Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2006 7:35:50 AM EDT
Got back from vacatain yesterday. My little small digital camera just did not cut it for taking good pix. Couple of the freind had digital slr cameras and i want to get one. One had a Nikon and the other a Canon.

Couple of questions:

what should i look for in a digital Slr?
Can lenses from film slr be used on the digitals?
What brand has the best cost/value?

Thnaks
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Got back from vacatain yesterday. My little small digital camera just did not cut it for taking good pix. Couple of the freind had digital slr cameras and i want to get one. One had a Nikon and the other a Canon.

Couple of questions:

Thnaks

1) One that fits your budget
2) Yes
3) Canon or Nikon are pretty much the forerunners.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#3]
#2 is actually more of a "it depends."  Nikon has a chart of what series of lenses are compatible with their DSLRs.  I'm sure Canon has something similar.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Nikon D70.  I can use all of my old lenses from my FE and my 8008.  You can find some good deals on the body and lens package.  Check www.dpreview.com for reviews and prices.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Couple of questions:

Nikon have better "handling" camera, whereas Canon have better sensor technology.  Canon have lower noise at high ISO (low light) whereas Nikon locate most features on buttons instead of hidden inside menus.  Six one way, half a dozen the other.  One complain is Nikon uses DX or APS size sensor, the high end Canon uses 35mm (full frame) sensor.

Almost all lens can be used for both SLR or DSLR, or the other hand, some DSLR lens might not be used on film SLR because of vingetta (dark edge at the corners of  picture).  Entry level DSLR uses APS size sensor, so there is always a lens factor due to the size of the sensor.  It ranges from 1.33 to 1.5 with no lost in f/stop.  If you are into telephoto, you gain, if you are into wide angle landscape, you lost.

So far, for beginners/transition camera, both Nikon and Canon have very good offering:
Entry / Transition camers:
Nikon D50 and Canon Digital Rebel
Beginners DSLR
Nikon D70s and Canon 350D

As you might have guess, I uses Nikon
I currently owe and use both a D70 and a D200.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks forthe info.

some more questions

are the lenses interchangable between manufaurers?

Anyone comment on the olympus e500
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top