Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2001 2:03:17 PM EDT
[green]Another tiresome Chicago politician gives a quote. They don't mention if the twice convicted felon had a valid FOID card.[/green]

[url]http://chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0108200214aug20.story?coll=chi%2Dnewslocal%2Dhed[/url]

A twice-convicted felon who was paroled from jail in Wisconsin a year ago was charged today with the weekend slaying of Chicago police Tactical Officer Eric Lee, police announced.

Aloysius Oliver, 26, who has previous convictions for felony narcotics and weapons violations, has been charged with first-degree murder of a police officer for the fatal shooting of Lee in a South Side alley, Deputy Chief Philip Cline said.

Lee, 37, was one of three tactical unit police officers riding in a car near 63rd and Aberdeen Streets at about 9:20 p.m. Sunday when they came upon at least two men beating a third man in an alley, police said.

After officers identified themselves as police officers, Oliver drew a .357 handgun and fired a single shot, striking Lee in the head, Cline said. Oliver then allegedly fled down a gangway, but was apprehended and disarmed by one of Lee’s partners.

Oliver’s gun discharged a second time while he was being taken into custody, but no one was hit, Cline said.

As the other man was being pursued down another gangway, he allegedly pointed a gun at one of Lee’s fellow tactical officers. The officer fired one shot, missing the man, according to Cline.

Police Sunday night were unable to apprehend the second man, despite an intensive search with K-9 units and the assistance of fire trucks to light the area.

Investigators this afternoon are questioning an individual in connection with the shooting, police said. It was not clear if that person was the man who ran away from the shooting scene.

Lee was taken to Christ Hospital and Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was pronounced dead shortly after 10 p.m., authorities said.

All three police officers were wearing bulletproof vests, Cline said.

A nine-year police veteran and former Marine, Lee had 20 police honorable mentions and was married and the father of a young daughter, Police Supt. Terry Hillard said at a news conference this morning in Chicago.

Lee is the second tactical officer killed in the line of duty this year. On June 30, Chicago Police Officer Brian T. Strouse, 33, was killed on an undercover stakeout in an alley in the Pilsen neighborhood, an area known for gang violence.

Calling on politicians to do more to control handguns, Hillard said, “These handguns were manufactured for one thing: to kill people.”

A Chicago man, Oliver is a gang member with a two-page rap sheet and a twice-convicted felon who was paroled last year authorities in Winnebago County, Wis., after a drug- and guns-related conviction, Cline said.

Word of Lee’s death caused the police to cancel a scheduled baseball game against a team from the New York Police Department. The charity game was to raise money for families of officers killed in the line of duty.

Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
"Calling on politicians to do more to control handguns, Hillard said, 'These handguns were manufactured for one thing: to kill people.'"

Well, it certainly seems like the current gun control laws against felons are really doing a lot of good, so I'm sure piling more restrictions on will help prevent criminals from committing crime! [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, how many laws did the guy break, not including killing a cop.

Concealed weapon
gun in Chicago
felon with a gun
no FOID card (I'll bet he's worried about that one.)

Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree, that's my point. I don't see why they think having more legislation will solve the problem, when there's already more than enough and when none of the criminals will follow it anyway. The only legitimate tactic is enforcement. If something is illegal and somebody does it, what can they do make it more illegal? No, just try to work towards having the criminals caught before they end up killing somebody.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The guy is a felon he is not supposed to have gun. Doesn't the great Illinois FOID card stop felons from getting weapons. My goodness, who would ever thought that a felon could get his hands on a weapon in Illinois, they have a FOID CARD. Maybe Illinois needs a Foid card A, and a Foid card B, and and Foid card C, and a Foid card D, and a Foid card E. That should stop all crime in the land of DALEY, LAWYERS, LAWS AND TAXES. Do it for the children.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Saw the idiot speak (Hillard) on the 4 O'clock news, and have been grinding my teeth ever since.
He's a political flunky. Daley just winds him up and pushes the button.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Calling on politicians to do more to control handguns, Hillard said, “These handguns were manufactured for one thing: to kill people.”
View Quote

So handguns have only one purpose - killing people?  Then why do we issue them to every uniformed police officers?  Are they all bloodthirsty killers?

This is why all power should NEVER be in the hands of the "authorities".  Too many of them WON'T THINK!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#7]
You are all so damn worried about gun control.....how about a little thought to the poor sob who died??  God rest his soul, and may the savage who shot him rot in hell.  Why is it that every cop that dies is always a new father??  Jeez, it always seems to turn out that way.  Guess maybe if I dont have kids, Ill be ok....anyway, once again, God rest his soul.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top