Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2006 7:23:03 PM EDT
That will be the next phase of bringing the ole girl back up to factory specs.  Actually, I simply want to replace the camshaft, but the cylinder bolts have to come out to replace the cam which would take the compression off the head gasket, which would (in theory) lead to problems shortly down the road.  

Any last minute tips one can offer before I get up to my elbows in this one?  Thanks.

vmax84

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]
no but if your going to pull the head to do the gasket you should really drop the heads off somewhere and have a valve job done.

also the 22re engine is really happy with a little cam from trd
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
from yotatech, I saw teh elec. pics.
looking good
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#3]
This whole project is going so much slower than I first anticipated.  Sometimes I curse owing my own house and property, where there's always so much work to do.  And then having to take care of Mom and Mom-In-Laws places (or I should say, I help them out a lot), so, my free time is limited.

But all in all, things are going well with the 4runner, and more importantly, the Mom's.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]
How many miles? Not too much more effort to do the timing chain/gears and oil pump. Newer timing sets have metal guides (not plastic).  It was easy on my 87, at least.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How many miles? Not too much more effort to do the timing chain/gears and oil pump. Newer timing sets have metal guides (not plastic).  It was easy on my 87, at least.

175,000 miles.  And I would assume (love that word.......gets me into lots of trouble!!) the timing chain and oil pump have never been touched.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This whole project is going so much slower than I first anticipated.  

What project doesn't???????????????      
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Is that the motor that had the head gasket recall?  If so Toyota will replace it for the life of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is that the motor that had the head gasket recall?  If so Toyota will replace it for the life of the vehicle.

I think that was for the V-6 3.0 liter engine.  Mine is the 4 cylinder 22re 1989 engine.

vmax84
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not familiar with that motor but it is usually standard practice to replace the lifters and pushrods along with the new camshaft. Agree it might be a good time to go ahead and have the head redone as well. All those moving parts develop a "memory" with one another so many consider it an all or nothing job when replacing those parts.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top