Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2006 11:12:44 AM EDT
Well? A good idea or not?

Senator urges direct US-Iran talks

By Jim Wolf

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States should hold direct talks with Iran on its nuclear program and go slow on pressing for sanctions, contrary to Bush administration strategy, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee chairman said on Sunday.

Breaking with President George W. Bush's insistence on a multilateral approach through the U.N. Security Council, Sen. Richard Lugar said direct U.S. talks with Iran would be useful as part of a broad dialogue on energy.

Lugar, on the ABC television program "This Week," said it was too soon to press hard for sanctions aimed at halting Iran's suspected nuclear weapons program even as the Bush administration prepares to do so at a meeting in Moscow Tuesday.

"I believe, for the moment, that we ought to cool this one, too," said Lugar, a Republican from Indiana. "We need to make more headway diplomatically."

Spokesmen for the White House and the State Department had no immediate comment.

Bush, wary of any Iranian effort to undo multilateral diplomacy, has ruled out direct U.S.-Iran talks on the nuclear issue, although he has opened a door to bilateral discussions on sectarian violence in neighboring Iraq.

Iran announced last week it had enriched uranium for use in fueling power stations for the first time in defiance of a March 29 U.N. Security Council demand that it halt its enrichment program.

The announcement fanned Western fears of a covert atomic bomb program that has spurred reports of U.S. planning for the possible use of tactical nuclear weapons to knock out underground nuclear sites.   Continued...

today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2006-04-16T182442Z_01_N16217168_RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAN-USA.xml
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I think we shuold talk directly to them. I believe we can have a watershed moment like Nixon's visit to China. Remember that Nixon visited China not many years after they were directly supporting the NVA against us.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hello, Iran?

KABOOOMMMM!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck that.

It is not just our best interest for Iran to not have nukes. It is in the world's best interest.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#4]
USA : Hey you stop the nuke thing.  Got it?  
Iran: Blah Blah Blah
USA:  Launch.

Or

USA : Hey you stop the nuke thing.  Got it?  
Iran: Yeah that sounds like a good idea.
USA:  O.K. We'll come back tomorrow to talk more.  

One or the other.  There is no other option.  Iran must never be allowed to develop nukes.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#6]
More talks? Yawn. Wake me up when we nuke them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I suggest we "talk" to them, in the manner of Ronaldus Maximus.....

"The bombing begins in five minutes."

Seriously.

We tell them "Knock it off, or we nuke you. You have 30 days to PROVE compliance."

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the appropriate thing to do would be talk.... after we nuke them.

Then it would be more like:  We talk   They listen.  Sort of like Japan did at the end of WWII.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:50:40 PM EDT
[#9]
There is no talking to Islamofascists.  They will smile and nod and lie while they prepare to strike.  

We have no choice but to nuke em first.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldnt be against it.Dont think it will do any good,they seem to be spoiling for a fight with us and for some reason they think now is the time.As long as our military,especially in the ME is on guard against a Pearl Harbor like strike,I have no problem with us getting all our ducks in a row and end this shit at a time of our choosing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#11]
By talking to them directlly, that is a consession on our part. They have to give something up first.

I wouldn't be opposed to a negotiation process that included lifting sanctions against them, as long as we drop the hammer as soon as they deviate from the terms. Something we didn't do with Saddam. We just played grabass with them for 15 years.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I think we should have direct talks with Iran.

I'm going to start tomorrow by talking to the hot Iranian DBA at work
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Anybody else-it'd be worth talking first.  We cannot trust Iran, and they've already said Israel should be wiped off the map.

No talking-just action with these dips.

HH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top