Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2006 7:33:57 AM EDT
I was standing next to a building talking on the phone and about 20 feet in front of me one car t-bones the other car at over 40 mph.  There was an old man in a Jag, the car that was t-boned, his drivers door was smashed all the way over to the passengers side.  His legs were crushed and they cut the car in half to get him out.   The girl that was in the Honda had a head on collision and she was airlifted to Jackson Hospital.  What a way to spend Good Friday.  Sorry the pics are small but its from my camera phone.

The old people were turning and did not see the girl in the car coming at them.  The old people were in their 60's and the girl was in here med 20s.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#1]
how do you not see a car coming?

edit: seriously, I drive a lifted toyota pickup, not exactly a low profile car and I have old people pulling out in front of me almost daily
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#2]
At night, during basically a blizzard on the interstate.

Was driving to drill one Friday night for a 3dayer with like 6" of snow already on the ground and more falling.  Everyone was driving 25-35mph, I was doing 55.
This car in front of me, I can still barely see their headlights and taillights.  So, this cars taillights start swerving back and forth and back and forth and then finally, he does a 720* and winds up in the ditch.
A few miles ahead, same thing, car does a 360* and flies into the ditch.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

edit: seriously, I drive a lifted toyota pickup, not exactly a low profile car and I have old people pulling out in front of me almost daily

Same here.

Re: Accidents, I've seen several happen right in front of me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
People over 60 need to have their vision checked every 3 years. Over 70, every 2 years. They either can't see, judge speed, have shitty depth perception, or just plain aren't paying attention.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Seen 6 car wrecks, one was a bone crushing T-bone.  Also have seen 4 aircraft accidents (as opposed to incidents for you propeller-head types).

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep.

I stopped at a red light on a six lane road that intersects another 6 lane road.  Not a very busy intersection, though.  I was in the far righthand lane.  Traffic starts going through the intersection in front of me, then a large Chrysler sedan in the middle lane (to my left) flys out into the intersection and luckily only glances off of the front of a truck.  .4 seconds slower, and he would have t-boned the truck.

Idiot was talking on his cellphone and didn't notice the several red lights facing his direction.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Several.  I keep an EMT type first aid bag in the vehicle and I have used it more than once.

SRM
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Iv'e witnessed a few but one really stands out.Me and my little brother were walking to the store. There a road that goes below a railroad bridge,residential area .2 cars smashed all to hell,people clearly dead,one was laying on the ground another was nearly decapitated and still another bent at odd angles.We never heard a thing so i'm guessing it had happened earlier and no one heard it or had driven that road since.It was early morning and eerily quiet,my brother was like 8 yrs old and I was just a pup myself.I told my brother to hurry along because they were filming a movie and we were in the way and that the cameras were hidden in a rail car nearby. Seemed like it took forever to walk out from that underpass.by the time we walked to a payphone the sirens were blaring,i could have told them there was no rush.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I have seen a bunch.

Last one was pretty interesting.  Driving back from MCRD-PI after a friend's graduation, NB on I95 in SC.

I was in the L lane, doing my normal 75-80mph as I started closing on Corolla in the R lane about 100yds north of me.  Corolla decides to drift into my lane, I lift off the throttle to slow, and Corolla continues into the center median.  Driver over-corrects and bounds back into the L and R lanes.  Out of control, car rotates 180 degrees and now going backwards in the L lane.  I have been looking for escape routes this whole time, but passenger tells me at that point he sees two heads pop into view.

At speed, the backwards Corolla now travels back into the R lane and into the breakdown lane.  Rear of the car gets clipped by oncoming compact SUV trying to pass by on the right, partially in the R travel lane and breakdown lane (according to my passeneger).  Wild sight.

The Corolla is now missing the trunk with it's contents spread out on the travel lane.  The Compact SUV is missing a door panel wiuth some bent sheet metal.  Only injury was a passenger in the SUV that suffered some cuts from flying glass.

We are all stopped and trooper en route.  Two elderly ladies driving the Corolla.  Best guess is one dropped something on the floor and subsequently lost control.  Funny thing is, I spoke to the trooper first, as did my passenger, and we told him the chain of events.  Corolla driver tried to blame the SUV driver as she was hit from behind.  I had to fill in the blanks with the stunt driving that happened prior to the impact.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#10]
couple of times, always at intersection where the lane Im in is the leg of a T type intersection, where the lane I'm in has to turn either left or right.    Sound of crunching metal is awesome.  Never saw anyone seawrious hurt however

About 8 or so years ago there was a nasty wreck on my interstate I use to commute.  Some car got hit, overturned, the driver or passenger got decapitated.  Saw it before the ambulance got there.  Nothing to lose your head over.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Old people have a sense of entitlement. They are entitled to be on the road - everybody else be damned.

They probably voted for Kerry too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I hope that you identified yourself to responding officers as a witness so you can be called in whatever trial ensues. The victims will surely appreciate your testimony.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#13]
A few.
Most dramatic was a kid who had a seizure while driving his Explorer... He slowly trailed off into the other lane, clipped about 3 parked cars and then his SUV started flipping ass over teakettle RIGHT AT ME as I was the first car driving straight at him in the other lane.

Locked up the brakes and was the first one to run over. He was belted in the upside down Explorer and convulsing due to the seizure.
No injuries to anyone, but I doubt he'll be driving again any time soon.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Several times. I saw one where an old couple in a town car pulled out into the path of a 16 year old girl who was driving on the highway at 55-60MPH. When I came to a stop, the girl's decapitated head was still rolling down the road.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Remember!  Driving is a right, not a privlege!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#16]

I saw an old nissan maxima, loaded with 6 illegal aliens fly through an intersection and hit a car with a woman in it.

I wrote a letter to her explaining what I saw, so she could use it in court.

The illegals never appeared in court

I emailed her later to ask her how it ended up.

they had no insurance and no ID and were NOT taken into custody

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Several times. I saw one where an old couple in a town car pulled out into the path of a 16 year old girl who was driving on the highway at 55-60MPH. When I came to a stop, the girl's decapitated head was still rolling down the road.

Ugh.
I can't imagine seeing something like that, or having to watch someone burn (wasn't there a thread where someone was the first on the scene to an accident with a guy sceaming, trapped in a burning car?)

I've seen one fatal traffic accident, been involved in one accident where the other party was severely injured (due to their own fault- the cop wrote her a ticket in the hospital) and been the first one through the door for a GSW suicide... I'd do all of them again before having to deal with a decapitation or being present while some poor screaming soul burned to death.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Wednesday morning on I-64.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#19]
 One of the worst days of my life. November 17th, 1997.

I was coming back from a night of delivering auto glass along the Oregon coast. Heading back towards McMinville along highway 18. It was poaring down rain, as usual, and as I headed down a hill just a few mile s from town, I saw a blue and white pick up hydroplane across the yellow line and go head on into a purple mini-van.

It took me about 10 seconds to get my van stopped and head for the accident. The trucks driver was crawling out of his passenger door. He had not been wearing a seatbelt and had kissed the steering wheel pretty good. His face was a mass of blood but he was concious and talking. I ran around the back side of the van and came up to the passenger window.

The next few minutes are the subject of my nightmares to this day.

The driver was a 37 year old female named Cindy, she had two kids and a loving husband. She was an elementary school teacher and church volunteer. I didn't know all of this at the time, I learned it when I attended the funeral and met her husband.

I'll spare you the details of what i saw in the van.  I worked on her until the paramedics arrived. As I was leaving, they were de-fibrilating her, trying to get her heart started.

She died of internal head injury's and a severed liver. Her husband thanked me for helping to keep her alive long enough for him and the kids to say goodbye.

Almost ten years ago, and I still get the chills when I think about it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I saw one, I was the driver doing the T-boning. (parking lot accident, 35mph debate over who had right-of-way at the intersection of two parking lanes, I was distracted and didnt realize the 4x4" post sticking out of the ground was supposed to be holding a stop sign that was missing. )

Another one, I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of me, truck behind me stopped quickly too. The lady behind that truck didnt see his brake lights. It totaled my then-GF's coworker's brand new car, so we had to let her kids sit in my truck while the cops did their thing since it started raining like hell a few minutes after the impact.  

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Driving south on I-44 in OKC.  About 300' ahead of me, an SUV drifts into the concrete divider between the northbound and southbound lanes.  Also forces a car trailing it into the divider.  Said SUV then overcorrects and swerves back across the road.  Comes damn close to taking out another two cars.  SUV does a 180 and comes to a stop facing oncoming traffic.

There's glass, metal and tires all over the place.  I barely missed it.  Happened in slow motion.  Don't know what happened to the people inside of the involved vehicles as I didn't stop.  There was a OKCPD car on scene in less than 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Yep, on our trip back from Egypt. We arrived in Bulgaria and our coach bus back to Ruse from Sophia airport hit a stolen Mercedes Benz head on. Driver was drunk and swerved onto the wrong side of the road. I clearly remember the sound of the tires locking up on the bus and the impact of the crash. I really didn't want to get out of the bus because I was afraid of what I was going to see. I knew something had to be done though. Myself and a few of the other passengers got off the bus and surprisingly this guy was just knocked out with a bloody noise and face. I am not sure if he had internal damage but I checked him and he did have a pulse and airway. One of the Bulgarians started to talk to him as he came though. Took the local ambulance and police awhile to get there and by the time they arrived this guy was trying to escape to get away from them. It was almost funny because when he saw the cops coming up to the door he starting trying to get out of the car and the cop just pushes the door shut on this guy. I mean holy shit, he just got hit by a coach bus, then to slam a door on his leg! The ambulance came and got this guy and took him away. We had to sit out in the cold for about an hour while another bus came to take us back to Ruse.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I once saw a drunk man run into traffic and start acting like a deer in the headlights.  Girl in the car in fornt of me took off to shoulder to miss him.  He then trned twice and then darted right in front of her.  Guy flew about 10 feet into the air and looked like a rag doll be tossed about.   Landed on his head.  By the time I got my car stopped in a way to protect the guy from oncoming traffic several people had come to his aid including a doctor, a nurse and a military looking guy who looked like he had plenty of medical training too.  After the guy came too, we had to sit on him to keep him down until and ambulance arrived to take him to a hospital.

Girl was a total wreck.  Nothing she could have done.  Only damage to her car was the rear view mirror that ripped off when she hit him.  If the guy had stayed still, everybody going both ways had him covered.  Traffic would have come to a stop and he could have crossed finished crossing the road.  Cost me a new t-shirts to used as a pillow and to soak up the blood from his head wound.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#24]
In May of 1993 I was southbound on US Interstate 39 just North of Paw Paw Illinois when I was the first on the scene of a rollover accident. A northbound vehicle had crossed over the median and rolled several times ending up on the roof. One subject, the husband was still in the vehicle DOA from massive head injuries. The wife had been ejected and the vehicle had rolled over her pelvis and lower extremies. My girlfriend and I comforted her as much as we could until the paramedics arrived the scene. She expired shortly thereafter. I'll never forget her asking about where her husband was at and all I could do was to tell her to stop talking, save her strength and hold on to my hand until help arrived.

Harp
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I've witnessed two.  One was a pedestrian trying to cross an interstate.  He didn't make it.  The second was a motorcycle.  He was flying low when someone changed lanes right into his path.  Then he was flying one way, and what was left of his motorcycle was flying in another.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I saw a P-3 Orion blow up in mid air , back in 77 or so....does that count?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Wife and I were driving along a divided Interstate, speed limit was 70.  Noticed in my peripheral vision that a vehicle in an oncoming lane didn't look right.  Glanced over to see the a Ford Ranger sideways in it's lane which was what got my attention.  Truck was sideways, still traveling at speed and flipped over a few times and the driver ejected through the roof, taking the roof off the truck.  He flew 30 feet into the air and bounced a few times in the grass median.

I'll spare the gory details, but he didn't make it.  Really sad because he was vol fd and it was his departement that responded.  Many couldn't take it and wouldn't come near.  I was pretty messed up for a few days, kept seeing it replay over and over in my head.  Especially while trying to sleep.  Dude died right at my feet.

And to think how many years I didn't wear a seatbelt.  I've had to replay the story for a few people I've seen not wearing seatbelts since.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#28]
i was driving up i95 a few years ago and a car goes hauling ass past me.  he them swerved over to the other lane to pass another car, and he lost it.  he slid sideways off the left side of the road, and then came back around and crossed off to the right side of the road and hit a tree.  scared the living shit out of me
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I saw an 18 wheeler fly off an elevated part of I-10 near downtown Houston one day. I was going to pick my wife up from work in downtown and exited the freeway. About 100 ft. in front of me I see this truck come flying off the freeway right toward me. It crashed onto one of the concrete barricade and crumbled like paper. I got out and walked up toward the truck. Diesel fule was just pouring out of the tanks onto the road and just beginning to burn. I tried to look into the cab but didn't see anyone.  The car that had just passed before the truck stopped and they were walking back toward the truck. I saw them pointing toward the side of the road. I looked over and the driver was laying there. They dragged him up away from the truck. By then it was starting to really burn and I could feel the heat. Heard on the news later that night that the driver didn't make it. IIRC he was 18, in "training", and driving on a suspended license.
If I had been going 5MPH faster the truck would have landed on top of me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Last summer, my father is driving me in a 99 Buick GS on I-35 southbound south of Waco. We are in the left lane doing 76 mph 2 seconds behind a white minivan. The minivan is the third of three vehicles tailgating one another in the left lane. We just pass a car in the right lane when the white minivan impacts a stalled vehicle (which was in the median but with the bumper hanging into the left lane 6") with her left front bumper. If she had been keeping a proper follow distance she would have seen the obstacle, or maybe if she was paying attention she could have avoided it. There's no excuse for hitting a nonmoving object. The minivan goes into a slow counterclockwise spin down the left lane. We shift lanes and pass on the right shoulder. The minivan fortunately slides off the right side of the highway behind us and settles in the feeder lane.

All passengers in the van are OK except for a girl in the second row who wasn't wearing her seat belt. She had been thrown forward between the front seats and hit the windshield. Though still conscious, she had a head injury and probably some spine injury. The ambulance was there in ten minutes and I'm pretty sure she made it. We gave our witness and left.

Funny, the thing that brough my attention to the wreck was the shower of glass on our windshield about  a sec. after the impact. Due to my dad's good driving skills, we were able to avoid without incident.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Two.

This was back in the days before California had manditory helmet laws.
April 1984.
I was riding my Kawasaki GpZ1100 up on Hwy 33 past Ojai heading north.
I passed a group of guys on various makes of bikes, some were "cruisers" of the day, some where "sportbikes" of the day. One guy stood out in my mind, he was on a Kawasaki KZ650 goofy cruiser (stupid ape hanger bars, sissy bar, forward crash bar with footpegs) riding with no helmet.
I passed these guys up on a straight, and the only guy who took off after me was the goofball on the KZ.
I left him like he was tied to a fence post when we hit the twisties.
I rode on about another 20 miles and during that time I passed a couple cars, one was a Plymouth 4 door with the family inside.
I turned around and went back down the mountain. I rounded a corner right before a nice set of blind curves/twisties and found a couple cars stopped in the road and the same group of guys I had passed before with one guy missing.
Yep, it was goofball.
I walked up to the accident and saw that the front end of the plymouth was caved in and goofball's motorcycle was imbeded in the front end of the car.
Goofball was laying on the street a little behind and to the side of the car.
One of the ladies in another car was a nurse and was giving goofball CPR.
I offered to help, she asked that I take over compressions.
The first compression I did I almost puked, there was no resistance. He either had broken every rib in the front of his ribcage or else had ripped the front of the ribcage off the rest.
I did compressions for about 5 minutes before a CHP took over.

Goofball had been passing his buddies in the left lane in blind twisties.
The family was driving in their lane when goofball rounded the corner and macked the car head-on at about 40 mph. He hit the windshield, bounced up, hit the back of the car and then hit his head on the ground.

While I had been doing compressions I noticed that the there was "stuff" leaking from his ears and from the back of his head.

The other one I saw was a T-bone at the top of the hill on Hwy 101 where it goes through Gilroy in 1986.

I was getting gas and was waching the intersection out of the corner of my eye.
I heard the eeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr of a long skid and then the thud-WHOMP-crash of the impact.

The guy who had T-boned the car (not his fault, he was driving the speed limit, some dumb cunt pulled out in front of him), his car bounced and the richoched off of her car and went spinning across the intersection and through the parking lot of the gas station where I was filling up.
The impact knocked his door open, and for wantever reason he "fell" out of the car about halfway and then his seatbelt stopped him.
However, he had just enough slack that his head was able to reach the ground. His head was bouncing off the ground and the side of his car as it slid and spun across the parking lot
His car finally stopped after it had hit the side of the building and went about a quarter of the way through the wall.

I ran up to him and found that he was bleeding from his head and that his hair looked really messed up. He was awake but just out of it. He was trying to get his seat belt off and wanted to go into his house to get some asprin because he had a bad headache.

I was trying to get him to stay in the car when a couple other people came up to check him out.
I was talking to one of the ladies who was a nurse and she told me to keep talking to him and not to let him pass out.

She left to get a blanket out of her car, and it was then I noticed that he was rubbing the back and side of his head and coming up with blood, hair and chunks of skin.
He then pulled on the back of his scalp and lifted off almost his entire scalp.  
FUCK. It flopped over and fell over the front of his face.
I didn't know what to do, but by then the nurse had come back and told me to get out of the way.
She flipped his scalp back and then told me to "keep him from doing that again".

I gave the CHP a report and then left.
I was called to testify a few months later, but because I was going to be out of the country on DET I was desposed at a lawyers office.

I remember answering the "what happened" question like this-"The stupid brain dead cunt in the car pulled out right in front of the guy, he had no where to go, there was no fucking way he could have stopped or gotten out of the way. That cunt should be tossed in jail for a long fucking time so she does not kill the next guy".

I heard that the defense didn't like that at all and tried to get it barred.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Oh my god....

My friend and I were driving back from a long day of surfing.  As we're merging onto the freeway, these  two frat boys in the lane next to us misjudged how far we were coming over, freaked, and started swerving.  All I saw was their car going back and forth across three lanes, then I saw smoke from the tires and heard the crunch of metal.  The girl I was driving with wouldn't stop; instead, she panicked and floored it while I yelled at her for two miles over not stopping.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I could make an educated guess, but do you know if either made it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Seen to many of 'em to relate - scary thing is, many of 'em have been while I'm working a scene already with the BRT (Big Red Truck) with all it's lights going.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I've seen my share of fender benders and unfortunately have seen a few fatality accidents. The sound of a high speed crash and the site off a recently snuffed life is something I could do without seeing again.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I saw a car cut off a semi tractor with no trailer one day going South on I75/I85 through Atlanta.  The car was in the left lane and decided at the last second to go right onto I85 South where they split.  The truck driver nailed the brakes and, as you can imagine, the rear end started hopping very violently without the trailer.

Everyone did a pretty good job because when he started to lose it, he was all over the road.  Everyone slowed down and gave him plenty of room.  He eventually lost it and went over on the left side of the truck.  Another guy and myself were the ones closest so we pulled our cars just around the other side of the truck, got out of our cars, and went and got him out of the cab.  He was shaken up, but otherwise okay.

My girlfriend's boss recognized my car when he saw it sitting in front of the truck and thought I was involved.  He called my girlfriend who then called me and she was being very hysterical until I 'splained what happened.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:34:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I hope that you identified yourself to responding officers as a witness so you can be called in whatever trial ensues. The victims will surely appreciate your testimony.

I did and there were several others that stopped as well to do the same thing!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#40]
I have been in a few.  I've seen too many to mention.

I wear my seatbelt because of these things.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Yes, I was driving near downtown Phoenix when I pulled up to a red light. There was one car in the left lane and the right lane was empty. Normally I would've jumped over in the right lane, but decided not to since I would be turning left in a couple blocks. Anyway, I'm behind the other car and the light turns green and he pulls out into the intersection when another car runs the red light and t-bones this guy going about 45mph. He hit him so hard that both cars ended up in the next lane. I didn't have time to react, I didn't hit the brakes, I didn't even let off the gas. I just drove through the intersection like normal, unscathed.

I didn't even realize what exactly happened until I got to the next intersection.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#42]
One I saw, one I came up on immediately after.

First was a 2-lane road, raining lightly. Dumb twit in a Volvo misses her turn so she STOPS half way on, half way off her lane...and begins BACKING up...Traffic was following her though not too closely and frantically tried to dodge around her in the other lane...First car succeeds but the second car couldn't see what was going on and locks up his brakes finally fishtailing into her back end.

I'm approaching in the oncomming lane so I've got a perfect view of the whole mess...No severe injuries but the woman driving the Volvo had a nicely broken nose and was due to be married the next day...She shouldn't have tried backing ON THE ROAD like that....Yep, I stopped and gave a detailed statement to the cops.

Second? I was driving on the interstate at maybe 70-75 one evening when a white blur passed me. I could only tell it was white and a small, riced out Jap looking car and then it was GONE...My estimation was somewhere north of 130 + from the way my truck rocked at his passing.  Less than 5 min later I see redlights in the distance (LOTS of red lights) and come upon what remains of a white car...Literally torn to shreds. All I can figure is that the kid midjudged the road and clipped a barrier and that was all she wrote...Silly kids think that just because a car can REACH high speeds that it's gonna be STABLE at those speeds

The only good thing I could come up with on that one was that it didn't look like he'd taken any other car with him. The whole rest of the trip I was saying prayers for the kid.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Any updates on the condition of the people vedubin01?

I've seen two. I was about half a block away from both of them.

The first was a snowy, snowing Christmas Eve afternoon. Sis and I (I'm driving) were headed out of town. Conditions were bad. As we approach the hiway a mid-70's Monte Carlo comes screaming up the road. Just as he gets to the cross walk (or where one would be) his car swaps ends. He backs into a power pole on the other side of the intersection, at about 60mph. Speed limit is 45. I see him get out, go to the back of his car and start beating the roof. I tell sis "He looks okay to me, he isn't going anywhere and the cops won't have any problems figuring out what happened. Let's keep going." As I recall we didn't make it to our aunt and uncle's. We turned around and went home after another mile or so of that crap.

Second time I was approaching the other hiway going through downtown. Some bimbo in a small car (Pinto, Vega, Gremlin, Pacer type of box) just nailed the brakes when the light turned yellow. Evidently she didn't take into account the semi behind her couldn't stop on a dime like she could. He surely tried, but he shot her ass all the way across the intersection.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Sitting in rush hour traffic, I watched a semi on the other side of the highway veer off the road and hit the right embankment, he then overcorrected and began to cross all the lanes of traffic on his side of the road.  He then appeared to be coming straight at me, and I thought my ticket was punched cause there was no moving to be done.  As he hit the highway divider his cab raised in the air and came down on the hood and windshield of the car in front of me.  Amazingly the family in that car was not injured.  The driver looked like he had been asleep but he could have also been in shock.

I really thought that was my time to go.  Lucky for all of us, and most of all that family, his truck turned just enough not to land on the passenger compartment.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#45]
three weeks ago a guy driving a one ton van threw the tread off the left rear, (tire did not go flat). I guess he flinched at the noise it made and jerked the wheel. Anyway the van started fishtailing and he ended up wrapping it around a bridge support.  I was the first one to him and was nothing I could do he was crushed and bleeding profusely and died about 5 miniutes later...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#46]
the other day I was sitting at a light in the right lane of a two lane divided road. I look over to my left and there is an old lady going in the same direction as me, sitting in the wrong lane, across the divider. I'm on the phone talking to my buddy and I'm like WTF....I look over at the stopped oncoming traffic to see their reaction when the light turns green. Being the good guy that I am, I wait when the light turns green so as to allow her to cross over to the correct lane. She finally looks over and I'm like go, grandma! So she TURNS HARD RIGHT from that position, almost hitting my truck....and never bothers to notice that the outside lane has oncoming traffic and BAM she's t-boned by a car in that lane. Grandma gets on the gas insted of the brake and goes up on a 45 like the Duke boys over the car she hit and somehow misses about 5 cars perpendicular to her, waiting to turn to the lanes of travel where she came from. My buddy heard it on the phone, he was like GD, was that the accident? Yep. So I get out and grandma's got a cane and oxygen and a mumu and she doesn't know what is going on. Turns out the other car was driven by a lady whose son goes to school with mine. I expalined to the cops what happened and he was like WTF are you kidding me, is that what you're telling me? I told him yes, and he said he was going to report her for a medical evaluation.

Drove up on one on I10, two ejected, one guy's knee is tore open bad, all beat up and I kept some gauze on his knee for a while, he was combative, delirious, really concerned for his sister who was ejected out the back. She seemed to be hurt,  but I could tell she was going to make it. It was tough keeping him down, he was very concerned for his sister. I looked in the car and there was fast food everywhere, fries, ketcheup etc.      
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Yup, Thursday I saw someone on a motorcycle take a spill @ 65MPH.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Walking to lunch across a main road, woman started turning slowly and had to stop again - another car coming down too fast. Instead of stopping she flew across the road and into a ditch, hit gas instead of the brakes. Took the EMT 40 minutes to arrive on scene too, in February. Grand excuse to miss a class though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

by being too fucking irresponsible to even check.

i witnessed a wreck just like that in my rear view mirror when i was in highschool.  i was on my way home, and was passing a hospital.  an old man started pulling out in front of me, but he stopped at the last second.  i passed him and glanced back just in time to see him pull out in front of a class mate's car and get t-boned at 45 mph.

the road had a lot of traffic on it and by the time i was able to get turned around, a couple cops and a firetruck had already arrived.

people pull out in front of me all the time too.  i seriously hate it.  around here, we have a lot of old people who drive pieces of shit and just don't care.  on a daily basis, i'll have someone pull out in front of me, i stand on my brakes to keep from hitting them, and they proceed to drive 15 miles under the speed limit.  my truck sits high enough to where my headlights are level with the back of most people's heads, so at night these douchebags get to enjoy my brights.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#50]
I was pulling up to an intersection when a car with two highschool kids took a left turn in a smaller car like a metro, and were T-Boned by a lady doing 75 who ran the red in one of those big cars like a chevy caprice. I was the first one to the boy's car. When I got there I just stood and shook. There wasn't anything I could do, they were bleeding from their ears and nose so heavily I just sat there until it stopped on it's own. The passenger had lost his arm as well so he was the first to depart. The worst part was when one of the boys fathers drove by the scene just as the paramedics and police showed up. He ran up to me saying that that is his boy's car and asked me if they were ok. All I could do was point at the officer on the scene who luckily was approaching me.  The lady was ok, but hysterical. Her daughter was balled up in the corner of the bench seat obviously in shock. Neither had any obvious injuries other than a few cuts on their faces.

Even though I know now that there wasn't anything I could do, I still hated that feeling of helplessness. Both boys that were hit suffered severe head trauma.

The second accident I've seen was actually a bit comical. I was in rush hour traffic going to pick up my wife from her work. It was stop and go and I noticed that the car behind me wasn't paying too much attention by the way they'd hit their brakes at the last second.  Traffic had stopped in front of me so I did too but the car behind me was oblivious (two college girls chatting it up).  I put my foot over the gas pedal just in case I had to move. They hit the brakes really late and started to skid so I hit the gas. They stopped short of me, but were then hit by another car which got them moving forward again. Luckily I was already moving and dodged the impact by a few inches.  Hehe, I wasn't about to wait around to fill out a police report since I din't get hit and continued on my way.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top