Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2006 9:24:05 AM EDT

www.smh.com.au/news/National/Cheerleaders-banned-from-baring-midriffs/2006/04/15/1144521550516.html

Cheerleaders banned from baring midriffs

April 15, 2006 - 11:44PM

Cheerleaders have been banned from baring their midriffs, with their governing body fearing it might be encouraging anorexia.

Gymnastics Australia has given cheerleader troupes until the end of the year to find new uniforms, saying current revealing costumes make other teenagers feel uncomfortable about their weight.

The move has angered cheerleading squads who believe the move is against the wishes of crowds who attend sporting events, News Limited papers report.

National cheerleading program manager Nerine Cooper has defended the move saying the girls often appeared in front of a large number of families.

"We don't want girls to feel under pressure to lose weight because of uniforms," she told News Limited.

But the head of Sydney Promotional Dancers, Lisa Ince, said the cover-up was unfair.

"It's ridiculous really, if the thinking is that a midriff is offensive, then every dance school and athletics club would face the same restrictions," Ms Ince said.

The ban is already in place in the United States and will effect about 105 teams registered with Gymnastics Australia.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#1]
You would think fat people would have at thicker skin, with their thick mid sections.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
being a fat ass myself...

seriously... this is just bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I was in a store a few weeks ago and saw a girl who should have been uncomfortable about bearing her midriff- unfortunately she must have thought otherwas wanted to see her stomach rolls.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Didn't the taliban start out with something like this?

They'll have us all in burkas before it's over.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Dammit, some people NEED to feel "uncomfortable".  Even Oprah tries to stay in shape while preaching "you should be OK with who you are or what you look like".  What about being challenged to do better?  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#6]
hnere in texas we regulate the move that the cheer leaders are allowed to do theres is even a state law covering it

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was in a store a few weeks ago and saw a girl who should have been uncomfortable about bearing her midriff- unfortunately she must have thought otherwas wanted to see her stomach rolls.

no doubt....I see this crap all of the time.

pack it up honey, nobody wants to see that mess.

oh, and that cum target on your back......lose the hip huggers fatty bo batty.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dammit, some people NEED to feel "uncomfortable".  Even Oprah tries to stay in shape while preaching "you should be OK with who you are or what you look like".  What about being challenged to do better?  

+1

It's called "motivation", something that is damn near forgotten in this instant gratification and "everything that offends ME must be banned" society we've devolved into.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#9]
the fat people should be banned from going out in public because it is a national embarrassment.

Intelligent people should be banned because it makes stupid idiots feel inferior...

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#10]
We always had at least one overweight cheerleader.  Pretty much kept the bare middrift thing from ever happening at our school :(
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#11]
cheering has definately progressed since my high school days.,

cheery cheerleaders
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#12]
They deserve work credit for that routine
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They deserve work credit for that routine

+1
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

cheery cheerleaders

I like how they wear knee pads now.............no carpet burns
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

cheery cheerleaders

All that was missing was the stripper pole....
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Strippers in training
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

cheery cheerleaders

Was there a point in time when they actually cheered?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I dunno - if this is a bad thing. At least at the high school level. I swear - cheerleaders look my like strippers every day.

" believe the move is against the wishes of crowds who attend sporting events,"

Shit - im sure the crowd would love it if they were in bikinis and mud wrestling. Lets not cater to the crowd - lets do what is right.

I think they are making 16 yr olds look to fuckin hot for my cup of tea. I know there is a fine line at that age, as a girl becomes a woman - but I think we should excise some caution.

College level or something should be ok.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Personally, I like the bare midriffs on cheerleaders.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I think that the term 'belly shirt' is lost on alot of women.  They dont understand that you arent supposed to wear the shirt if you have a belly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#25]
My God!  Would you want your daughters doing a routine like that?  Strippers in training.   Stick to the cheering please!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I see ghetto girls all the time wearing clothes that might look okay on them if they were 50-100 lbs lighter.  Just ride public transit and you will see these sites.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I like cheerleaders (of legal age).
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Strippers in training

True.

Let's have them simulate fucking the football team to get the crowd really cheering.

Yayyyyyy!

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#29]
So phyical fitness role models should be banned?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My God!  Would you want your daughters doing a routine like that?  Strippers in training.   Stick to the cheering please!

What they are doing in that video would get me more into the game than cheering would.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
So phyical fitness role models should be banned?

recognizing accomplishments only serves to humiliate those less able or willing.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What they are doing in that video would get me more into the game than cheering would.

Encouraging adolescents to simulate stripping is called "whoremongering".

Bravo.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#33]
If parents dont want them to be in the cheerleading because it is so visually offensive, then dont join the squad. People like that are dragging down the planet.

"I dont want to so no one else can". Just because you think you are right doesnt MAKE you right. If you are so uncomfortable with people then maybe there is more of a problem here then what they are wearing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If parents dont want them to be in the cheerleading because it is so visually offensive, then dont join the squad. People like that are dragging down the planet.

"I dont want to so no one else can". Just because you think you are right doesnt MAKE you right. If you are so uncomfortable with people then maybe there is more of a problem here then what they are wearing.

I want children simulating fucking each other during the halftime show.

If you don't like it - leave.

If *I* want them doing it - let them.
If *YOU* don't want them doing it - too bad.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Call me a backwards-ass ignorant Neanderthal facist, but I still feel a slight unease when around women who bare themselves in that way. Blame it on years of brainwashing or whatever you like, but I like pretty girls who know how to dress "decently", to use that oh-so-vilified word. On a related note, I would like to quote my "ideal" (in terms of mere physicial looks, so don't call me lib-lover!) woman:

"I like to look nice, but I think that there's ways of doing it that are more tasteful than just wearing a bikini wherever you go." -Scarlett Johansson

ETA: Must have pictures!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Amen.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want children simulating fucking each other during the halftime show.

If you don't like it - leave.

If *I* want them doing it - let them.
If *YOU* don't want them doing it - too bad.

Why, how interesting. I never knew of your most particular sexual fantasies!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Am I the only one that hasn't thought of "Harrison Bergeron", by Kurt Vonnegut?

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do I send my dollar bill to?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#40]
So those people who have the self control not to eat every Twinkie on the table, and the discipline to maybe do a little physical activity should feel so bad about their bodies that they need to cover up what they may consider proof of their hard work.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#41]
+1

Quoted:

Unfortunately I'm seeing more and more of this,sad to say the least
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Cheerleaders have been banned from baring their midriffs, with their governing body fearing it might be encouraging anorexia.

Gymnastics Australia has given cheerleader troupes until the end of the year to find new uniforms, saying current revealing costumes make other teenagers feel uncomfortable about their weight.

[Sigh]

Oh well at least the Democrats are now repression things of a sexual nature in order to achieve cosmic balance with pro illegal Republicans.

Is it time to start shooting people yet?

No? Ok...just say when.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't necessarily think that having cheerleaders cover up a bit is a bad idea....but not because it might make fat girls feel uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I think that the term 'belly shirt' is lost on alot of women.  They dont understand that you arent supposed to wear the shirt if you have a belly.

....Well, if you have a belly that is bulbous and that pours over the top of your WAAAAAY too lowcut jeans, skip the belly shirt.

Being on a college campus all the time, I see very attractive girls wearing very little clothing. I find that disturbing, but in a Christian moral sense. They are beautiful, but they can do better than displaying themselves in such obvious ways.

I also see girls who really shouldn't be wearing the same clothing wearing the skimpy clothing. I find that disturbing in a natural human sense.

As my grandmother said: "If it aint pretty, don't put it on your front porch."

I am not talking about normal college girls here, as a normal female fat content is just fine by me. (Women are supposed to be softer and rounder......I don't find the sharp pointy ones attractive...)

But there is a wide seperation between normal healthy female body fat, and a chick looking like the michelin man is trying to escape from her halter top.

Gak.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Am I the only one that hasn't thought of "Harrison Bergeron", by Kurt Vonnegut?

Hey! There is nothing wrong with strapping weights to ballerinas!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Hmm, clothing causes anorexia. Guns cause crime. Flys cause garbage. Profiling causes racism. Fast Food causes obesity.

They libtards need to get their lies straight... I thought clothing caused rapes? Oh nope, forgot...that's the Conservative viewpoint. REGARDLESS, it's stupid cause it's again creating another "victim" in society that removes personal responsibilty.

No Expert
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I thought clothing caused rapes? Oh nope, forgot...that's the Conservative viewpoint.

That's absolute horse sh*t.

Name for me a single prominent conservative who believes that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Didn't the taliban start out with something like this?

They'll have us all in burkas before it's over.

No they didn't.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:30:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought clothing caused rapes? Oh nope, forgot...that's the Conservative viewpoint.

That's absolute horse sh*t.

Name for me a single prominent conservative who believes that.

Oh Geez... naming names again.  it's a common and misguided "viewpoint".  Just like anytime a woman is attacked who is dressed "slutty" she was "asking for it". Or the conservative viewpoint that every fetus is a child that has to be born, but you aren't gonna take care of it when the parent can't or won't.

Look around, it's like the tattoo issue. many of us here have no issues with tats and many of those without issues consider themselves to be conservative... but as a general viewpoint, confessed CONSERVATIVES have issues with tattoos more than their opposites. Can I name a so-called "prominent conservative with a dislike of tattoos"? No.

You said:

I don't necessarily think that having cheerleaders cover up a bit is a bad idea....but not because it might make fat girls feel uncomfortable.

Fine. At what level?  Middle school? High School? College? Pro sports?  

What level was the cheerleaders in the video?

I'll keep an eye out from now on, when you make a sweeping generalization of a group's viewpoint, I'll be sure I remember to ask you for a "prominent [insert name of group] who has expressed that viewpoint."

Thanks for playing.

No Expert
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:32:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Oh Geez... naming names again.  it's a common and misguided "viewpoint".  Just like anytime a woman is attacked who is dressed "slutty" she was "asking for it".

So you are just going to keep repeating the same nonsense over and over without any backup.

Gotcha.

Cripes.......This site never ceases to amaze me.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top