Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2006 12:35:56 AM EDT
My Safe is reading a humidity of 44%. That's almost the same humidity as in the room it's in. I've got an 18" golden rod, lined the door-frame with weatherstripping, duct-taped two small holes in the back shut and threw a bunch of those little silica packets...What's wrong still?
I'm not sure how my door looks like on the inside, but I imagine it allows for at least some circulation.

It's a Sentry 14 gun safe measuring roughly about 5'x2'x'2 and is NOT fire-resistant (obviously)

Thanks!

ETA: Also I keep two handgun cases in there. Do the egg-shell foam and sytro-foam inserts retain humidity by any chance?

Shameless BOTD link for Team Members to get more results (should be CoC complaint as it's in the Team Member section)
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:19:37 AM EDT
[#1]
If it gets any lower you will ruin the wood stocks, etc.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

so that's a good level for it to be at?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so that's a good level for it to be at?

i wouldnt be too worried about it.  you should have some oil on the metal anyway, so corrosion shouldnt be a major issue.  hell, a buddy of mine is an FFL and lives on the beach in Ft. Pierce FL.  his house got literally FILLED with sand and salt water (4-5 FEET of sand inside the house) and his safes were all full of salt water and sand too.  it was the better part of a month before he could get to them.  even the non-parked guns did fine, including M14's (the full auto kind), some shotguns, and of course AK's and M16's.  a little humidity shouldnt be a major cause for concern with proper maintence and upkeep
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#4]
So long as they have oil on them you are fine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I always figured 40-50 was the right range for guns.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't lower it any more. You will dry out the wood.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Goldenrods, IIRC, do not lower humidity. The silica gel packs will do that, however, they will saturate and need to be "recharged". I bought a dehumidifier very recently (one of those Remington ones which has a window to let you know when it needs to be "recharged"), but it seems it is only mental masturbation.

Why, you ask?

'Cause for the last 10 years my safe has had nothing but weapons inside it, and it sits in my garage. The humidity has been so high in there that the outside of the safe has had condensation thick enough to write your name. Yet, not one rifle has had any ill effects from the moisture in the air.

Not one. Blued, parkerized or anodized. Not one.

Why, you ask?

Oil. Good, old fashioned (quality) oil. And periodic no-nonsense care. Some look beat to hell and back, but not one has an ounce of corrosion, and especially not in the bores.

KISS, my man, KISS. Besides, taking out one of the girls for a wipe down is just good medicine for the soul, and lets her know you still care...
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I do A/C work and the jobs where we have computor rooms we keep them at 45% humidity because of all the electronics-and that's considered low.You have nothing to worry about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top