Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2006 5:45:57 PM EDT
I've got a 2000 Chevy Z71 pickup and today while at work someone sideswiped the left part of my truck bed leaving a nice 2 ft long damage trail of scratches and various dents/crinkles...The bad part is I never saw who did it so my insurance company has to pay or I'll to pay myself.  I've gotten 3 estimates and all 3 shops put the cost at $2000.  Well the truck is in great shape (except for this mishap) but I do have over 170,000 miles on it.  I only paid $9000 for the truck.  Would you pay to fix this or take that $2000 and use it for other things .  My deductible is $1000 for my insurance so if I use it I'll still have to pay $1000 out of pocket.........???? what would you do?  Oh and my work says I'm SOL so they're not paying for it
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends if you can live with the damage

If it was me, I would get it fixed because it would drive me nuts

I would also be looking at all of the cars in the parking lot for paint transfer

Do you guys have security cameras in the parking lot?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
too bad its a chevy. when my friend wrecked his he just left it as is, itll be in the junk yard soon anyways. use that money for a new rifle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
No cameras unfortunately...oh and i'm such a perfectionist when it comes to my vehicles so it does bother me but I can't bring myself spend $1000 for body work on a truck with 172,000 miles...hell my luck i'll pay to fix it and the damn tranny or engine will go out
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Get your three high quotes, get the money from the insurance company, then get some weekend warrior to fix it on the cheap. Auto body repair does not have to be a costly affair if the person doing it does it as a side gig.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
hell go to the junk yard and buy a used bed, most chevy beds can be had for less than 3 bills.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you find another bed at a local 'pick-a-part'?  A few bolts and a couple of friends to help lift, just replace the whole thing.  Might not be a Z-71, but you might get lucky and find one the same color or does it really matter?
I built a flatbed on a pickup I had, in my driveway, in a weekend.  
I have seen new 'takeoffs' from commercial fleet pickups for as low as $500.  Note: not around here, not recently and not Z-71 badged. Choices, choices, choices
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking just drive it as is and use the money for other things like a new ar
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top