Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2006 6:07:16 PM EDT
remove copper oxide?  I am working on a laptop that the bottom plate got wet and the heat sink (Cu) is no longer working properly due to copper oxide.  Also the Al cover is corroded as well (but I havent had Chem in so long I cant tell you what oxide that is) that also needs to be removed.

Amy suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Vinager
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Used to clean pennies by putting them in vinegar and then adding salt.  It creates a little hydrochloric acid.  I don't know if this will help you in this case, but......
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
warm (~110*F) 3% hydrogen peroxide  (can be sped up with the addition of sulferic acid)
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Corrosion is never uniform.  And the flatness of the heat transfer surfaces is hihgly dependent on the power than can bridge this junction.  Thermal pastes work best when at minimum thickness, any deviation degrades heat transfer.

As such, it would be best to machine the surface pair to minimize the gap.  You might get lucky by lapping the sufaces together with a very fine paste of ~1200 grit aluminum oxide, followed by a good cleaning and use of Artic Silver 5.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Go over all of the boards with a fine toothed comb, there is likely to be damage all over the place, probably unrepairable.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Tannerite.

And .50BMG
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Used to clean pennies by putting them in vinegar and then adding salt.  It creates a little hydrochloric acid.  I don't know if this will help you in this case, but......

I gotta lay off the pain killers . I thought that said penis's.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
CLR is some pretty potent stuff; I've used it to clean rust out of a sink before.  

That is NOT lime-away, which does NOT work...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top