Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2001 8:49:56 PM EDT
OK... I just bought my m1A not too long ago so my next purchase is at least a year off, unless I win lotto or that new M&M game, but I am curious as to what my next purchase should be.  I've always seen the FAL as a must have rifle, but I've been looking at this M96 as of late.  I just read an article on the M96 in the newest issue of SWAT and they seem to think that its the best thing since sliced bread.  

Anybody out there own one, and if so, what's the scoop???  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Although I think the M96 is a good design, I do not think it is worth the $1300-1400 retail they are asking for it.  If you can get one for around a grand, go for it.
BTW, I found Ed Sanow's review of the M96 to be laughably inaccurate and unobjective.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
i dont really know where to go here. you have a 308 battle rifle, so i would maybe diversify. but if you dont have an AR, i would get one before i got a m96, for to many reasons to name. if you already have both a 308 battle rifle and a .223 rifle, then i dont know,
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Mattsd... I do have an ar... i also have, besides my m1a, an ak, and a usc chambered in .45 cal.  Where the hell should I go next... and yes, I have a shotgun as well... Benelli no less!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]
How about handguns?
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Rik... I would love to get a nice sig or HK USP...BUT, I have recently, well, a couple of years ago, moved to NY and I really am angry to pay close to 200 Bucks in order to exercise a right that is guaranteed to me in the Constitution!!!  Not to mention the fact that they make it a real pain in the arse to get as well... references, big form, and 6-9 months to process to boot!

It really makes no sense... I have enough firepower in my little studio apartment to invade a small nation, but I can't have a pistol... go figure...
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#7]
good thing for that benelli, i WOULD have recomended it otherwise. you have a well rounded collection, considering you rational on the handgun thing. i cant really say witch to buy, but if you go FAL, get a nice one, not a cheaper one. they are ok if its your only battle rifle, but since you have one, thiers no point in getting another cheaper one. personally i would say FAL, but that personally
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:47:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Scipio-- sounds like you've already got your bases covered with the ugly guns.  While I think that the M96 looks fabulously nasty, it does seem like a lot of $$$.  What about an AR-180 or some NVG goggles?  

Hell, for $1300, why don't you drive to JFK, jump on a plane to Moscow, Russia and shell out the $$ for a guided tour of the Monino air museum?  

Just an idea

Link Posted: 8/21/2001 4:03:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I would go with the FAL (if you have the extra $$$ then the HK 91). Congrats on your M1A - I need one of those...

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 4:08:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 4:17:29 AM EDT
[#11]
DSA STG-58 rifle. $800.

A friend of mine, who already has one of DSA's top-o-th-line models, is NOW@ convinced the DSA kit gun is all you really need.

And the FAL is TWICE the rifle the M-96 is. (this from a guy who would consider buying an M-96)

I've seen both, I've handled both. The DSA FAL is the better rifle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top