Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2001 11:28:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a web site submitter, like website promoter, and it will submit you site to yahoo, lycos, altavista.
Check out a local software store.

Also get redirects, where you type a name, and it redirects to your site.

Ice
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#2]
You've got mail!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#3]
This depends on what you're trying to promote. I occassionally do this as part of my job, my wife did it as part of her old job, and taught me some sneaky tricks. But there are a lot of things that you can do depending on what kind of website you're trying to get people to go to. Is it oldgrouch.com?
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
All the above, plus regular updates several times per week.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Your best bet is to bypass advertising on the mainstream internet sites (search engines) and stick to sites like this. Here are a few ideas:

1) Yahoo will get you a lot of traffic. Pay their $199 fee. I once bribed a friend with a 50 pack of cdr's to get his friend who worked at yahoo to review my site faster. Worth every penny.
2)List with every search other search engine you can find, but don't pay fees, especially pay per click or pay per view fees. There's no guarantee your ad is going to be seen, let alone clicked.
3)Make sure you used the appropriate expires /new content tags so the search engines respider your site on a regular basis.
4)Sneaky part- make up 'dummy' pages. Maybe write a boring article on whatever you're trying to sell. Find as many ways to mention the article on that page as possible. Don't link to that page from your site, but provide a link from that page to the rest of your site. List this page with all the search engines you can. When the someone types in the phrase (say it was 'ar-15 magazines'), your page will be one of the first listed, because you mention ar-15 magazines a lot.
5)Include a link to your web site in your signature. Have everyone you work with do the same. Use it everytime you send an email, post a message to any forum, or post to usenet on rec.guns
6)Sites like ar-15.com is where you should spend most of your banner ad money at. Look into sponsorships with sites like it.
7)This is directed more towards getting the customers who visit to make a purchase, but start up a q&a portion of your website. Make a form for people to send in questions, and post the responses on the web. Keep an archive of it. As you get more advanced, add a search engine to search through the q&a. Why do you want to go through all this trouble? Because you and your company will become an 'expert' in the eyes of potential customers. And they'll be more inclined to buy from someone they believe is an expert.
Plus this could also be indexed by the spiders, giving you more matches for possible web searches.
8)Just a general suggestion, but I'd add something like a 'featured product' on the main page. People like pictures. Change it a couple times a week, or have a script that pulls out a random featured product. Makes your page looks fresh if you get repeat visitors.
9)Is there a publication dedicated to what you sell? Don't ignore regular media - if there's a magazine, buy some space in it. Better yet, if you haven't already, start submitting articles, and be sure if they are printed make sure your web site is mentioned in your story or byline. I used to work for an ISP, and you wouldn't believe how much just seeing a story in the business section would get people calling in and signing up.
The old president of the company worked the media well. Every time a reporter needed a quote on something about the Internet, they'd call him. He became their expert. With every mention, they'd say what company he was with.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Garnad_Shooter drop me an email with everything you need at [email protected]

I can help you out on what ever you need.  I can do it all.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#8]
two words:

[b][size=4]NAME RECOGNITION[/b][/size=4]

name recognition will get you farther than any "prime" spot in a search engine.  guaranteed.  and the best way to get that is word of mouth advertising.  great products and even greater customer service beats all the advertising in the world.

of course, that doesn't mean that the other options won't help.  but think of all the websites you know.  how many of them pop into your head because of name recognition vs. the results of a search engine you've used?

good luck.  are you up and running for business yet?  i'll send the significant other your way if so.

Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Best thing to do is have content on your site that makes it worth people telling other people about.

Also, I generally find that adding the URL to sig. files and posting on related forums helps a great deal -- for example, for my political site, i've gotten thousands of hits by simply going to freerepublic.com and making sure every post I made included a link in my sig.

------------------------
[url]Http://www.anotherpundit.com[/url].
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Correct use of your web page 'metatags' is the single most important facit of web promotion.

Search engines such as Yahoo, Google, Metacrawler, etc., use these 'metatags' to find your site.

You can also list your website for free on the main ones by simply following the directions usually located on their home page.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top