Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2006 5:56:06 AM EDT
See the post on the Bushmaster site or at the ARFcom entrance....
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:57:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:58:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Holy Shit!!  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:58:26 AM EDT
[#3]
From Bushmaster's website:

Bushmaster Continues to Grow with New Owner

Windham, ME--April 14, 2006--We are very pleased to announce another important step in the growth of Bushmaster Firearms. The business of Bushmaster Firearms, Inc. has been acquired by an affiliate of Cerberus Capital Management, L.P.

Cerberus and its affiliated entities, headquartered in New York, manage funds and accounts with capital in excess of $18 Billion. The new company will be called Bushmaster Firearms International, LLC and its primary operations will remain in Windham, Maine and Lake Havasu City, Arizona. We will continue our 28 year history of commitment to providing high quality, affordable firearms, parts and accessories for Consumer, Law Enforcement, Military and International Customers. The new owners are committed to this company and these markets.

John DeSantis will continue as the CEO of the new company, and Richard Thurston and Allen Faraday will continue in their current roles as senior executives of Bushmaster. Chad Brooks will be joining Bushmaster as Chief Operating Officer. The new company will strive to capitalize on Bushmaster’s premier market position, and will continue to grow the business. Richard Dyke will serve on the Board of Directors.

As we continue to grow, we hope that you share our excitement about Bushmaster’s future, and our ongoing efforts to serve our customers with the highest quality products, the most responsive customer service, and the best delivery in the industry.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:59:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh noes!!!1!!!!!111
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#6]
If pricing or service doesn't change...Who cares?

Colt isnt't Colt anymore...been that way a long time.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:02:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Oh noes!!!1!!!!!111

+1!!!1!1!1!Eleventyone!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:04:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:05:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Oh noes!!!1!!!!!111

There is nothing like the good service provided by a company with a soul and owned by a single person. Bushmaster has long provided great service to me. They have become large and prosperous.  When a company becomes more business model oriented and corporately owned, often it has no soul,  and things change. Sometimes good sometimes bad. Best wishes to Bushmaster in their new operating model. You can't blame an entreprenur for cashing in his chips and reaping the fruits of his efforts.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#11]

I have a bad feeling about this, Chewi.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:13:33 AM EDT
[#12]
So will they subcontract production to China?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Expansion often requires a cash infusion.  Look who the CEO still is.  A very familiar name indeed.  As to the previous owners, we all know that any smallish business is most profitable to the owner when it is sold to a larger concern.  I would play chicken little until I actually saw the sky falling.  It looks pretty blue and clear from here.

Is this John DeSantis, the same DeSantis of the holster fame?

I guess the original owner cashed out and has moved on to something else.  This is the entrepreneurial spirit , which is the heart and sole of capitalism in the USofA.

entrepreneurial

A person who organizes, operates, and assumes the risk for a business venture.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Hopefully things will continue on as is.
All too often large corps buy reputable companies and ride their name into oblivion with diminished products and service. I guess I don't consider this a good thing given how well Bushmaster has done. Far more room to go down than up IMO. We'll see.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Hopefully they will fire the monkeys who currently install front sight bases and barrels. Solving the excessive windage problem finally.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#16]
The former Colt owners Bought it! Just kidding. They will probly be Anti-Civilian now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Personally I was hoping Bushmaster would do an IPO.

Anyone been following S&W stock for the last couple years?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#18]

i'd be willing to bet that the next time a ME state AWB is proposed, the NY owners won't be in Augusta fighting it like the last time around...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hopefully they will fire the monkeys who currently install front sight bases and barrels. Solving the excessive windage problem finally.

A number of years ago, I spoke with Tom Barr, he's some type of high up mucky muck, at Quality Parts Corp/Bushmaster, and according to him, installing those sight towers "are a real bitch."  He goes on to tell that they use a special jig developed in-house for this purpose.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:40:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Personally I was hoping Bushmaster would do an IPO.

Anyone been following S&W stock for the last couple years?

No S&W But it is penny stock almost.

Edit: It did come up from .50 cents a share though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:41:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I hoped the acquirer would be AR15.com, LLC.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I hoped the acquirer would be AR15.com, LLC.

Group buy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#23]
NutOfGuns: WELCOME!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/callgood/Ihaveabadfeeling.jpg

I have a bad feeling about this, Chewi.

That's not a small moon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Bigger seldom equals better in the business world.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
All too often large corps buy reputable companies and ride their name into oblivion with diminished products and service. I guess I don't consider this a good thing given how well Bushmaster has done. Far more room to go down than up IMO. We'll see.

Shades of Harley Davidson durning the AMF years?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Is customer service that bad?   I ordered a bunch of spare parts two weeks ago and they missed two small items in my order.  I sent them an email and told them no big deal could they just include them on my next order (placed this morning) but they said they had already sent them in the mail.  

Other than some parts for my spare stock supplies i have not done any business with them.   What was the problem with the FSB?

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.

Hopefully, it is a deal intended to increase the growth potential and financial stability of the company, not an attempt for Cerberus to extract as much value as possible.  Time will tell.  It can definitely go either way.

Given the large number of new players in the AR market, if the new owners try to increase their margins by cutting quality/services, it would really hurt the company.  On the flip side, if the owners want to try to grow the business, this may be an awesome opportunity.  (And, if they've got deep pockets, maybe another lobbyist to work against gun control in Washington)
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#29]
It will either be really good, or really bad.
If it's really good maybe they will finally get to Colt qaulity. And yes I actually own Bushies.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Man that sucks.  I wonder what will happen.

Max
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:35:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Best case, they can improve production, and massively market a good product for somewhat less money.

Worst case, the do the same thing that Schwinn Bicycles did...  make a good, expensive product, sell off the name to a takeover company who then immediately outsources everthing to china and puts crap product with a great name in every wal-mart in America.  In five years the name has been bled dry and is now synonimous with crap.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#32]
These things happen!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
If it's really good maybe they will finally get to Colt qaulity. And yes I actually own Bushies.

you mean the colts and bushy's that are made in CMT's factory?

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMG COLT IS JUST A NAME?????   Say it ain't so!    

Must have more kool-aid.......  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's not turn this into that same tired old thread.  It's not like Bushmaster is unable to do things like individual MP testing (which would at most cost a buck ro two per rifle) or other marginal differences between the two manufacturers.  It's just that they made a decision to not do those things (most likely because they judged it to not be important) - just like other manufacturers make decisions about what steel to use, and whether to park under FSBs or whatever.

It's really not a "quality" issue at all, but people mistakenly perceive it as such.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#36]
On the bright side, they're being bought by money men, who hopefully know enough that they don't want to run a firearms business day to day.

I'd be more concerned if they were bought by a large firearms manufacturer who wanted to come in and run things their own way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#37]
DUPE!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
On the bright side, they're being bought by money men, who hopefully know enough that they don't want to run a firearms business day to day.

I'd be more concerned if they were bought by a large firearms manufacturer who wanted to come in and run things their own way.

And put one of these

on. "For the children."
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#39]
New board of directors have been quoted as saying "we know the market and the needs of our customers".

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
If pricing or service doesn't change...Who cares?

Colt isnt't Colt anymore...been that way a long time.

+1
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#42]
well, as long as the new company does pull strings with them we should be ok, but if the parent company suddenly decides that we underclass citizens should not have "assault weapons" and institute their own AWB on the company, it will be teh suck.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Just fucking great . Any one else notice they put a Dyke on the Board of Directors
?

No wonder DK Prof is all up in this thread .
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
From Bushmaster's website:

Bushmaster Continues to Grow with New Owner

Windham, ME--April 14, 2006--We are very pleased to announce another important step in the growth of Bushmaster Firearms. The business of Bushmaster Firearms, Inc. has been acquired by an affiliate of Cerberus Capital Management, L.P.

Cerberus and its affiliated entities, headquartered in New York, manage funds and accounts with capital in excess of $18 Billion. The new company will be called Bushmaster Firearms International, LLC and its primary operations will remain in Windham, Maine and Lake Havasu City, Arizona. We will continue our 28 year history of commitment to providing high quality, affordable firearms, parts and accessories for Consumer, Law Enforcement, Military and International Customers. The new owners are committed to this company and these markets.

John DeSantis will continue as the CEO of the new company, and Richard Thurston and Allen Faraday will continue in their current roles as senior executives of Bushmaster. Chad Brooks will be joining Bushmaster as Chief Operating Officer. The new company will strive to capitalize on Bushmaster’s premier market position, and will continue to grow the business. Richard Dyke will serve on the Board of Directors.

As we continue to grow, we hope that you share our excitement about Bushmaster’s future, and our ongoing efforts to serve our customers with the highest quality products, the most responsive customer service, and the best delivery in the industry.

isnt that the name of the deamon dog that faurds the gates of hell? you know the ones from resident evil and the great religeous mythology

they should do some resident evil type designs and market them to the zombie hunters here on arf.com
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Yup.
No question about it.
IMO we've been witnessing the slow-mo long term decline of the American Firearms industry for some time now.  Most arfcommers aren't old enough to know how much more seriously gun manufacturers took their products in decades past.  Not that everything was flawless, just that they at least took their role a makers of lethal tools seriously.  Now all they're interested in is in making lots of bucks by making new toys.  Half the owners of these companies wouldn't know a good firearm from a good fountain pen.
Bushmaster was one of the last small arms makers whose products I've had very good luck with.  That'll end now, mark my words.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Just fucking great . Any one else notice they put a Dyke on the Board of Directors
?

No wonder DK Prof is all up in this thread .

I've got my finger ready, in case it's needed  !!  

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Hopefully the infusion of capitol will increase production rates..
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Expansion often requires a cash infusion.  .

Difficult financial times also often requires a cash infusion.

Don't ask how I know...

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Expansion often requires a cash infusion.  .

DIfficulkt financial times also often requires a cash infusion.

Don;t ask how I know...

How long did that lawsuit with Colt last?

I’m thinking that it went on a bit longer than it should have...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top