VG for the year and mileage. Tranny= $ more than the truck was actually worth at that point so I sold it to a friend. For best bang for the $ get a 89-92 body style of ranger.

All the small and mid-size Toyotas I have driven have not impressed me. The bodies and sheet metal make you feel like your in a tin can, very tinny, AKA CHEAP. The manual trannies, although supposedly decent shifted with the quality of my Ranger tranny AFTER it blew out. Toyotas are NOT bad trucks, you just pay more and get less IMHO.

The current S-10s are MUCH better than previous ones which in my opinion were nothing more than cars with beds, had a VERY dated interior compared to my 90 Ranger(which still looks modern by todays standard). Engines were ok, just stick with the 4.3L.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
i once towed a 4500lb trencher on a 1000lb trailer. i thought the old girl did pretty good to lug that rig up and down our hills!
View Quote

I didn't think Ohio HAD hills!!?!?!??!?[}:D]

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a 98" S10
I took the catalytic converter out.
Replaced the 195 degree thermostat with a 160.
Took out the air filter box, and replaced it with a k/n cone shaped. Used a hose clamp to attach it.
I don't have air. 4.3 with automatic and 4wd
Runs great.
I can get 24.5 mph.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#29]
garandman, did I say I had to buy a new truck?

Man if your over 60 is really safe for you to drive that Oooooold Toyota?[:D]

Act your age[xx(]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
garandman, did I say I had to buy a new truck?

View Quote

Well, are you buying them with 100K on them and driving them for another 10,000 miles???

FIVE S-10's?????? Over what time span???

It still seems like you've bought an AWFUL lot of trucks.

I've had my Yota for six years and 80K. Bought it with 70K on it. Its got another 100K in it.

Given that your average S-10 is dead LOOOOOONG before 150K (where I am now) you probably WOULD have gone thru five of the.  [}:D]

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I can get 24.5 mph.
View Quote

LOL
I know you meant MPG.

The Ranger I had 180,000 miles on it and the only problem I had with it before i sold it was that the brakes went out. I replaced all the brakes on it. It then sat out for a couple of months in the dead of winter without being run. I went out to start it one day and it fired right up in 15 degree weather. The 1st S10 I had got smashed up when I hit a deer, never had any problems with it till that happened. Then with the 2nd S10 I hit a cow... yeah I hit a cow...really messed that truck up, LOL. The front of the truck hit the cow right in the head and the cow got up and walked back through the hole in the fence like nothing happened. I would have to say that the cow won....[BD]

-bricklayer

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I special-ordered a 1999 Ranger: 4x4, 4-door supercab (little doors, not a crew-cab), stepside, 4.0L V-6, 5-speed manual, all the bells & whistles.  I've got about 25,000 miles on it now and still love it.  I average about 18 MPG, and I've got a pretty heavy foot.

I'm not a Chevy guy, but the 4.3L Chevy V-6 kicks the 4.0L's butt in the power department.  I wish Ford offered the 5.0L V-8 that they put in the Explorer.  I'd have bought it.  At least for 2000 they offered the SOHC 4.0L in the Ranger.  It's better than what I've got, but more mechanically complex.

Toyota has a much better reputation for reliability than either Ford or Chevy, but I don't think it has the power of even the Ford 4.0.  Around here (Tucson, AZ) the Toyotas are severely overpriced.  My Ford cost considerably less than a comparably equipped Toyota would have - I know, I looked.

Nissan trucks just don't do anything for me from a styling perspective, and the only one I ever drove didn't have enough grunt to pull a greasy string out of a cats ass.  

As others have pointed out, the Mazda is a Ford, and I happen to like the Ford styling a bit better.

I didn't WANT a full-sized pickup, and if I'd ordered an F-150 equipped the same way I got my Ranger, it would have been an extra $5k.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#33]
You know lets just stop for a min. and play like American made trucks do die at about 100,000mils.

And lets say a "good" used jap truck is about$5,000.00 with 100,000mils on it.
You drive the weak lil. thing for 100,000 more and you get your $5,000 out of it and buy a new one(this is an example so lets not have 500 posts about how you can really get more)
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You drive the weak lil. thing for 100,000 more and you get your $5,000 out of it and buy a new one)
View Quote

Actually, I'd probably do that REGARDLESS of the county of manufacture.

Not sure what your point is.

Or of the sense of continuing this wonderful, witty banter.

We BOTH have trucks that we seem to like, and are happy with. Mebbe we leave it at that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#35]
I buy a  American made truck and pay 5,000 for it with 50,000 and put 50,000 more on it and the motor craps out on me. I buy a new motor put it in and go it will cost about $3,000
I will get 100,000 more out of that motor so I pay about $8,000 for 200,000 and the guy in the jap truck pays about $5,000 for 200,000
But if motor go again it will cost me about $3,000 and it will cost you a new truck.

You can't fix Jap stuff and even if it did run better it has no power what the hell do you want a truck with no power?
What can you do with it?
Guys like that should just buy a mini van.

The thing Japs and there fans will never get is that Ameicans don't buy a car or truck so they can drive the same thing for 1,00,000,000,000mils.
They buy it cuz. it looks good and is fast or tuff or what ever they want.
Most of us don't like toy trucks, most guys care about can't stand that sound jap trucks make if you try to hop them up.
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What the hell is that?

Jap truck are lil. boys toys if they are really better then why do we still have Ford and Chevy?

Cuz most people need more out of there truck than 1,000,000,000,000,000mils. of piss poor BS
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
unless money is an absolutely determining factor, go fullsize.  i guarantee  you'll wish you had.

why?  because once you have a truck, you start using it like a truck.  and 6 ft long, 4 ft wide bed just doesn't get it done.  i've helped my mom build a privacy fence, helped by dad haul about 700 lbs. of horse feed, and carried a 10ft long canoe in my S-15.  and every time i was wishing i had a fullsize.  not to mention that load capacity hurts big time.  i think the small trucks are about the dumbest idea they ever came up with (well, that third door on the Saturn is pretty stupid).  if you're gonna get a truck, [b]GET A TRUCK![/b] not a wanna be.

(by the way, FORD trucks rock!)
View Quote

All of my friends have found that for off road 4X4, the small trucks can go places the bigger one's can't, regardless of brand.

a2car, must you always be confrontational?  Instead of ridiculing other's choices, just explain why you think yours is the better choice.  Instead, you degrade people and their choice of vehicle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top