What kind of fuel does it use?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What kind of fuel does it use?

Phased Plasma.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Would be awesome if you owned a lot of land.  You could easily keep an eye on things.

Is it just me, or is it designed to be amphibious?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#4]
You'll chop you're head off with that thing kid.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Neat.

I'll stick with my trike though:

Less than $10,000, and still no license needed.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#6]
And it has enough inertia in those itty bitty main rotors to autorotate about like a brick.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't see where you would mount the LMG though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:18:42 AM EDT
[#8]
That looks like a really fun way to get killed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

In beofre the posting of that vid where the guy raises his arms in victory...while under the helicopter rotors.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In beofre the posting of that vid where the guy raises his arms in victory...while under the helicopter rotors.

Haven't seen it but ---Oouuch
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:22:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
And it has enough inertia in those itty bitty main rotors to autorotate about like a brick.

I think that's why they have the big bouncy cushion thingies on the bottom.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Although I can think of easier ways - many of which do not invovle me shitting myself right before I die.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:26:45 AM EDT
[#17]
It looks almost exactly like these little scout helicopters Soviet icebreakers used to find the easiest path through the ice pack

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#18]
fit it with a Hayabusa engine and of you go
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1

I live very close to a small rural airport and we average about 2-3 deaths a year from some George Jetson wanna-be that thinks a John Deere tractor w/ wings is supposed to 'fly like a bird' vs 'run like a deer'

Do your family a favor and double down on your life insurance.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On their FAQ page, they state that it is not designed to autorotate, as it operates at lower altitudes, where even regular helos don't autorotate very well.

Looking at the mass on those blades my guess would be anything over about 10 feet and you would be fooked.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice engine but that is a death trap helicopter.   It would be an excellent ultralight powerplant or experimental Sportplane...yes, you CAN have experimentals under Sport pilot regulations.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:44:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Latter day Benson Gyrocopter.  Updated to kill you quicker, after emptying your wallet.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Nice engine but that is a death trap helicopter.   It would be an excellent ultralight powerplant or experimental Sportplane...yes, you CAN have experimentals under Sport pilot regulations.

Here's the Sport Plane I'm holding out for...new job comes through and it will be mine, oh yes...

Mermaid Sport Plane
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#24]
But I thought the Robarms-Moller SkyXCaR will be shipping two weeks from now?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I was thinking a huge surge in Darwin Awards.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#26]
If you paid me $50,000 I MIGHT take a ride in some lawnmower with blades.   To pay for the privilage..... no way.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's the Sport Plane I'm holding out for...new job comes through and it will be mine, oh yes...
www.skyshops.org/images/on%20step2.jpg

Mermaid Sport Plane

Iran has these too

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.skyshops.org/images/on%20step2.jpg

Mermaid Sport Plane

Iran has these too

i3.tinypic.com/vscaky.jpg

But theirs are stealth.  And only ten countries have the technoligy to make them.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#29]
That thing looks badass!! I'd buy it and fly it daily if I had an extra 50 large layin around.

All you "deathtrap!" types....Your just a bunch of old crotchety sticks in the mud.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
That thing looks badass!! I'd buy it and fly it daily if I had an extra 50 large layin around.

All you "deathtrap!" types....Your just a bunch of old crotchety sticks in the mud.

At least I won't be a crater in the mud!  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Hold my beer...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Lawnmower helicopter: $50,000
Helmet:  $75
Five gallons of gas: $13

Dropping urine bombs on idiots who cause fender benders during the morning commute and tie up the entire freeway:  Priceless
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I believe its the forward motion of the helo/gyrocopter that create the ability to autorotate

nice how the gas tank is right in front so when you nose dive you get covered in flaming gas!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least I won't be a crater in the mud!  

Why not saves time on burial. Skip wake and go sraight to the burial. leaves more time and money for the after party where everyone gets loaded.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Cool, an new engine in a new aircraft flown by untrained pilots a few hundred feet above the ground!

What could go wrong!

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I believe its the forward motion of the helo/gyrocopter that create the ability to autorotate

nice how the gas tank is right in front so when you nose dive you get covered in flaming gas!!

Fuel tank is the silver thing behind the seat.  I'd imagine the plastic part up front holds balast.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#38]
That helo is cool but INSANE.

No an ultralite that is also a glider......maybe.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Cool, an new engine in a new aircraft flown by untrained pilots a few hundred feet above the ground!

What could go wrong!

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#40]
$50k seems a little inflated but I'd totally like to have one.

I'd rather have one of these... if it ever gets off the ground.... pun intended.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuel tank is the silver thing behind the seat.  I'd imagine the plastic part up front holds balast.

No, the silver tank is oil, this is a dry sump lubricated engine.  Air scavenged.  The oil tank is under slight pressure for the primary oil pump.  

That engine is the perfet powerplant for a Hummelbird.  With gear reduction drive, Ivoprop constant speed prop and properly counterweighted controls, it should make the H-ird do 150 Kts.  Morry Hummel thinks the world of the half VW.  Yuck.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, the silver tank is oil, this is a dry sump lubricated engine.  Air scavenged.  The oil tank is under slight pressure for the primary oil pump.  

That engine is the perfet powerplant for a Hummelbird.  The Morry Hummel thinks the world of the half VW.  Yuck.

I'm just basing my guess off of the pics on the wib site, but I only see one line running from the silver tank to the engine, it has a fuel style cap on it, and using that red plastic thing out front would lead to a hell of a CG move as fuel is consumed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Although I can think of easier ways - many of which do not invovle me shitting myself right before I die.  

You're just gonna shit yerself right after you die, so why not do it before and enjoy one last, really good dump?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#44]
If that's 50K, the 25K of that price is for the manufacturer's insurance.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm waiting for the model that mounts guns so I can go elk hunting.  Is there also a cargo model to carry the carrion back to camp?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
$50k seems a little inflated but I'd totally like to have one.

I'd rather have one of these... if it ever gets off the ground.... pun intended.

www.21stcentury.co.uk/images/technology/solotrek_main.jpg

You can order one to fly on an Experimental License right now. They do indeed fly. At $1.25M though, they are a bit out of my price range.

As for the Airscooter. Looks like fun. Outfit it with a ballistic parachute system and you are good to go. Just don't run into any power lines.

I wonder if they'd let me commute to work on one of those? Or if the FAA would send out its gunships to shoot me down?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#49]
"Intuituive controls" in a helo with a true rigid rotor.

Just don't fly higher than you are willing to fall with flailing parts all around.

["Composite Torque I-Box" structure is just unadulterated bullshit, it's mostly round tubes cantileverd off the mast.  I know the reference in the specs is to the rotor construction, and it's an inaccurate description of that, too.]

If you are interested, you will be wise to wait until the engine is actually available.  Waiting until many helos have been sold and successfully flown (this includes one successful takeoff and landing per flight) is also a wise move.  After that, you might want to see how well the factory supports the product in the field, then buy.  Or, you can finance another aviation dreamer and serve as his test pilot guinea pig, maybe sorting the bugs out, maybe not.

No thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#50]
At $50k per unit, it's still cheaper to fly first class...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top