Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 6:35:36 PM EDT
www.world-mysteries.com/sar_1.htm

Introduction
In 1929, a group of historians found an amazing map drawn on a gazelle skin.
Research showed that it was a genuine document drawn in 1513 by Piri Reis, a famous admiral of the Turkish fleet in the sixteenth century.
His passion was cartography. His high rank within the Turkish navy allowed him to have a privileged access to the Imperial Library of Constantinople.
The Turkish admiral admits in a series of notes on the map that he compiled and copied the data from a large number of source maps, some of which dated back to the fourth century BC or earlier.

The Controversy
The Piri Reis map shows the western coast of Africa, the eastern coast of South America, and the northern coast of Antarctica. The northern coastline of Antarctica is perfectly detailed. The most puzzling however is not so much how Piri Reis managed to draw such an accurate map of the Antarctic region 300 years before it was discovered, but that the map shows the coastline under the ice. Geological evidence confirms that the latest date Queen Maud Land could have been charted in an ice-free state is 4000 BC.

The rest can be found at the link...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#1]
btt for edit...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool.  I always thought I should have been an archaeologist.  I could have been like Indiana Jones.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
tag for later
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about the Air Force guy and other stuff on that site, but it stinks of woo-woo BS.  I would like to see this alleged surveys done by the Air Force overlayed over the map.

For those interested in FACTS, just as Dr. Jones was, you might want to check out this site as well.

xoomer.virgilio.it/dicuoghi/Piri_Reis/PiriReis_eng.htm

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like Fossil_Fuel beat me to it.  I must have had this window open for a while before I got to it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#7]
D'oh!  This is what I get for taking something I read on the internet for granted.    I didn't really go to the link or look at the map.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top