Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2001 5:01:52 PM EDT
Damn.  Following the recent AZ shoot I forgot to  put the plastic lens covers back on the gun.  They were in my pocket.  I forgot them there.

The wife finds them in laundry and now they are gone.

Anyone know where to get these?  Or even get something better?

Thanks

James
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know what I am talking about;  assume that you are talking about some kind of cover for the integral optic right?

PJ's Investments used to advertise new barrels and other AUG stuff, so maybe contact him for the.  DOn't know his contact but he posts on Sturmgewehr from time to time.

Have you checked to see if Butler Creek still sells its "Bikini" rubber scope protector?  This would be pretty universal I think, and would go over the emergency sights with ease. It is not, however a thing of overthought Teutonic cleverness.  Cabelas, Natchez or any Butler Creek dealer ought to have some.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Natchez SS has both size bikini covers for less than five bucks.  Only thing is, I suspect that that Cobra style scope on the Aug falls between a dot scope and a regular scope in length, so I wouldn't know which to get.  

Good Luck

Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#3]
James,
        I don't know if this will help but the covers are just a couple of plastic "cap plugs", the rear measures 22MM on the outside and the front around 19MM. You might have some luck in a hardware store or Home depot. These fittings come on the ends of plumbing fittings to protect them, so if you know any plumbers hit 'em up for their discards. There are some numbers on the rear but it looks like some kind of stock ID, they both have a 2 on the bottom half?
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm. One word..
"Innertube". Make your own.
(Yes, I know, it's a Steyr AUG..Use a tube from a Pinzgauer, or a Halflinger then..it'll feel more comfortable..)

Otherwise, good luck,

Meplat
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#5]
James-

[url]http://www.caplugs.com/[/url]

I used to order from them when I mfg'd paint grenades for myself.

PS-mmmmmmmmmm...Steyr AUG...
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Ustalina,

I'm gonna try that link.  Maybe they got something "cool" for it.  I don't mind spenmding a few bucks for my baby.

Meplat,

Not sure how I could get an inner tube to stay on.  There ain't much to grab on the handle of an Aug.

Moto,

Not a bad idea.  Topcrest posted a good site with stuff that might fit.

Topcrest,

Why hmmmm, didn't you shoot it last year?  It was there.  But we had so many toys maybe you overlooked it.  Next time.  Thanks for the link.

James
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#8]
try stg77.com, and pass it on...
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
James-

[url]http://www.caplugs.com/[/url]

I used to order from them when I mfg'd paint grenades for myself.

PS-mmmmmmmmmm...Steyr AUG...
View Quote

I dont even want to know.... Oh! WAIT YES I DO!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:11:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Why not just get some flip-up scope caps from Butler Creek? That way, they are always on the rifle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#11]
MP, I didn't suggest the Blizzard/Butler creek caps, but now that you mention it, I guess you could slice cut-outs for the emergency sights in the soft plastic.  
With the Blizzards, you'd even have emergency see-thrus.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I E-Mailed Steyr today and they said that the rifle becomes useless without the lens covers. They also said it should be disposed of at once, so please mail said Steyr AUG to me and I will throw it away for you.

p.s. I'm just looking out for my AR15.COM brothers!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#13]
LMAO

Great to have people looking out for me.

OK, mayday, where shall I ship it?????

James
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#14]
try GSI's website
GSI is the current Steyr importer for the USA

[url]www.gsifirearms.com/product/s-brand-acc-augsa.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#15]
cnatra,

Thanks for the link.  Yeah, they have some neat stuff for AUGs.  Which is why it would have been better if I had never seen that link.  Oh well, only money.

James
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top