Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 12:06:51 PM EDT
So I let the dog out and no sooner had I closed the door, then I heard the dog yelping and barking. I ran outside, expecting to see her facing off with the neighbor's dog.

Instead I found her barking at a large grey squirrel. She had the squirrel cornered against a tree. Now, normally, you'd expect to see the squirrel turn tail and run up the tree to escape.

BUT NO.

As the dog lunged in for a nip, the squirrel JUMPED ONTO HER, clamped around her snout. The dog began yelping in pain and spinning rapidly around in circles with the squirrel clinging to her collar as she spins, his hind legs flapping in the breeze.

Finally, the squirrel lets go, and tumbles to the ground, and the dog pounces on him, chews him a bit, and then runs to me, wagging her tail with pride.

I put her inside, and then went back outside and put three .22s in the still-flopping rodent.

Hope it didn't have rabies...The dog isn't bleeding anywhere. She goes to the vet this week, anyhow so we'll see.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Realestate must be getting tight up there. Reminds me of the infomous DC attack squirles. When they only have 10ft square they get pretty teritorial.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, I've never known a squirrel to attack.  Has your dog been vaccinated against rabies?  Cool story.  During the rut, Cock Pheasants will attack.  I was out working my dog in an area where you wouldn't expect any pheasants to be.  My dog went on point so I went up to see what he was pointing at.  Before I could get ahead of my dog the Rooster flushed out of the bush at my dog.  He stood up on his  hind legs in shock before he lunged for the rooster.  Thankfully the pheasant thought twice about taking him on and flew away.  I don't know how long it would take me to break my dog from flushing otherwise.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
It is my understanding that rodents do not carry rabies.  It is a mammilian disease.  Told to me by my vet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
squirrely little bastard!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
That's an Eastern Rodeo Squirrel and they're endangered.  You better edit this post before the gov't comes knocking.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#6]

It is my understanding that rodents do not carry rabies. It is a mammilian disease. Told to me by my vet.

umm  may want to check with your vet again

CDC link on rabies

any mammal (and yes squirrels are mammals) can carry rabies.   They are not the most common carrier but it can  happen.   Squirrels don't generally attack unless ill or protecting young.  Take the squirrel to your vet to be sure

Small rodents (such as squirrels, rats, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, and chipmunks, ) and lagomorphs (such as rabbits and hares) are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to cause rabies among humans in the United States. Bites by these animals are usually not considered a risk of rabies unless the animal was sick or behaving in any unusual manner and rabies is widespread in your area. However, from 1985 through 1994, woodchucks accounted for 86% of the 368 cases of rabies among rodents reported to CDC.  Woodchucks or groundhogs (Marmota monax) are the only rodents that may be frequently submitted to state health department because of a suspicion of rabies. In all cases involving rodents, the state or local health department should be consulted before a decision is made to initiate postexposure prophylaxis (PEP).
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#9]
She looks like my 3 yr. old , she's got a little more gray on her muzzle than mine, she is about 5 or 6?? Great dogs, my 1st. lab , but not my last.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It is my understanding that rodents do not carry rabies.  It is a mammilian disease.  Told to me by my vet.

Rodents aren't mammals?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
She looks like my 3 yr. old , she's got a little more gray on her muzzle than mine, she is about 5 or 6?? Great dogs, my 1st. lab , but not my last.

She's about 7.5 almost 8 years old.

And she's an IDIOT. We had two Newfoundlands before her, and they were the most intelligent, gentle and fun dogs I've ever met.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And she's an IDIOT. We had two Newfoundlands before her, and they were the most intelligent, gentle and fun dogs I've ever met.

Dont feel bad, my chocolate lab is an idiot too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All i have had before were, German sheps, a Dobie, and a very large Rottie.[150lb.]Still, dogs are some of the best people i know.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rodents aren't mammals?

the man has a point...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rodents aren't mammals?

the man has a point...

We dont have a contract with them!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#16]
LoL !

She looks like a Sweet heart ..

My dog absolutly hates squirrels with a passion . She has caught a few that wen't 6-7 ft up the side of the backyard tree and stopped thinking they were safe which was a big mistake since she just snags them off the side of the tree with one leap ! Alittle chomping and a death shake = one dead squirrel .
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Were you born this way or did you fall off the stupid truck today?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup, fell off the truck onto my head.....and bounced.

I stand corrected.

<------- retreats to his shadowed corner of arfcom
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you born this way or did you fall off the stupid truck today?

What's that saying about "Keep yer mouth closed and let em THINK yer stupid"  ????  

Next time you THINK you've got a witty comment, maybe think again, dum-dum...

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's that saying about "Keep yer mouth closed and let em THINK yer stupid"  ????  

A true Spelling nazi would have corrected me, not just highlighted my mistake.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A true Sspelling nazi would have corrected me, not just highlight my mistake.

+1
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#23]

thanks adair.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess even squirrels aren't exempt from the Napoleon complex.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks EXACTLY like my dog, whitening muzzle and all! She runs about 85 lbs, but her big brother is about 108! He's a big baby, but hell on tennis balls!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Look at the picture. Your dog has red eyes. I'd check for rabies.

It's a sure sign...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top