Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2006 7:52:03 PM EDT
I had a gunsmith make & permanently attach a fake suppressor to my vector pistol but its still in the white. Whats the best product to use to make it have a flat black finish? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Cerakote...
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Well there is a product called aluminum black made by Birchwood Casey.  I personally don’t like it.  I only used it once on some AK parts, I kind of figured it would work like blue, so I put some in a cup and through the parts in.  It started to smoke after about a minute and completely melted (more like fried) the parts.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well there is a product called aluminum black made by Birchwood Casey.  I personally don’t like it.  I only used it once on some AK parts, I kind of figured it would work like blue, so I put some in a cup and through the parts in.  It started to smoke after about a minute and completely melted (more like fried) the parts.

Did the instructions say “submerge part in Alumablack for X number of minutes.”

I’ve had decent luck with Alumablack on small parts, larger areas can result in streaking. In the case of a fake can I would look at one of the spray-on/bake finishes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did the instructions say “submerge part in Alumablack for X number of minutes.”

I’ve had decent luck with Alumablack on small parts, larger areas can result in streaking. In the case of a fake can I would look at one of the spray-on/bake finishes.

I just tried alumablack (or whatever it's called) for the first time yesterday - after some WECSOG dremel work on the feed ramps of one of my ARs - and it seemed to work okay, but I wasn't blown away or anything.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just tried alumablack (or whatever it's called) for the first time yesterday - after some WECSOG dremel work on the feed ramps of one of my ARs - and it seemed to work okay, but I wasn't blown away or anything.

I found if you degrease the part first with brake cleaner you will obtain much better results. Any bit of oil at all in the pores of the metal and your screwed. Multiple applications provide darker shades. I used Alumablack on my CCH BUIS and practically matched the factory anodizing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I found if you degrease the part first with brake cleaner you will obtain much better results. Any bit of oil at all in the pores of the metal and your screwed. Multiple applications provide darker shades. I used Alumablack on my CCH BUIS and practically matched the factory anodizing.

Thanks!!  I'll try that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top