Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2006 7:30:23 AM EDT
I think the gas companies will drive them selves out of business. Why someone may ask. Well, If you give people a reason to switch to something cheaper they will.  I think the car companies are starting to pissed as well since sales of the hummer arn't going to be driven up by high gas prices.

I would like a hummer that runs on hydrogen. Hope GM is listening.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#1]
So people are going back to the horse and buggy?

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think the gas companies will drive them selves out of business. Why someone may ask. Well, If you give people a reason to switch to something cheaper they will.  I think the car companies are starting to pissed as well since sales of the hummer arn't going to be driven up by high gas prices.

[southpark] Goood foooor yoooooouuuu![/southpark]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#3]
the "hydrogen economy" is a pipe dream and generally a poor idea.

a MUCH more efficient, cheaper, and faster/easier to implement idea would be an "electric" economy, with electric cars and nuclear plants generating the extra electricity we'd need.

whats the point of using electricity to make hydrogen, and then using the hydrogen to fuel cars?  it's much more efficient to just use the electricity to power cars directly.  the technology is already here, and the distribution system would be much easier to implement.  today's electric cars aren't the tiny, slow vehicles that were talked about 10 years ago - advanced in battery technology have allowed us to build vehicles which are quite fast and large enough for a family.  you don't hear about it much in the media these days though - all they talk about is the "hydrogen economy" nonsense.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#4]

I have a thought.

Next time, let it go.  

(Thanks, RW.)
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I have a thought.

Next time, let it go.  

(Thanks, RW.)

What he said.........
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have a thought.

Next time, let it go.  

(Thanks, RW.)

I was thinking that as I wrote it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a thought.

Next time, let it go.  

(Thanks, RW.)

I was thinking that as I wrote it.

Just down the row of buttons is the "Cancel" button.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#8]
up 20 cents a gallon here last week
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the "hydrogen economy" is a pipe dream and generally a poor idea.

a MUCH more efficient, cheaper, and faster/easier to implement idea would be an "electric" economy, with electric cars and nuclear plants generating the extra electricity we'd need.

whats the point of using electricity to make hydrogen, and then using the hydrogen to fuel cars?  it's much more efficient to just use the electricity to power cars directly.  the technology is already here, and the distribution system would be much easier to implement.  today's electric cars aren't the tiny, slow vehicles that were talked about 10 years ago - advanced in battery technology have allowed us to build vehicles which are quite fast and large enough for a family.  you don't hear about it much in the media these days though - all they talk about is the "hydrogen economy" nonsense.

The same reason electric cars didn't catch on 100 years ago, or in the 1970's - energy density.

An electric auto with 20 or 30 miles range is damn near useless, for most US drivers.  

I don't know what the minimum acceptable range might be, but the market does.  My opinion is that electric cars with ranges similar to gasoline autos would be great, but shorter range would be acceptable for some applications.  I think that range is about 70 miles on the low end, to 100 miles on the upper end for daily commuters and maybe local delivery vehicles.  For cross country driving un recharged, the range probably needs to be 450 to 500 miles minimum, and I think that will be difficult to achieve.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I have a thought.

Next time, let it go.  

(Thanks, RW.)

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Where is 'peak_oil' when you need him?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

He is up my ass getting some gas.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is up my ass getting some gas.

Silly troll.

Go away.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:53:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'd prefer this.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#15]
NutOfGuns

Posts Per Day ::

Last Login Date ::
4/16/2006 7:31:26 AM PDT

Last Post Date ::
4/16/2006 8:51:24 AM PDT

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd prefer this.

www.thegreenhead.com/technology/images/landwalker_5.jpg

As long as it is powered by Mr. Fusion, I am all over that.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
]

The same reason electric cars didn't catch on 100 years ago, or in the 1970's - energy density.

An electric auto with 20 or 30 miles range is damn near useless, for most US drivers.  

I don't know what the minimum acceptable range might be, but the market does.  My opinion is that electric cars with ranges similar to gasoline autos would be great, but shorter range would be acceptable for some applications.  I think that range is about 70 miles on the low end, to 100 miles on the upper end for daily commuters and maybe local delivery vehicles.  For cross country driving un recharged, the range probably needs to be 450 to 500 miles minimum, and I think that will be difficult to achieve.

here is some info you may find interesting

right now, the maximum range of the newest prototypes is pushing 300 miles.

if you needed to extend the range and wouldn't be able to recharge (say you were driving through the backcountry), you could use something like ,this which is basically a small gasoline generator which is towed behind the vehicle to provide additional electric power.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd prefer this.

www.thegreenhead.com/technology/images/landwalker_5.jpg

As long as it is powered by Mr. Fusion, I am all over that.  

If I'm not mistaken, it's got some sort of fuel cell or runs on hydrogen.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I realize you haven't studied business in junior high yet but since the petroleum companies own 95% of all the alternate fuel patents I don't think they are in any danger of going out of business.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
NutOfGuns

Im shooting for 87 a day.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NutOfGuns

Good luck on that.

Why don't you go outside and play? Spring break will be over soon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#22]

NutOfGuns

Getting closer.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
NutOfGuns

Getting closer.

I wont do it It seems to treat people who post like shit. So....
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NutOfGuns

Getting closer.

What seems to treat people who post like shit?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NutOfGuns

Getting closer.

Huh?

You've been here 2 days, started a few silly threads, and really don't make much sense.

You're just lucky G_T is in a good mood today, or he'd have slapped you around like a prison bitch.

eta: I FINALLY found a way to use "prison bitch" in a sentence!! Go me!

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
NutOfGuns

Good luck on that.

Why don't you go outside and play? Spring break will be over soon.

Raging acne attack and the town elders won't let him outside, lest he frighten the smaller children???
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#27]
IBN_T.

He must be asleep.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
NutOfGuns

Getting closer.

Huh?

You've been here 2 days, started a few silly threads, and really don't make much sense.

You're just lucky G_T is in a good mood today, or he'd have slapped you around like a prison bitch.

eta: I FINALLY found a way to use "prison bitch" in a sentence!! Go me!

[tinfoil] Are you stalking me?[/tinfoil]

I'm flattered! Unless of course you're just hanging out for the eventual savagery....
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#29]
double tap...
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

[tinfoil] Are you stalking me?[/tinfoil]

I'm flattered! Unless of course you're just hanging out for the eventual savagery....

Waiting....

Oh, btw:  I already have a stalkee. Sorry, but you'll have to get in line behind Wolfpack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top