Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2006 2:31:38 PM EDT
Went to Destin, Fl for a few days with some buddies (senior in college) and one day we stopped by Eglin AFB to get a little tour.

You arent supposed to take pictures there, so there arent too many from inside the base.  the rest are from the nearby airplane/ordinance museum.

this place is really cool:  they can make the temp. inside go from -65 to +165 to mimic temperatures around the world, it can also make sandstorms, etc.  pretty cool.

this is where the planes get a bath.  think of it as a manual car wash for bigger things.  f15 here.

f16, next to the above f15.  he wouldnt let us get out of the car here

i bet these put out some good stuff.

nothin too special here.  just looking across the runway and stuff at some hangers that now cover the planes that used to sit out.  couldnt get too close.

a bit blurry, but this one was getting ready to take off (total of 3).

we saw one fly over pretty fast at about 75-100 feet and then watched it go almost straight up into oblivion as he pulled the stick back.  first time i ever saw the 'white lines' coming off the wings on a real plane (havent been to an air show).        that was the coolest thing ever, i wish we could've gotten video of it.  i want a ride really badly.

Now for the Museum

SR-71 of course

again. (i'm on the right)

we picked my roommate up and put him in the back of the engine.  we almost got in trouble for this, but ya know.  the technology they had back in the 50s and 60s to make this is insane.  makes you wonder what is in secret hangers today.

B-52          - its too big to get all of it in one picture

closeup of it

Mig 21

F4-Phantom, i believe.  they had another one elsewhere that was silver.  cant imagine its anything else, unless there's some variation.

dont know what this one was, a starfighter maybe?  is this also vietnam era? i didnt really read the plaques, at this point we were anxious to get back to the beach.  for some reason we had more luck finding women there than by airplanes

MOAB.  kickass

specs for the MOAB

F-15 again

C-130 gunship.  i would not want to be below these guns.

or these.

A-10

this gun is so cool.  i wish they had one sitting out next to the plane so people realized how big it actually is.

and i guess for the real reason we came down there...

one of the public beaches.

here are some dolphins i spotted as we ate lunch in an oceanside restaurant.  had a real hard time getting a good picture, they surfaced very randomly and briefly, and the digital camera has an annoying delay.  you may be able to see a couple dorsal fins in the left center area of the pic.

lunch one day.  mmmmm.    and sorry, no pics of the finished product.

and i guess just for good measure, here's what a 5 or 6 million dollar beach front home looks like.  obviously most of the cost is geared towards its location.  dont worry, we didnt stay in anything looking like this.

here's another pic of it, its jus ton the edge of the public beach.  i guess in the summer they are out on the roof and have parties and grill up there.  lucky bastards.

one last pic of a house across teh street.  in case anyone here has a palm tree fetish.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Stayed in Destin on Spring Break 20 years ago...Cold each day except for the day we left..I'll go back some day..
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
that sucks.  it was 75-79 each day we were there this week.  that was plenty for us pale white boys from NE Ohio
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Dooooood, where all the womenz at???
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
That museum had a fair collection of small arms inside, if I remember right.  And a few more planes, including an F-105.   A decent place.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
that old airplane is an F-86 fyi

I was stationed at Hurlburt Field from 1985-87 I worked on the Gunships & HH53 Pavelow Helicopters
Befroe that I was a Crew Chief on F-15's in Alaska.

I lived on Eglin in NCO housing, nice area would love to go back to visit. Was nuts during spring break
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, I LOOOOOOVE Destin. I just might move there some day.

Going down there this Thursday, actually, for a cousin's wedding.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a home in Panama City, we were down this weekend also. The weather was great. We went to the beach Fri. afternoon, and got engaged at sunset. Sat. we took the boat out, and had a picnic in smack bayou, hit the beach for awhile, and came home Sat. night(B'ham). We are planning to go 2 out of 3 weekends throughout the summer. I plan to retire there in 5 years, if all goes well. Eglin is on our list to do, along with PNAS, I heard they have an awesome meusem. I also want to see the Blue Angels show over Pensecola Bay. Looks like you guys had a great time. Next time you go, hit the bar Howl at the Moon, they have a show that is funny as hell, and the place is covered with wall to wall women. Also, on your way home, Ft. Rucker in south AL. has a great helo meusem, and other Army aviation stuff,  if you come up highway 231, or 331, you won't have to go to far out of the way to get there, it is between Daleville, and Ozark. Thanks for the pics............Treeman
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The plane in question is an F-86 Sabre. Served with distinction in the Korean War
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Screw the MOAB. For half the weight we can drop one of these.

B-41
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Lucky bastards!!  I was born in Ft Walton Beach, lived in Shalimar on the bayou (waterfront) until I was three, then got moved to Aberdeen, Md. for the rest of my life.  I haven't been back since 1971.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Lucky bastards!!  I was born in Ft Walton Beach, lived in Shalimar on the bayou (waterfront) until I was three, then got moved to Aberdeen, Md. for the rest of my life.  I haven't been back since 1971.

Sad story
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sad story

Oh I've had a great life. I just know it would have been better if we'd stayed.  Much better!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Washing a F-15 is not fun, and the lube you have to do after washing one suck even more.   I've had to do it a few times.

Here's a shot of a F-22 inside of the climatic lab.  After hearing about the trip to the climatic lab from the guys that went to Eglin for the F-22 climatic testing, I'm glad I didn't go on that TDY.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Nevermind the MiG, we need more pics of that Stratojet in the background!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#16]
no love for hurlburt??
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh....I have the best commute in the world.

Pensacola to Panama City along Hwy 98,  2-3 times a week...year round. Spring and summer are the best....

"The Parade of Punani"

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Oh....I have the best commute in the world.

Pensacola to Panama City along Hwy 98,  2-3 times a week...year round. Spring and summer are the best....

"The Parade of Punani"

I'll have to drive that sometime once I get to FL.  I'm currently in the process of PCS'ing to Tyndall.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/397018.jpg

Nevermind the MiG, we need more pics of that Stratojet in the background!!!!!

sorry, i didnt take pics of it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top