Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2006 8:45:27 AM EDT
The spider thread from a few weeks ago got me thinking that I needed to do a little pest removal around the house. So off I go, spraying insecticide into every dark corner until I get to the hot water heater in the garage. There, tucked away beside my reloading bench, were two Black Widows, one male and one female!

At first I thought "Cool, I'll catch the female and keep her as a pet." Then my alcohol saturated brain began to realize that these spiders were in MY HOUSE! As I continue looking for a suitable container for the spider I started to get nervous about their chosen habitat.

I swept the female onto an old curtain rod, all the while keeping my insecticide at my side in case things got out of hand. I got the female into a large clear plastic container and popped the male with a mozambique trifecta of insecticide.

So I figure the garage is in need of a major cleaning to rid it of any other eight legged nuclear venom charged freaks. I clear out all of the clutter and fire up the leaf blower. I can't convey the creepy feeling I felt as small particles of debris flew up and tried to settle on me. I get done cleaning and hop in the truck to go to the store. On the way to the store the thought hits me that I keep the truck windows down while it is in the garage to let it air out.

I think I need to move and sell the truck.

Oh yeah, the house is only 6 months old.

Sorry for the lousy pics, I keep spending all my money on ammo.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Paging DrFri"D"ge
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#2]
you should pet it, they're friendly and enjoy human contact
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#3]
CALLING DR. FRIGE...CALLING DR. FRIGE...BW SPIDER EMERGENCY IN ER4!!!  

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Give me your mailing address and I'll leave it in your mailbox for you.

Edited to add: I'll need to keep my container though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Kill her...
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#7]
WD-40 and lighter works wonders on them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont understand the lunatics that keeps these things as pets instead of squishing them.  Remember that guy who captured a fertilized female, and posted pics of her creepy egg sac she weaved in her jar?

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Put pot of water on stove.  Heat to near boiling.  Place container in water (with some hole to vent pressure).  Enjoy a few moments of dancing spider.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#11]
One word, "exterminator".  When we moved into our current home we had all kinds of wildlife running around. With monthly visits from the exterminator I've never seen another seriously nasty bug.

I've got a friend that lives a few miles away from me, I go over to his house and in his overhead flourescent lights you can see scorpions running around on top of the frosted panels.  Last time I was there I counted 18 scorpions in his lights.  Both he and his wife have been stung numerous times.  I'd have called the exterminator as soon as number 2 showed up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I dont understand the lunatics that keeps these things as pets instead of squishing them.  Remember that guy who captured a fertilized female, and posted pics of her creepy egg sac she weaved in her jar?

they're fun to feed.  kinda like scorpions or agressive non venomous snakes.  pretty useless but they look cool and the carnage is outstanding entertainment
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You ought to see that thing on the science channel of the family that has thousands of them, and milks them for venom.   They even had the kids learning how to do it.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Remember Spidey?

I had a 20 something page post with pics and vids of egg sacs and carnage and then one day, Spidey just exploded!

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Paging DrFri"D"ge

He's at the range....

I think him and meateater are playing fire ants
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Cool! Now you can make your own scope reticles!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Paging DrFri"D"ge

He's at the range....

I think him and meateater are playing fire ants

Someone should IM him this thread asking for help with their dishwasher or something
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#20]
i think we may be de-sensitizing good old DrFrige to these things.  spiders just dont phase him anymore.... we need a new approach
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
i think we may be de-sensitizing good old DrFrige to these things.  spiders just dont phase him anymore.... we need a new approach

Instead of sending him DVDs and toy spiders in the mail, we should send him a live Tarantula.  I am sure that will make his day.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they're fun to feed.  kinda like scorpions or agressive non venomous snakes.  pretty useless but they look cool and the carnage is outstanding entertainment

Yeah, I've never seen one take its prey. Sounds like good entertainment.

I've got a buddy who kept a Eastern Diamondback Rattler for over a year. That thing was bad ass when it struck a rat.

I'd like a scorpion, but I won't pay for one and you're not likely to find one around here.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#23]
One day about fifteen years ago, my son and his two cousins somehow trapped about four scorpions and a nasty looking, BIG female widow.  We were living in Kali at the time and those bastards were everywhere.  Anyway...the boyz called me outside to show their cool catch in this 5-gal bucket.

The fight didn't take long IIRC.  Ma Spider was scorpion food pretty quick.  Nasty to watch...
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Paging DrFrige.....

Paging DrFrige..........
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#25]
remember that old thread with the spider vs lizard fight?

get a scorpion or praying mantis and have them fight.  make sure to put them in a clean jar so the spider can't use the webs to it's advantage.

or just kill it with fire.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

get a scorpion or praying mantis and have them fight.  make sure to put them in a clean jar so the spider can't use the webs to it's advantage.

Sunday Sunday Sunday!!!!

Spider Fight!

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Beautiful ......but will get stomped on in a heartbeat when I find one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#29]
We have them in CO also.  fwiw, they seem kind of booring as preditors.  Get a Preying Mantis, that is where the action is!

Do Black Widders commonly bite humans?  Are they as dangerous as a Brown Recluse?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Do Black Widders commonly bite humans?  Are they as dangerous as a Brown Recluse?

much like a recluse, they'd rather not bite a human but will to defend themselves.  the venom is a neurotoxin and can kill the very young and very old, but typically just gives chills, and lots of pain.  they dont destroy tissue like the brown recluse does.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Do Black Widders commonly bite humans? Are they as dangerous as a Brown Recluse?

Neither spider is overly aggressive IMHO and both will avoid trouble when possible. But most bites occur when you unintentionally come into contact with one.

Overall, I would say the black widow is the more likely of the two spiders to cause death, though neither usually doesn't create lethal bites. Obviously, the very young and elderly often suffer worst from the bites.  The black widows' venom is a neurotoxin that affects the nervous system. The venom of the recluse is a hemotoxin and causes flesh to well, rot. To give some comparison, the pit vipers here in the US (copperhead, cottonmouth and rattler) have hemotoxic venom. The Coral snake has a neurotoxic venom. FWIW, the black widow's venom is 15 times more potent than that of a rattlesnake. Luckily for us, they are also much smaller and can inject much less of it into our flesh than a rattlensnake!

Though probably less lethal than the widow in terms of deadly bites, the recluse however may produce the most nasty wound. A black widow can make you a very sick puppy. But it's effects wear off much sooner. You should be more or less ok a few days after a widow bite with no lasting tissue damage. However, untreated, a severe recluse bite may linger for weeks or even months, with a very nasty, open wound that's hard to heal. Recognizing the bite early and getting treatment (doctor prescribed antibiotics) before the wound gets really nasty is the best bet to keep the tissue damage to a minimum.

With all that said, my goal in life is to avoid getting bitten in the first place. And usually my first reaction when I see one of these spiders is to stomp the little bastard into the ground with my shoe.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

much like a recluse, they'd rather not bite a human but will to defend themselves.  the venom is a neurotoxin and can kill the very young and very old, but typically just gives chills, and lots of pain.  they dont destroy tissue like the brown recluse does.

Taken from a Google search of black widow:

The venom of the black widow spider is 15 times as toxic as the venom of the Prairie Rattlesnake. But only a minute amount of the toxin is injected with a single bite by the spider, so they are rarely fatal. However, the relatively large amount of injected rattlesnake venom results in about 15 to 25 percent mortality among those bitten.

The bite itself is often not painful and may go unnoticed. But the poison injected by the the Black Widow bite can cause abdominal pain similar to appendicitis as well as pain to muscles or the soles of the feet. Other symptoms include alternating salivation and dry-mouth, paralysis of the diaphragm, profuse sweating and swollen eyelids.

Persons younger than 16 and older than 60, especially those with a heart condition, may require a hospital stay. (Heart and lung failure may result in death.) A physician can give specific antivenin or calcium gluconate to relieve pain. Healthy people recover rapidly in two to five days.

Pretty bad stuff if you ask me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Black Widow vs Black Cricket on now. It's starting off pretty slow. Ol' Spidy better pick up the pace if she wants to keep her present living condition.

I think I'll try to catch a wasp (without getting stung.)
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The venom of the black widow spider is 15 times as toxic as the venom of the Prairie Rattlesnake. But only a minute amount of the toxin is injected with a single bite by the spider, so they are rarely fatal. However, the relatively large amount of injected rattlesnake venom results in about 15 to 25 percent mortality among those bitten.

The bite itself is often not painful and may go unnoticed. But the poison injected by the the Black Widow bite can cause abdominal pain similar to appendicitis as well as pain to muscles or the soles of the feet. Other symptoms include alternating salivation and dry-mouth, paralysis of the diaphragm, profuse sweating and swollen eyelids.

Persons younger than 16 and older than 60, especially those with a heart condition, may require a hospital stay. (Heart and lung failure may result in death.) A physician can give specific antivenin or calcium gluconate to relieve pain. Healthy people recover rapidly in two to five days.

I never said it was good for you.  anyway, bring on the pics of the cricket challenger
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Black Widow vs Black Cricket on now. It's starting off pretty slow. Ol' Spidy better pick up the pace if she wants to keep her present living condition.

I think I'll try to catch a wasp (without getting stung.)

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#36]
HOW DID I FUCKING KNOW THAT MY NAME WAS IN THE THREAD WHEN I READ THE TITLE??

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUT!!!

Black Widow bites vary in so many degrees like other type of bug bites.. can be fatal to some and go un-noticed to others.

in my case it was a large red bump on my arm and it didnt get me sick. Sad thing that it was one of two service calls that I encountered Black Widows the previous day.

But that was the day that I declared HATRED and DISGUST for spiders. It is also the SAME FUCKING DAY YOU GUYS FOUND A NEW PERSON TO ABUSE!!!

But its OK.. I WILL GET YOU MY PRETTIES!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I've been bitten by both a Widow and a Recluse.

Widow caused intense pain, fever, sweats, chills, intense pain, muscle cramps/spasms and did I mention intense pain?

Recluse rotted a dime size chunk of flesh, for which I still have a nice scar.

Frankly, I'd just as soon not be bitten again by either.

I just did spring pest control here as we always have a shit-ton of Widows in the spring.

My final tally here in just two days of pest control this week was 26 of the little satanic bitches.

They are now all DEAD.

Kill it.

Kill it now.

SG
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I still look at the Spidey Eats clip set to CCR from way back when that was posted on here.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never said it was good for you.  anyway, bring on the pics of the cricket challenger

Black Cricket:

Black Cricket vs Black Widow:

Black Widow maintaining high ground on Black Cricket:

I tried to get all artsy fartsy by adding a broken wooden arrow in the arena-o-death.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#41]
How funny would it be if the cricket killed the spider?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sunday Sunday Sunday!!!!

Spider Fight!

i demand spider cage fighting.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I still look at the Spidey Eats clip set to CCR from way back when that was posted on here.

I tried to repost that vid but I don't have enough space on comcast to host it any more.  It was a lot of fun to make.  I have another vid with spidey sucking face with a cockroach before she kills it set to ACDC Back in Black but it's even bigger.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I'm not a gambling man, but if Black Cricket kills Black Widow I'll make a fortune off of pit fighting the little chirping fucker. ("Hey man, bet you $100 my cricket can whoop your tarantula's ass.")
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not a gambling man, but if Black Cricket kills Black Widow I'll make a fortune off of pit fighting the little chirping fucker. ("Hey man, bet you $100 my cricket can whoop your tarantula's ass.")

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, I'm not going to make any money selling tickets to cricket vs spider matches. The gladiators are pretty much in the same position as they were several hours ago.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Damn. I thought this was a discussion about the P-61 night fighter.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Damn. I thought this was a discussion about the P-61 night fighter.

Hmmm, so that's what you call the picture of the airplane on the first page, huh?

Anyhow, what the cricket vs spider match lacks in entertainment, maybe it will make up for in nutrition / training. Maybe Black Widow will be more up to the challenge of battling a wasp tomorrow if she gets some nurishment.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#49]
We used to do this with garter snakes back in the day.  Didn't work too well.

We called it:

SNAKE THUNDERDOME!

We'd stand around a 5 gallon bucket chanting:

'Two snakes enter, one snake leaves!  Two snakes enter, one snake leaves!'

Yeah, we didn't get laid.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#50]
God I HATE those things! Just this week I was at my mom's trying to clean up the place and on my list was to dispose of an old doghouse. IT was made with plywood, roof shingles, insulation, the works. As I knocked the first couple pieces of plywood off I see a bunch of big funky brown recluse spiders scurrying away. I HATE those things!!! As I tore into it further I went and got a big can of bug killer and sprayed a bunch of em...finally decided to torch it rather than screw with em...was kinda fun knowing those eight legged bastages were frying...she lives in the sticks so I can do stuff like that..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top