Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2006 7:03:09 PM EDT
Is it a lifestyle? A look? A philosophy?

I have the look and live a type of hedonistic/hippie lifestyle but I'm as far right politically as you come. George Bush is looking pretty left to me right now, as a matter of fact.

What makes a hippie?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
A few missing chromosomes and a mother who drank during pregnancy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Person - Brain - Cleanliness + Long Hair + Pot = Hippie.

I HATE EM.  GOD DAMN HIPPIES!

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

ziNG!!!!  good one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]
It's more like pot and guitar
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#5]
It is someone who failed at life and has turned to Communism as his or her only means of and last chance at becoming important.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#6]
someone who wants to save the world, but they just smoke weed and smell bad.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Canadian longhairs who skydive
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Hippie Repellant -

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Body oder
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#10]
See? Most people here dont really know just what a hippie is.

You can't spot a hippie by how they look always. It's a philosophy of extreme liberalism, not a haircut or lack of hygene.

Here's webster's definition:

hip·pie also hip·py    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (hp)
n. pl. hip·pies
A person who opposes and rejects many of the conventional standards and customs of society, especially one who advocates extreme liberalism in sociopolitical attitudes and lifestyles.

The look and the hygene are just dressing and excuses for laziness.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Bongos, tuneless noodling on a bamboo flute, and/or an overpowering reek of patchouli and BO are good indicators.

I think it's a lifestyle/attitude that combines a desire for libertinism regarding sex and drugs with a desire for (and willingness to accept) a broad "safety net" of food, shelter, and medical care from whoever will pay for it. I have known some who were genuinely entrepreneurial, running successful small businesses, trading in real estate, et c. For them it's more a matter of fashion and politics (moonbat orthodoxy, for the most part)  than anything else. I also knew one who while in college was making $4 - 5K a month dealing pot and getting food stamps, reduced-rate utilities, et c. because he had no "job."
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I use it as an insult.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

bwahahahahaha!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad you asked.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Bongos, tuneless noodling on a bamboo flute, and/or an overpowering reek of patchouli and BO are good indicators.

I think it's a lifestyle/attitude that combines a desire for libertinism regarding sex and drugs with a desire for (and willingness to accept) a broad "safety net" of food, shelter, and medical care from whoever will pay for it. I have known some who were genuinely entrepreneurial, running successful small businesses, trading in real estate, et c. For them it's more a matter of fashion and politics (moonbat orthodoxy, for the most part)   than anything else. I also knew one who while in college was making $4 - 5K a month dealing pot and getting food stamps, reduced-rate utilities, et c. because he had no "job."

Not a true hippie. An opportunist/hippocrit.

If their business takes off, they will become capitalists so that almost makes them sociopaths.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I've always considered a hippy to be a remnant of the 60s. I just had a younger guy refer to himself as a hippy and I thought of him more as a welfare/ SSI bum, but I guess it may depend on how you view yourself as far as these younger guys go...........
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#18]
When someone says Hippie, I picutre a bunch of non bathing freaks sitting in a circle on a grassy hill weaving daisy chains to wear on their heads.  When they should be freaking shaving!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

BADDA BING!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BADDA BING!

You hate me don't ya?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BADDA BING!

You hate me don't ya?

Not at all. But you must admit, raven did make a snappy reply.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I was in Woodstock last Friday and saw lots of them.  It's the hippie mecca of the east coast.  As soon as I turned off route 28 my skin started to crawl and I had a creepy feeling running up and down my spine.  My soul knew something was wrong and was trying to warn me to turn around.  I was soon passing signs that said "Hippies welcome anytime."  Creepy.

Hippies:  Dope smoking, free love, no personal responsibility, I'm okay, you're okay (even if you are a pedophile), choose the opposite side of whatever the government or politicians support, drive volvos and subarus, use the word groovy more than once a year, yoga, favorite sayings include "really mellow dude",  like, listen to and produce folk music, think protests can actually do any good.

My sister was a hippie, I know them well.......
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Is it a lifestyle? A look? A philosophy?

I have the look and live a type of hedonistic/hippie lifestyle but I'm as far right politically as you come. George Bush is looking pretty left to me right now, as a matter of fact.

What makes a hippie?

i dont know what makes a hippie but i personaly like  to wear my hair long . yes  some people
give me funny looks now and again . hey i dont give a fuck what other people think , i dont do drugs and
have never been arrested and i enjoy  my lifestyle .

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#25]

The hippie generation of the sixties and all their demented spawnchildren of GenX are the most noxious and toxic scumpad that has ever surfaced in the American gene pool.

That whole liberal-arts-majored, drug-pushing, socially-retarded, authority-hating, hemp-wearing, dirt-munching generation of self-indulgent, America-hating, Veteran-face-spitting, ungrateful, Marxist-tool-shit-for-brains should be flogged, skewered, disemboweled, drawn, quartered and fed to the hogs.

And the GenX/GenY scraggly-bearded, birkenstock-wearing, hemp-pushing, college-crap-filled, woefully-ignorant, America-can-do-no-right, hypocritical, anarchy-marching, hyper-sexed, pointlessly-radical, self-centered, snot-eating, nihilistic, amoral, ritalin-chomping, zit-pus-equivalents that are the putrid progeny of the 60s flower-child generation and that now fill the schools by day and the streets and malls by night are just as offensive and even more destructive to the already tattered remnants of the once-noble American culture and society.

These "oh-I'm-so-intelligent-and-progressive-minded" dirtbags think they're so "open-minded" and rational because they wear peace-signs, have "Question Authority" bumper-stickers on their broken-down '74 VW bus, read Noam Chomsky, will fuck anything anywhere, listen to DMB and Tool and wear filthy rags for clothes just to "be different" and think they're the most intelligent, clever and brilliant people who've ever lived when in fact they are just a bunch of lazy-assed, underachieving, snot-nosed, full-of-shit, waste-of-space, useful-idiot-jerkweeds of the radical Marxists clogging up our society and eroding our national identity, security, soveriegnty and future.

And in trying soooooo hard to "be different" and be so "counterculture" they ALL end up looking, talking and acting EXACTLY identical - like some massive nationwide bastard borg of ragged, unoriginal, "alternative-music" following, putrid-smelling, Marxist-spouting clones.

Hippies.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The hippie generation of the sixties and all their demented spawnchildren of GenX are the most noxious and toxic scumpad that has ever surfaced in the American gene pool.

That whole liberal-arts-majored, drug-pushing, socially-retarded, authority-hating, hemp-wearing, dirt-munching generation of self-indulgent, America-hating, Veteran-face-spitting, ungrateful, Marxist-tool-shit-for-brains should be flogged, skewered, disemboweled, drawn, quartered and fed to the hogs.

And the GenX/GenY scraggly-bearded, birkenstock-wearing, hemp-pushing, college-crap-filled, woefully-ignorant, America-can-do-no-right, hypocritical, anarchy-marching, hyper-sexed, pointlessly-radical, self-centered, snot-eating, nihilistic, amoral, ritalin-chomping, zit-pus-equivalents that are the putrid progeny of the 60s flower-child generation and that now fill the schools by day and the streets and malls by night are just as offensive and even more destructive to the already tattered remnants of the once-noble American culture and society.

These "oh-I'm-so-intelligent-and-progressive-minded" dirtbags think they're so "open-minded" and rational because they wear peace-signs, have "Question Authority" bumper-stickers on their broken-down '74 VW bus, read Noam Chomsky, will fuck anything anywhere, listen to DMB and Tool and wear filthy rags for clothes just to "be different" and think they're the most intelligent, clever and brilliant people who've ever lived when in fact they are just a bunch of lazy-assed, underachieving, snot-nosed, full-of-shit, waste-of-space, useful-idiot-jerkweeds of the radical Marxists clogging up our society and eroding our national identity, security, soveriegnty and future.

And in trying soooooo hard to "be different" and be so "counterculture" they ALL end up looking, talking and acting EXACTLY identical - like some massive nationwide bastard borg of ragged, unoriginal, "alternative-music" following, putrid-smelling, Marxist-spouting clones.

Hippies.

Very good post. Age is more important than anything though, most hippies are under 23 or over 50 and they are UGLY for the most part. There is barely _any_ give in those rules. Judging on looks may kill you though, I usually get treated very poorly in gun shops I dont frequent because honestly I have hair longer than most women
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Now hold on there about Tool.

They did write a song about California falling into the ocean.

"I'm pryaing for mayhem."

"I want to watch it all go down."

They can't be that bad.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Very good post. Age is more important than anything though, most hippies are under 23 or over 50 and they are UGLY for the most part. There is barely _any_ give in those rules. Judging on looks may kill you though, I usually get treated very poorly in gun shops I dont frequent because honestly I have hair longer than most women

I too have long hair, but get a different reception at the archery shops.

"Hey!  It's Ted!"
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Just go to any  anti-war protest and look for anyone over 50.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:47:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Hippies.

Don't hold back, now.
Tell us how you really feel, Mac.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:50:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I have long hair and I've been called a hippy.

Which is funny.

Because I'm highly conservative and capitalistic.

My hair just looks terrible short.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Which is funny.

Next time ask them,
"Do hippies carry guns like I do?"

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:58:24 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is funny.

Next time ask them,
"Do hippies carry guns like I do?"

Can't carry a gun. Yet. Just barely can smoke (though I don't anymore). But one day!

Also, I do wear birkenstocks and hawaiian shirts, have the beginnings of a scraggly beard, listen to Tool, and I even read Palahniuk. So I guess I can see why some people think I might be a hippy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:01:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Hawaiian shirts and birkenstocks?

WTF?

Everybody know you wear Vans with Hawaiian shirts, dude.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Hawaiian shirts and birkenstocks?

WTF?

Everybody know you wear Vans with Hawaiian shirts, dude.

Birks are more comfortable for my German-style feet. If it's closed-toe shoes, it's either Asolo boots or vintage-style Pumas FTW.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:15:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Long-haired, guitar playing, VD-infested, wheat grass smoothie drinking, kum-ba-yah singing, pot smoking, hypocritical fucktard liberals.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:38:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I have long hair and wear Brikenstocks and hate to shave. I drink smoothies but don't like wheatgrass juice. Dont smoke pot or have VD.
 I do own my Cafe and Juice Bar and  a good living and pay my taxes. And I am a gun owning republican who loves rockmusic from the 60's, 70', and  80's.  
I also belive GOD and love my country
I spent 15 years working in the natural food business, so I have spent a great deal of time around hippies in places like San Franciso, Sant Fe, and  So Cal. You can't always judge people by what they look like. It is whatsin there hearts and minds that count. I personally don't care for what they belive, do or say. And the smell is very hard to deal with ( Dam you can be a hippie but at least take shower) Anyway it is a free country but I wish all the hippies would move to CA and New York and leave the rest of the country to the rest of us. WE CAN HOPE???????

"I HATE HIPPIES! I mean the way they alway talk about "protectin the earth" and then they drive around around in cars that get poor gas milage and wear those stupid bracelets - I hate 'em! I wanna kick'em in the nuts!  RE: (Eric Cartman of South Park)

Force-Recon
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:19:11 AM EDT
[#38]
What is a hippie?
A US enemy. They are lazy too.
A hippie hates responsiblility.
I have an older sister that is a 60's relic. I do not like speaking with her.
She married a professor from Spain. Piss on both of em
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:54:50 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hippies.

Don't hold back, now.
Tell us how you really feel, Mac.

Don't push him. Mac has issues with self-expression. Eventually, he'll open up on his own, if we just give him some space.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:03:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Hippies.

<copy> <paste> <save as..>

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:04:01 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Hippies.

Don't hold back, and tell us how you really feel

Actually, that's a pretty good description of what I think of hippies and hippy spawn
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Acts like Tarzan
Looks like Jane
Smells like Cheetah
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Hippies.

Excelent rant!!

Im saving that, describes 75% of the kids at my college perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#44]
my neighbors up the road, tie dye, long hair, hate "the man", everything is a conspiricy, and smoke pot like cigerettes since acid is to hard to get anymore?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
It's more like pot and guitar

You forgot Petchouli cologne, and the worship of all things cosmic...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:25:29 AM EDT
[#46]
I say man alot. Does that make me a hippie?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Hippies are proof that leftards screw sheep.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Wanna see something scary? hock.gif

Hippie Family hippie.gifhippie.gif

Anyone who dresses their kids like that should be arrested for child abuse! http://www.softgreenglow.com/mt/archives/ptsf_ammo.jpg
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Captianpooby Hippie?   No you would have to throw a hippie out of a plane!

Sounds like a cool game though,we could call it THRILL OR NO THRILL!

Bob
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:10:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top