Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2006 1:17:39 PM EDT
I moved and now have a small pond (about 1/4 acre) and I'd like to stock it with brim. A friend told me I'd have to get rid of the pond turtles first or they'd eat the fish.

Is that right?

These turtles aren't snappers, they are just plain old pond turtles. I don't want to kill them if I don't have to.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]
turtles are opportunistic feeders.  if they can catch it they will eat it, including fish
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Turtles are not very efficient hunters.  They will try to catch fish but they will most likely not be able to put a dent in the population.  I wouldn't worry about them.  They're more likely to pose a problem eating your bait.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I moved and now have a small pond (about 1/4 acre) and I'd like to stock it with brim. A friend told me I'd have to get rid of the pond turtles first or they'd eat the fish.

Is that right?

These turtles aren't snappers, they are just plain old pond turtles. I don't want to kill them if I don't have to.

depending on the size of your pond, you'll need a few turtles.

they prevent over-stocking (yes they will eat fish) and they can and will eat dead fish (but not rotting).

if you have a small pond, say 1/4 acre, I'd be wary of a large number of turtles (9 or more) as they may feed on the fingerlings that you'll be stocking with.

My parent's pond was full of small fish even after weeding some (small fish) out.  The previous owner was fond of shooting the turtles and herrons with a 22.

With no predation, the pond was unable to support large fish and consequently the average size shrank.

i wouldn't go overboard with the turtle killing, but I'm no ecologist/wildlife biologist.

edit: called my dad, his opinion was that the turtles weren't going to pose a large threat.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Check with your local wildlife/fisheries extension agent.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it depends on the type of turtle as well.  Little painted ones are going to do much. But we had a huge snapper that would catch large fish and eat them.  

It started having an effect on how many fish were in the pond.

It took 4 hits of ss109 and still didnt die.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#6]
good target practice.  We never stocked them, just understand that build it and they will come (kind of like mud cats).
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
not sure how MS is, but in FL you WILL get gators too.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Some gators around here but not many. None around my little piece of land.  I'm thinking there are about 10-15 turtles in there, but only about 4 or 5 are very large - being about 8 inches or so long. I've seen some babies too.

Anyways, thanks for the replies!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#9]
they will eat a few fish, but mostly dead ones.  If you are still concerned catch them out sun bathing and shoot them.  If you can't shoot them set a traught line.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#10]
It's all about balance, too many turtles is bad, too may fish is bad, etc. If you already have them they are eating something.

BTW I am a wildlife biologist.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#11]
turtles in your pond.? don't cool your feet off by danglin your footsies over the dock.. dont wanna feed the turtles your toes...

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
good target practice.  We never stocked them, just understand that build it and they will come (kind of like mud cats).

+1, and big +1.

Some of my happiest afternoons when I was a kid were spent on a pond bank shooting turtles (and a bullfrog or a bazillion) with a .22 RF rifle.

The dead turtles will usually float to the surface the following day.

You definitely don't want to stock turtles, you'll have plenty, and you can have too many.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Bream make rabbits look celebate.  Don't worry.

The biggest problem you  will have is not taking  enought  fish out and they will overpopulate your pond within a few years.

+1 on 22LR + turtle on log= fun
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't forget to put in a few catfish. Fun to catch and good eating too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
turtles in your pond.? don't cool your feet off by danglin your footsies over the dock.. dont wanna feed the turtles your toes...

www.dausettrails.com/snapturtle.jpg

So, ummmm , how'd you manage to get "mr. jurassic park" into your boat and did you get a chance to weigh him? Did you also cut him open to see what he was eating as his primary diet?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.dausettrails.com/snapturtle.jpg

So, ummmm , how'd you manage to get "mr. jurassic park" into your boat and did you get a chance to weigh him? Did you also cut him open to see what he was eating as his primary diet?

Need to cut him open and make soup out of him.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think it depends on the type of turtle as well.  Little painted ones are going to do much. But we had a huge snapper that would catch large fish and eat them.  

It started having an effect on how many fish were in the pond.

It took 4 hits of ss109 and still didnt die.

He will die eventually. They are tough bastards though.

I put 7 rounds of .45 in a huge snapper a few weekends ago and crawled away from me went into the pond and it dove underwater. I found it yesterday up on the pond bank dead as a hammer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top