Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2006 8:51:34 AM EDT
But... but...but... I thought none of those confiscations ever took place?

New Orleans Will Begin Returning Seized Firearms Monday, Says SAF

4/14/2006 3:37:00 PM

To: National and State Desk

Contact: Alan Gottlieb of the Second Amendment Foundation, 425-454-7012; Web: http://www.saf.org

BELLEVUE, Wash., April 14 /U.S. Newswire/ -- More than seven months have passed since New Orleans residents were forcibly and illegally disarmed in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, and starting Monday, April 17, the City of New Orleans will be returning seized firearms to their rightful owners, thanks to legal action by the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) and National Rifle Association (NRA).

"We've learned from the police that starting Monday at 8 a.m., New Orleans gun owners can get their firearms back," noted SAF founder Alan Gottlieb. "The city had been denying for more than five months that these guns were in possession. Only when SAF and the NRA filed a motion to have Mayor Ray Nagin and Police Superintendent Warren Riley held in contempt of court did city officials miraculously discover that more than a thousand seized firearms were being stored."

Residents whose guns were taken should call the New Orleans Police at (504) 658-5503 or go in person to the Police Property and Evidence facility, at 400 North Jefferson Davis Parkway. Gun owners will have to provide proof of ownership, which could include a bill of sale, a description of the firearm including brand and model and the serial number or a notarized affidavit that describes the firearm. Citizens claiming their firearms will need proper identification, such as a driver's license. Before firearms are returned, New Orleans police will conduct a background check.

"Hopefully, this marks the beginning of the end to a legal battle that we've been waging since last fall," Gottlieb said. "Our victory in court should send a clear signal that no mayor or police chief can suspend the Constitution on a whim, or seize private property, including firearms, from private citizens without due process.

"Natural disasters may destroy great cities, but they do not destroy civil rights," Gottlieb observed. "Law-abiding citizens who are victims of nature must never again be victimized by governments that strip them of their only means of self-defense. America must never forget the lesson of New Orleans. Public officials better remember that if they ever try another arbitrary seizure of firearms from their law-abiding owners, SAF will be there to stop them."

The Second Amendment Foundation (http://www.saf.org) is the nation's oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 600,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control. SAF has previously funded successful firearms-related suits against the cities of Los Angeles; New Haven, CT; and San Francisco on behalf of American gun owners, a lawsuit against the cities suing gun makers & an amicus brief & fund for the Emerson case holding the Second Amendment as an individual right.

releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=64048
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Citizens claiming their firearms will need proper identification, such as a driver's license. Before firearms are returned, New Orleans police will conduct a background check.

Let's say they determine something bad in your background check.
Would there be any recourse due to "illegal search and seizure" ?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, it's probably safe. I'm sure the NOLA PD is done looting by now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#3]
i'll believe it when i see it
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+ eleventy billion
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yeah. And Rosie O'donnel is on a diet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+2

Remember, this is a city that told the Judge that they didn't take any guns in the first place.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#7]
How Fucking generous of them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll bet they don't even have half of the confiscated firearms. I think thats why there stalling.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I understand they're going to run background checks on the claimants.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'll bet they don't even have half of the confiscated firearms. I think thats why there stalling.

probably "lost" them, and coincidentially, LEO's "found" unclaimed guns littered throughout the city that they took home to remember the storm......

i hope the NRA stays on the case on this one and puts Nagin in jail and the wronged gun owners get a HUGE compensation for this, and at the same time we get a basis of case law to specifically defend our rights during an emergency
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I hear a lot of the firearms were lost in various boating accidents.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I hear a lot of the firearms were lost in various boating accidents.

They were.  I remember reading accounts from LEOs that often they were just stripping them and throwing them in the water.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I still want to see the @$$holes that tackled Patricia Konie and illegally seized her handgun in her home end up doing some jail time.

I can only hope, but it won't happen.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#14]

What kind of shape do you think those guns will be in ?  Probably rust buckets by now .
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Mayor Nagin and the whole lot of them should be tried for civil right violations.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#16]
It really shames me, being from Louisiana.  But I guess I am not surprised this happened, knowing how the pols are in New Orleans.

Buncha f*cking Communist traitors if you ask me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Citizens claiming their firearms will need proper identification, such as a driver's license. Before firearms are returned, New Orleans police will conduct a background check.

Let's say they determine something bad in your background check.
Would there be any recourse due to "illegal search and seizure" ?

If you're a prohibited person you might make a case to have it transferred to a dealer but I suspect they will declare the firearm contraband and dispose of it. If you're a convicted felon you would be pretty stupid in trying to get a firearm returned to you in the first place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top