Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2001 10:29:23 AM EDT
I would like to know if there is a place out there you can get your mags coated? Also about how much does it cost? Will they do any mags or only AR-15? Last what is the benefit of having this done to your mags?

I was thinking of having my FAL mags done if the price is good. Tell me what you think thank for the help.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The best and least expensive way is to do it yourself. I have done AR and Fal mags with both Moly Teflon and spray on bake on epoxy finish from Brownells. www.brownells.com I have found the epoxy finish to be more durable than the Teflon. All you have to do is disassemble the mag, de-grease it. I do this by washing it in the sink with warm water and Dawn or Liquid Joy dishwashing detergent. Dry them, then spray on the finish. You then bake it on at 300f for 30 minutes. The Moly coat only comes in black I belive. The epoxy finish comes in a number of colors including black and a dark gray that is close to the original color. I fixed up a coat hanger so it will hold several mags at once so I can bake them without touching the rack in the wifes oven. The finish looks great, and is very durable. A can is about $17 and does a shitload of mags. Shake it up really well, then shake some more. If you get a run, let it dry and take it off with steel wool and re-do it. Once baked on it's really tough to take off. Good time to replace the followers with green ones also.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.brownells.com [/url]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Walter Birdsong.  Black T treatment.

601-939-7448
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I did them inside and out. I drove a rod into a handy oak tree, I slide the magazine body onto the rod, and spray away. Don't get too close, make even, overlapping passes with the finish. Shake often and apply a thin coat to the interior. I do not do the springs and of course not the followers. The floorplates are laid out on some cardboard and sprayed. All are allowed to air dry. I look them over for runs or missed spots in the finish. If they are OK, I put them on a coat hanger I rigged up and bake away. The finish looks good, is durable, is not a real chore to do, and is for damn sure cheaper than sending it off. If you are really into it, you can get an air brush and spray GunKote on. Brownells sells it also. You can get bigger cans of the epoxy finish and use an air brush as well to camo finish or whatever.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
ROBAR np3
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:05:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the help I'm going to try all this and see what works out best.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:14:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Mac's

[url]http://www.shootiniron.com/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top