Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2006 8:58:53 AM EDT
First of all I know there was a thread on this recently but I can't find it, comparing the different brands like schlage and kwiqset.

I am wanting this setup.  A bottom turn style with a key, then a deadbolt with a keyed exterior, then another deadbolt that can only be seen and turned from the inside.  Basically 2 deadbolts and a regular knob with a lock, for 3 locks total, but only 2 of them accessable from the outside.  

What brand is best/strongest/withstands picking for the longest?

Anything I should avoid?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:02:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Medco, I believe, would be the best choice
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#2]
worry more about doorframe strength then picking resistance.... you can have a dozen deadbolts on a strong door that dont do shit when a solid kick just shatters the typical 1x3 or so sideplate of the frame....
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It is actually Medeco.  And +1.  Comparatively expensive for a reason.  

But I don't understand why people pay 10's to 100's of thousands of dollars for a home and then protect the openings with $30 Home Depot specials.

Medeco all the way.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
worry more about doorframe strength then picking resistance.... you can have a dozen deadbolts on a strong door that dont do shit when a solid kick just shatters the typical 1x3 or so sideplate of the frame....

Excellent point.  But don't undermine a good door and a strong door frame with a sub-par lock.  They go hand in hand.  Make sure you upgrade the strikeplate to at least a 4" strike plate with at least 3" screws that go through the door frame and into the framing member.

You do have a higher probability of having someone try to kick in the door than pick the lock.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I did spend 1,000 on 4 doors at home depot.  I just didn't like the selection of locks they had.  I got a quote from Sears for 4 doors...  $10,250 dollars!!!   The ones I have are 20 guage steel with solid wood cores and metal plates near the deadbolts.   I didn't even spend that much on my whole kitchen to redo.   The house is worth maybe $110,000 and I couldn't see spending almost 10% of that on just doors.  The lowest quote for doors I got was about 1,600 per door.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Hell, someone could break the window beside our door and reach in and unlock it.  Or they could just smash out the huge window in the middle of our door.  Our doors were not designed with security in mind, unfortunately.  .
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But I don't understand why people pay 10's to 100's of thousands of dollars for a home and then protect the openings with $30 Home Depot specials.

Medeco all the way.

Of course, spending $$$$ on a Medeco lock and not putting bars over all of your fragile glass windows is pretty silly, too.  

Medeco is overkill if you have much, much weaker points in your structure, IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
For under $200, you can install a Class IV security screen door on your front entrance and dramatically improve your security.  Not only will this add another layer of overall security, it allows you to open your front door and hold a conversation with someone outside without them being able to gain entrance to your house (or remove you from it), and in most cases, they won't even be able to see through the door, while you can see them just fine.

www.columbiamfg.com/images/security/sunset.jpg

This is what I installed on my house.

-Troy

Where did you get that?  Looks nice!

ANOTHER QUESTION...  I know the weakest entry point in my house is my sliding glass door that leads to the deck.  What's the best way to reinforce it?  It has a simple thumb turned lock that I could probably pull the thing open from the outside if I wanted, or simply break the glass and turn it.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Personally, theives just want a place with easy "pickings," litterally.  If they find that you have a double-dead bolt, that is enough to persuade them to go to another house.  Most of the common, ordinary houses are not built with security in mind.  I personally would get a double-dead bolt, and one of those electronically monitored security systems.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The house is worth maybe $110,000 and I couldn't see spending almost 10% of that on just doors.  The lowest quote for doors I got was about 1,600 per door.

Security is worth a whole lot more than the door: house valuation ratio.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted: Medco, I believe, would be the best choice
+1,000!!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I did spend 1,000 on 4 doors at home depot.  I just didn't like the selection of locks they had.  I got a quote from Sears for 4 doors...  $10,250 dollars!!!   The ones I have are 20 guage steel with solid wood cores and metal plates near the deadbolts.   I didn't even spend that much on my whole kitchen to redo.   The house is worth maybe $110,000 and I couldn't see spending almost 10% of that on just doors.  The lowest quote for doors I got was about 1,600 per door.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear.  I didn't mean "Home Depot specials" as the doors.  I meant them as the locks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hell, someone could break the window beside our door and reach in and unlock it.  Or they could just smash out the huge window in the middle of our door.  Our doors were not designed with security in mind, unfortunately.  .

For an easy fix, you can replace the deadbolt with a dual cylinder one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Security film your windows and glass doors. See www.shattergard.com for more info.
Medeco doesnt make a deadbolt without key access. Medeco is a good choice. See Multilock also, for added security and key control, although Medeco also offers key control too. Double sided deadbolts are for glass doors. Keep a light on when you are away from home and a radio on. Bad guys are looking for easy in and easy out homes. They dont wanna make alot of noise. They come to your front door and see high security locks, they will go down the road to your neighbors house with the Kwikset and Schlage crap on his doors. I know, I see it everyday of my life, Its what buys me Ammo!!!!          
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The house is worth maybe $110,000 and I couldn't see spending almost 10% of that on just doors.  The lowest quote for doors I got was about 1,600 per door.

Security is worth a whole lot more than the door: house valuation ratio.

$1,600 is silly for a door when you consider how many other points of entry are valnurable.

A solid metal/wood door, inside only deadbolt, and a solid frame is plenty in most cases.  Anything more would likely be ineffective considering the determination of the criminal your are dealing with at that point.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Medeco all the way.

Of course, spending $$$$ on a Medeco lock and not putting bars over all of your fragile glass windows is pretty silly, too.  

Medeco is overkill if you have much, much weaker points in your structure, IMHO.

How much for bars on all your windows?  2 or 3 Medeco locks are lot cheaper than bars on all the windows.  And your doors should be secure before your windows are...especially considering most illegal entries are through unlocked doors...and then unlocked windows.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For under $200, you can install a Class IV security screen door on your front entrance and dramatically improve your security.  Not only will this add another layer of overall security, it allows you to open your front door and hold a conversation with someone outside without them being able to gain entrance to your house (or remove you from it), and in most cases, they won't even be able to see through the door, while you can see them just fine.

www.columbiamfg.com/images/security/sunset.jpg

This is what I installed on my house.

-Troy

Where did you get that?  Looks nice!

ANOTHER QUESTION...  I know the weakest entry point in my house is my sliding glass door that leads to the deck.  What's the best way to reinforce it?  It has a simple thumb turned lock that I could probably pull the thing open from the outside if I wanted, or simply break the glass and turn it.  

If you are truly concerned about breakage, then get it security filmed as stated above.  A Charlie/Charley bar is probably the most effective solution.  It also provides a visual deterrent.  

You can also ensure that the door cannot be lifted off the track by making sure the wheels are adjusted correctly and you can also screw some screws along the track at the top so your door can't be lifted up.  Just screw them in and then back them out until the door scrapes the screw heads, then screw them in just a tiny bit more so it doesn't scrape when you open and close the door.

If your glass door can open on both sides (doesn't have one fixed pane), then you should screw shut the side you don't use.  And make sure that the side that does open is on the inside track.  That makes it much harder to lift off the track.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#19]

My dad used to sell Weiser locks and they were well  built at the time.

The biggest mistake made with deadbolts is having one with a knob on the inside instead of a key if the lockset is within 30" of glass.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Regarding the sliding door.

I added two things.  A hinged bar that attaches to a bracket and prevents the sliding door from moving. It fits between the sliding door, and the inside edge of the frame opposite the sliding door.  

The second is a sliding bolt lock, attached on the sliding door and fits into a hole in the top of the frame.

Either one will prevent the door from being moved.

There are also plastic snap in pieces in the grooves above and below the sliding door that will prevent it from being lifted out of its tracks.

The next thing would be shatterproof film on the inside of the windows.

ETA: While the Medeco locks are best in the market (among 2 or 3 others), I went with the heavy duty Schlage deadbolts from Home Depot.

ANSI class 3 I think, which is heavy duty commercial use.  Class 2 is residential (a lower grade), and Class 1 is the lightest grade.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top