Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2001 3:26:34 PM EDT
I am looking for a Colt upper 20" HBAR flat top in pre ban configuration.  With lug and flash hider.  Do they exist?  I can't seem to find any.

I bought a pre-ban Colt.  The upper is an A2 (not flat top) and it has the 1:7 HBAR.  Has A2 flash hider but no bayonet lug.  This one one of Colts attempts at political correctness before the '94 evil feature ban.

Anyway, I assume Bush Master could make me one like this but I'd like to keep the rifle all Colt if I can.  But maybe these were never made.  I see one ad in SGN for an A3(flattop) Colt but no lug.  They call it R6700DC.

I guess my other option is to buy R6700DC and try to get the front sight base with the lug and install it.  Is this possible?  Where can I get the part if this is my only other option?

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
They "Voluntarily" removed Bayonet Lugs after the 1989 Law, whatever that was (there's so many). Colt has did this over the years with Sear Blocks, etc. in an attempt to please the "Anti-Gun" people. All they did is sue Colt. Anyway I'm not a Colt Guru. But the terms Green Label (Pre-89) and Blue Label (89-94) come to mind. There's plenty of Colt experts that will answer you're question. I have an SP1 that I purchased in 1965 for $182.00 new at a gun store. The 1968 GCA started the ball rolling.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure if you will be able to find the preban you are searching for.  From what I understand colt started the h-bar not very long before the 94 ban.  It is possible to get one and change the upper if this a feasable option for you.  You can go to most any gunshow and get an h-bar upper with bayo lug and suppresor.  I have seen them many times in an a2 style but do not recall any a3 style tops(doesn't mean they don't exist).  So I hope my ramblings may have helped.  There are other guys on here that I am sure can get more specific or have some better information for you.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
JR I have seen many in A2 configuration as well.  In fact, I see one in the Hoplite ad brand new $529.  I really want it in an A3.  

Anybody else.  

If I buy the flat top without the lug, can the front sight base be replaced with one that has the lug?  How difficult would it be?  Who has the part.  I don't see it on Colt or Bushmasters web sight.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not just get a flat top upper and put your barrel on it?

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I could do that but that still does not get me the bayo lug.  

Thanks for the tip on the industry forum.  I posted there as well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I own a Colt 6700 "blue label"  that I purchased new back in 93'. It has everything you describe Except the bayonet lug.
 Colt went PC before it was required.

You could find a pre-ban HBAR with a carry handle upper & install a new flat top upper on it. That way you have an original configuration pre-pan "evil" barrel on an updated flat-top upper.

Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 20" Colt flat top with bayo lug, BUT it is a government profile barrel (heavy in front of the gas block-smaller under the hand guards
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I own a Colt 6700 "blue label"  that I purchased new back in 93'. It has everything you describe Except the bayonet lug.
 Colt went PC before it was required.

You could find a pre-ban HBAR with a carry handle upper & install a new flat top upper on it. That way you have an original configuration pre-pan "evil" barrel on an updated flat-top upper.

View Quote

Be cheaper to just buy a new MT6700 and replace the front sight base with a real one and thread the barrel.  The A2 you describe AR6900DC with all the goodies is $600.  I can buy the new flat top with the carry handle for that.  A2 flash hider $5. and however much a FSB cost.  Can't be that hard to get one.  Where can I get a forged FSB with the lug?
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 12:09:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Messing around with front sight bases can get to be a real pain in the ass if the gas ports don't align. Then sometimes the sight pins don't want to come out. I built a flat top for some guy that insisted on one of those JP gas blocks on a Douglas AR15 barrel. Could never get the ports to align and achieve a good seal and the gun short stroked all of the time. I even got yelled at for it.

Just get a damn Colt flat top upper and a 20" preban H barrel assembly. Then take a dremel with a cutoff wheel and chop off the front sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top