Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 8:20:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The brides/bridesmaids?  Maybe their dresses are too tight or something.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]
locked their knees?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know I've only seen three or four people actually faint or pass out (besides from the results of a fight) in my life. But all you have to do is watch some old Beatles footage and there are girls passing out left and right.

Did people used to pass out more in the olden days than they do now?

i've seen people pass out in formation... usually 2 or 3 every semester.  no matter how many times you tell people to not lock their knees, they dont listen, and take a dive as a result.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What causes you to faint from locked knees?

As far as I know, it interferes with the blood to your head. In some, odd, indirect manner.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as I know, it interferes with the blood to your head. In some, odd, indirect manner.

IIRC it has to do with movement of the muscles.  when you lock your knees you are supporting your weight almost exclusively with the bones, and therefore the blood is not getting squeezed around by contracting muscles.  since gravity pulls blood towards your legs, it tends to pool down there causing a lack of blood in the brain.  people with low blood pressure are particularly suseptable to it, as are people with low iron, dehydrated, or in poor physical shape.  the majority of people i see pass out are fatass freshmen, and females with absolutely no strength whatsoever.  i never see someone in good shape take a dive from standing still, even with knees locked
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
go stand at attention for 30-60 mins with your knees locked.(i hated change of commands)
legs get tired,like said earlier restricts blood flow.

passing out at weddings may also be from being nervous.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
go stand at attention for 30-60 mins with your knees locked. In miami (i hated change of commands)

added environmental suck-ness
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC it has to do with movement of the muscles.  when you lock your knees you are supporting your weight almost exclusively with the bones, and therefore the blood is not getting squeezed around by contracting muscles.  since gravity pulls blood towards your legs, it tends to pool down there causing a lack of blood in the brain.  people with low blood pressure are particularly suseptable to it, as are people with low iron, dehydrated, or in poor physical shape.  the majority of people i see pass out are fatass freshmen, and females with absolutely no strength whatsoever. i never see someone in good shape take a dive from standing still, even with knees locked

i have seen a few at change of commands collapse.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
go stand at attention for 30-60 mins with your knees locked. In miami (i hated change of commands)

added environmental suck-ness

?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC it has to do with movement of the muscles.  when you lock your knees you are supporting your weight almost exclusively with the bones, and therefore the blood is not getting squeezed around by contracting muscles.  since gravity pulls blood towards your legs, it tends to pool down there causing a lack of blood in the brain.  people with low blood pressure are particularly suseptable to it, as are people with low iron, dehydrated, or in poor physical shape.  the majority of people i see pass out are fatass freshmen, and females with absolutely no strength whatsoever. i never see someone in good shape take a dive from standing still, even with knees locked

i have seen a few at change of commands collapse.

Yep, it's kinda funny.
The ambulance is parked just outside the hanger awaiting the inevitable.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#13]
thats why you don't see fixed bayonets at formations.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#14]

The worst one i saw was a guidon bearer go down.  He didn't have a chance.
Atleast those IN the formation have others around to catch them.

(not sure how to spell  guidon)
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Spelled it right.

Environmental suckness can include, no air moving, hot, stress, added to tight collars.  Was at a wedding and the Groom went down twice and the bride once and then an Usher.  At that point they brought chairs out for the wedding party to all sit down
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I've seen alter boys faint, too.  Same thing.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I WISH I had fainted at my wedding.  Maybe it would've prevented me from ever uttering "I do."
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Lots of brides don't eat much on the wedding day either.
Stress, lack of food, etc...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I WISH I had fainted at my wedding.  Maybe it would've prevented me from ever uttering "I do."

+ 87
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top