Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/15/2006 11:53:18 PM EDT
I was talking about cars the other days, saying how good Toyota and some of the other Jap cars are.

I was told I was using a slur.

I say it's an abbreviation.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a racial slur, but Asians aren't a protected species, so it's OK.

Same thing with saying Injun or midget. Equally offensive to midgets and Injuns as the words nigger and kike are to blacks and Jews, but the latter are the protected species so the drum beating freedom-riding types only snivel and cry when you offend those who they have been programmed to protect.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:06:11 AM EDT
[#2]
i dunno, have they started their own NAACP yet?

just a joke, nobody take it personal please.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#3]
IBTL
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#4]
What about this yellow bastard?

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Be careful now, you might get banned for saying such things.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not trying to offend anyone.

I really don't see a problem with the abbreviation.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Jap is a kind word compared to what my Grandpa called them.  He fought them and despised them all.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#8]
in before the tag.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It is a racial slur, but Asians aren't a protected species, so it's OK.

Same thing with saying Injun or midget. Equally offensive to midgets and Injuns as the words nigger and kike are to blacks and Jews, but the latter are the protected species so the drum beating freedom-riding types only snivel and cry when you offend those who they have been programmed to protect.

This is true.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I think it's a racial slur and people choose not to use it. Since I have a few japanese friends, I think of it as courtesy on my part to avoid abbreviating "japanese". It's just two syllables more.

About those who think it's OK we use this word... WW2 was 50 years ago. We kicked their fucking ass, and now they are our best buddies in the Asia. The US Navy already convinced them to drop their war mongering ways and make Playstations at the Battle of Midway okay? Time to update your prejudice, it's the Islamic terrorists that we hate these days mmmkay?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#11]
It is used as a slur here in SoCal. I have had Korean and Chinese friends called Japs or F'n Jap.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#12]
My type 99 rifle doesn't make a sound when I call it a Jap rifle. Although it does make a LOUD noise when I touch a special spot.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:11:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I've always thought "Jap" was just an abbreviation of "Japanese" too when used in that context, and not necessarily a slur.
Much like another word- "Nip"....an abbreviation of "Nippon" (Japanese nomenclature).

I thought "JAP" was only a slur when used to describe "Jewish American Princess".

Note: terminology used above was used only for the sake of discussion, and determination of COC rulings. No offenses were made on any persons living or dead, etc, etc.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:12:50 AM EDT
[#14]
calling a jap, a jap isn't like calling one vietnamese, that will get your ass dead real quick
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Def not a racial slur.

Jap is short for Japanese. Doesnt have any bad meaning to it like the other racial slurs
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
calling a jap, a jap isn't like calling one vietnamese, that will get your ass dead real quick

True considering the Japanese despise Vietnamese, Koreans, Chinese, etc.   It should be noted, they all don't like each other anyways, long before WWII also.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Abbreviation.  They take it as a slur, but how do you think it was thought up.......?  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#18]
No.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:38:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It is used as a slur here in SoCal. I have had Korean and Chinese friends called Japs or F'n Jap.

Which is,when you think about it, about the worst thing you could call a Korean or Chinese person.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:42:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is,when you think about it, about the worst thing you could call a Korean or Chinese person.....

You know...

The asians where I live, are are some of the most racist people I know. They seem to all hate each other. They have their own caste systom, and they seem to get it. I sure don't.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
in before the tag.

IBTT x2

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:47:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Hell, Tiger Woods just had to apologize for using "Spaz" to describe his bad putting.  I've used Spaz before but never thought there was an real medical condition of spaz.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:55:09 AM EDT
[#23]
When President Roosevelt used the tern “JAP” it was a pejorative term. When GEN McArthur used the term “Yellow Peril” it was pejorative. Nowadays the president uses the term “Religion of Peace”. How times have changed where we use PC BS because we do not have the courage to call a spade a spade.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:02:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
When President Roosevelt used the tern “JAP” it was a pejorative term. When GEN McArthur used the term “Yellow Peril” it was pejorative. Nowadays the president uses the term “Religion of Peace”. How times have changed where we use PC BS because we do not have the courage to call a spade a spade.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:20:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:27:56 AM EDT
[#26]
It's like calling an American a Yankee, a German a hun. To many people a touchy on the emotions if they think it is racial.

Now I don't like racisits and don't use racial slurs but if you said Gook or slope then I would say that is a racial slur. But hey that is just my .02.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:31:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It's like calling an American a Yankee, a German a hun. To many people a touchy on the emotions if they think it is racial.

Now I don't like racisits and don't use racial slurs but if you said Gook or slope then I would say that is a racial slur. But hey that is just my .02.

+1, I view it like the brits calling us Yanks. Just a nickname, nothing more.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:54:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Its a slur that dates at least back to WW2.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Sorry, it just has to be posted...

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:05:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, but its the good kind, the same way my grandkids will be calling arabs "rags" in 50 years.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:12:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:20:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I think if it's intended as a slur, it's a slur.  Context and intent give it meaning.  

In my opinion, it depends on how you intend it and at whom it is directed.   If you don't care about offending someone, then say what you like, around whomever you like.  If you are concerned that it might be a slur, you probably ought to choose another word, or only use it around people you know.  

Seems like common courtesy to me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:22:30 AM EDT
[#33]
So what about Brit?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:23:11 AM EDT
[#34]
It may be a slur, but it is not a RACIAL slur as Japanese isn't a race, it's a nationality and, to a lesser extent, an ethnicity.  If you called them a "slope" that would be a racial slur.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:35:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Last semester I took a college class were we studied some of the films produced during World War II. At one point, one of the girls in class mentioned that she was offended that the refered to the Japanese as "japs", so apparently it is a racial slur to some.

On the other hand, I'm one of those rude, arrogant bastards that wanted to go to the National Air and Space Museum in DC, and invite the Japanese tourists to take a look at the Enola Gay exhibit with a line like "Don't forget to take a look at this! We've got an exhibit about how we kicked your asses". For some reason, that was the only part of the while museum the Japanese tourists always skiped (except for a few men who would stick their heads in the door and then leave).

In summary, I don't have a problem with the phrase "Jap", but I'm rude and some of my more liberal classmates find it offensive.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:37:35 AM EDT
[#36]
It simply amazes me that we've gotten to the point that words, words themselves, can be considered "good" or "bad" without any consideration of context or intent.

Totally fucked if you ask me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:40:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Nope - Jap is only short for Japanese.  You can say it in a derogatory way, but "Jap" in and of itself is not a slur.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:40:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:42:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Yes it's a slur, no it's not simply an abbreviation.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

Actually, Aimless, the definition you posted somewhat disagrees with your statement.  It says that Americans consider it a slur, but the Japanese don't.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:44:21 AM EDT
[#41]
unless you're trying to offend Japanese people, I wouldn't use it/
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:47:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:50:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:52:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It simply amazes me where we've gotten to the point that words, words themselves, can be considered "good" or "bad" without any consideration of context or intent.

Totally fucked if you ask me.

I think people say this when the word in question does not offend THEM. If someone walked up to you in a bar and called you a cocksucker I bet you wouldn't think "Hey it's just a word!"

Just as I would expect a Japanese person, or any person of Asian decent to be offended were I to call them a "Jap." Context, intent. Were someone to walk up in a bar and call me a cocksucker, yes, I would be offended. On the other hand, if I'm on a jobsite and someone calls a malfunctioning piece of equipment a "fuckin' cocksucker!" I'm not gonna be offended. Hell, cocksucker can even be used as a term of endearment (if your girlfreind is warped enough ).
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:53:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Start referring to japanese people as "Japs" at work and see what happens.

I ws at work when I was talking about Jap cars.  

If it doesn't offend the Japanese, why should I care this it offends Americans who are not Japanese?

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:56:21 AM EDT
[#46]

IMHO

Its a mild slur and probably gets it connotation from the WWII years when we said things like "Damn Japs" and then again in the 70s when they began their take over of the US car market.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:59:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:00:27 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes it's a slur, no it's not simply an abbreviation.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

Actually, Aimless, the definition you posted somewhat disagrees with your statement.  It says that Americans consider it a slur, but the Japanese don't.

As I have never been to Japan, I cannot comment on it's meaning there-here it is an obvious disparaging remark. Start referring to japanese people as "Japs" at work and see what happens.

I have to admit that Wikipedia isn't the greatest source in the world.

From experience, the Japanese who understand English well enough would be offended by it.
The person who used it wouldn't be shouted at or something because tolerance/politeness is in their nature/culture.

A good example is the movie "Brother"
The Japanese yakuza and an American gang are having a meeting.
The gangsters assume that the yakuzas can't understand English and swear about the yakuzas.
The yakuza boss pulls out a hand gun, bang bang bang!
"ファッキングジャップぐらい分かるよ、バカ野郎!"
(I understand what fuckin' Jap means, you idiots )
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#50]
In the South... no. Up north, I'd imagine a hate crime
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top