Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2006 8:39:42 PM EDT
So, I'm thinking about putting on a pig roast but I don't know exactly what is involved.  I want to keep it under 700-800 if possible.  I know it's going to be a lot of work, but it's a celebration and I want it to be a memorable event.  I wanted someone to do all the work for me, but to have such a thing catored it is looking like at least $1500.00.  Seems pig roasts aren't a common thing in the Southwest.    
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#1]
www.deltablues.net/roast.html

Check that out.

I will look for something else...

Here is the one I was looking for

Its a "Cochon de Lait"
Its how they cook'em down here in Louisiana...

generalhorticulture.tamu.edu/prof/Recipes/Cochon/cochon.html

^^^^^^

Try that one.. its GOOD!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Seems pig roasts aren't a common thing in the Southeast.    

Huh?  We call 'em hawg roasts.

$700 - $800 will buy a lot of pig and a lot of beer.  I'm gettin all tingley just thinking about it.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
www.deltablues.net/roast.html

Check that out.

I will look for something else...

Here is the one I was looking for

Its a "Cochon de Lait"
Its how they cook'em down here in Louisiana...

generalhorticulture.tamu.edu/prof/Recipes/Cochon/cochon.html

^^^^^^

Try that one.. its GOOD!!

Thanks, I will check them out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Seems pig roasts aren't a common thing in the Southeast.    

Huh?  We call 'em hawg roasts.

$700 - $800 will buy a lot of pig and a lot of beer.  I'm gettin all tingley just thinking about it.  

Oop's, typo.  Meant Southwest.  Everyone I ask about them, I am meant with, "We eat beef out here."  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Going to a roast in a couple weeks....they'll have chickens in the cavity while cooking, supposed to be good shite.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:44:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I've done it and you're right:  It is a lot of work.

Got the full pig from local butcher 106 lbs of him.  Rented a horizontal smoke from the Redstone Arsenal MWR.  Started smoking him around 10 PM at night, stayed up all night with it.  I used red and white oak, well seasoned, that was put into 5 gallon buckets with water to make the smoke.  Used a temp gauge to keep it in the smoking temp range vs. cooking vs. too cool.

I used a dry rub from Texas BBQ (Texasbbq.com) pretty good stuff.  And no, I didn't drink any beer until the next day, there's no way I could have stayed up all night.

I also smoked beef BBQ ribs (Fred Flintstone ribs) and chicken.  Had about 35 people over the next day, ate like a bunch of pigs we did.

Got pics, I should store them somewhere so you can see them, let me work on that.  Got questions, postem up!

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:07:46 AM EDT
[#7]
BBQ mmmmmmm
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've done it and you're right:  It is a lot of work.

Got the full pig from local butcher 106 lbs of him.  Rented a horizontal smoke from the Redstone Arsenal MWR.  Started smoking him around 10 PM at night, stayed up all night with it.  I used red and white oak, well seasoned, that was put into 5 gallon buckets with water to make the smoke.  Used a temp gauge to keep it in the smoking temp range vs. cooking vs. too cool.

I used a dry rub from Texas BBQ (Texasbbq.com) pretty good stuff.  And no, I didn't drink any beer until the next day, there's no way I could have stayed up all night.

I also smoked beef BBQ ribs (Fred Flintstone ribs) and chicken.  Had about 35 people over the next day, ate like a bunch of pigs we did.

Got pics, I should store them somewhere so you can see them, let me work on that.  Got questions, postem up!

Good luck.

Merlin

A 106 lb pig only fed 35 people?!  Shit man, that's not going to work.  Did you have any any of it left over?  How much was the pig?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#9]
this dudes got some great tips and recipies
www.bbqu.net/
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Another option would be, Check around your local communities. I you have any Polyniesians (sp) in the area (Tongan, Samoans or Hawaiians) they are the experts... they will help you at a very low price, they call it an UMU (EEWWW-MUUUU) I have one for my son every other year. Check out the link below:

UMU Link
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Underground, Hawaiian style is the best.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I think you are supposed to go up to the podium one at a time and insult the officer in a humorous way.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top