User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2001 9:23:45 AM EDT
The gubment can keep my $300 for the coming shortfall...LOL
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Send it over here.  I cashed mine yesterday, need more. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Running a deficit in hard economic times isn't a bad thing.  Gephardt wants to raise taxes to maintain the surplus, as if the surplus was the be-all end-all purpose of Congress.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Who gives a ratts ass about surplus.  How about paying back the Debt.  Isn't something like 30% of all your tax money going to pay interest on the debt?

[img]www.brillig.com/debt_clock/debtc.gif[/img]

The estimated population of the United States is 284,711,412
so each citizen's share of this debt is $20,084.29.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
$182 million per day since September 30, 1998!
Concerned? Then tell Congress and the White House!

Keep hitting refresh ever few minutes.  Watch the #'s climb.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#4]
What's so funny to me is all the credit-grabbing when the projections were high. Now that the OMB came out with its numbers, the mud-slinging and partisan cautions begin. Think we'll see checks next year? LOL...all over imaginary numbers. People forget there was NO REAL MONEY TO START!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#5]
There is no SURPLUS. Can you say OVERTAX?

These people in Govt' need remedial math

Bulldog Out
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#6]
That "surplus" is our money that should be in our pockets.  They should cut spending by 50% and use that to pay off the debt.  Switch to a simple flat tax, and turn the IRS into the anti government spending patrol.  Happy days would really be here again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is no SURPLUS. Can you say OVERTAX?

These people in Govt' need remedial math

Bulldog Out
View Quote

yeah really. It would be like owning your friend 50 bucks and u get a 40 doller check in the mail, "oh i have a 40 doller surplus".
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I always get a kick out of the morons that say they are going to send back their rebate checks. I guess they think it makes themselves look noble. You know good and well that they spent the money on something. Makes you wonder.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#9]
There is still a huge 150 billion social security surplus.  Until a couple of years ago that surplus was always rolled into the whole thing, so if the defecit was 100 billion, the social security surplus was keeping it from being 200 or 300 billion.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#10]
The whole point of the tax cut is to make the surplus shrink.
Then when it works, people say, "My God, surplus is shrinking!"
Silly people.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#11]
A few points...

The Communists er... I mean Democrats are complaining about the shrinking surplus as if it is GWB's fault.  What they don't tell you is that the Federal Government is currently operating under a budget that was signed by Bill Clinton.  GWB's budget doesn't start until October.  

If the Communists er... I mean Democrats don't want their rebate, then they can either donate it to the charity of their choice, or send it back to the government.  Don't force me to give mine back assholes!  (Mine by the way will probably be put toward a FAL which should really irk some of my left-wing colleagues).

To paraphrase the economist and columnist Walter Williams...  "There is nothing wrong with Communism, just don't force me to live in it."

Regards,
SOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top