Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2006 8:39:59 PM EDT

Calif. bill would require textbooks include 'gay history'

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (BP)--A bill that would require California public school textbooks to include "gay history" is making its way through the state legislature, and experts warn it could have an impact nationwide.

The bill, SB 1437, passed a state Senate committee April 4 by a vote of 3-1 and is expected to be debated in the full body in the coming days. It would require textbooks to include "the contributions of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender to the total development of California and the United States."

The bill also changes state law to prohibit teachers from saying anything "adversely" about homosexuality.
That in of itself could change the way schools teach about the natural family (mom, dad and children).

The bill specifically is aimed at the social sciences -- which includes history -- but presumably could have an even wider reach.

"It's blatantly one-sided and would portray homosexuality, through curriculum in the schools, as mainstream," Lynne Fishel, spokesperson for the California Family Council, told Baptist Press. "It would end any open discussion about the issue of homosexuality in the public classroom."

The fear among conservatives is that if the bill becomes law, it could influence the content of textbooks in other states. California is the nation's largest textbook purchaser.

"As they say, 'As California goes, so goes the nation,’" Fishel said.

Just last year, the California Senate and Assembly, both controlled by Democrats, passed a bill that would have legalized "gay marriage." But it was vetoed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican who has yet to take a public position on the latest bill.

Geoffrey Kors, executive director of the homosexual group Equality California, applauded the committee for advancing the bill.

“Current California law recognizes the importance of teaching about a variety of people and groups that contribute to our diverse society," Kors said in a statement. "Adding the important contributions of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community and individuals is in keeping with that educational goal.”

But the Campaign for Children and Families, a California-based pro-family group, argues that the bill could mean the end of "kings" and "queens" during homecoming and prom week as well as sex-specific sports such as boys and girls basketball. The bill says that "no teacher shall give instruction nor shall a school district sponsor any activity that reflects adversely upon persons because of their race or ethnicity, gender, disability, nationality, sexual orientation, or religion." That part of the bill, CCF says, could result in homosexuals and transsexuals arguing that sex-specific sports, as well as homecoming "kings" and "queens," are "discriminatory."

"There’s no mistaking that the California Department of Education will use SB 1437 to erase all traditional distinctions of gender or sexual standards," a statement on CCF's website states.

Said Fishel, of the California Family Council, "This bill legitimizes the pro-homosexual viewpoint and negates any traditional views of family. While it's shrouded in an anti-discrimination tolerance bill, it's really discriminatory against people of faith, who would question homosexuality as a behavior.

"It elevates homosexuals and transgenders into the category of men, women, blacks, Hispanics and other culture and ethnic groups.... I wasn't aware that we call out sexual orientation when we're teaching history. That would be very new for our kids," Fishel said.

I've said it many times - The militant Queer Movement wants to devour your children.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#1]
its the only way that they can reproduce
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure they did some great decorating or something.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate that fucking state!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that while we are doing the send-a-brick campaign, we need to turn that wall north at the California border and seal them off.  

And that is not a joke.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Where else are they going to learn about Sarge and Doll skits?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#6]

It would require textbooks to include "the contributions of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender to the total development of California and the United States."

The bill also changes state law to prohibit teachers from saying anything "adversely" about homosexuality.

Wow.

I'd love to see them try that with Christians:

It would require textbooks to include "the contributions of people who are white male Christians to the total development of California and the United States." The bill also changes state law to prohibit teachers from saying anything "adversely" about white male Christians.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Another reason I decided not to stay and live there when I got out of the Corps.  Land of Fruits and NUTS...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
IBTCA
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#9]
oh boo fucking hoo.

Sheila Kuehl introduces another bill that has no chance of going anywhere and the nervous nellies think the gays are sneaking out from behind their bedroom cabinets again to rape them in their sleep.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
oh boo fucking hoo.

Sheila Kuehl introduces another bill that has no chance of going anywhere and the nervous nellies think the gays are sneaking out from behind their bedroom cabinets again to rape them in their sleep.

so this is a good thing?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It would require textbooks to include "the contributions of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender to the total development of California and the United States."

Wow.

It would require textbooks to include "the contributions of people who are white male Christians to the total development of California and the United States." The bill also changes state law to prohibit teachers from saying anything "adversely" about white male Christians.

It isn't like they really have a choice about the matter, white male christians have contributed the most to the advancement of this country. The sole field I can think where minorities have contributed more is Physics, where the Jews dominated during the first half of the 20th century.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#12]
(sigh) More Kali madness

Love the beaches, Sequoia forests and the women. But I don't miss that zoo. Can you imagine your kid coming home with fag homework?? Gee dad, did ya know that Ben Franklin had a thing for James Madison?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#13]
There was also some other bill in CA that made it so in order to get a HS diploma you have to have a homo experiance. They can kiss my ass!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#14]
What about the history of transgenderism?  How the hell could they leave that one out of the bill?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
There was also some other bill in CA that made it so in order to get a HS diploma you have to have a homo experiance. They can kiss my ass!

If they did, would that count as your homo experience?

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they did, would that count as your homo experience?

[cheezy announcer voice] Next up on CNN: rimjobs versus blowjobs is the big debate for california high school graduate hopefuls, more at 11![/c.a.v.]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#17]
they gonna cover the gay history of Germany and The Soviet Union ?

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey hot LESBIANS are AWESOME!!!!

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

an awesome waste of two perfectly good women.

lesbians by definition do not like men, so dont confuse yourself by fantasizing about 3somes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#20]
gay
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Oh yeah, well there are more conservative, right wing anti-gays in Orange County, CA than ALL of North Carolina, so put that in your pipe and smoke it, you dilrod. I've heard all sorts of idiotic crap coming out of Chapel Hill and Raliegh but I don't condemn the whole state of NC for it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hey hot BI CHICKS are AWESOME!!!!

Fixt for accuracy.

We already teach it anyway. If you take any ancient history class they are going to include the greeks... Putting an emphasis on the persuasion and not the individual is where they fail horribly.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah, well there are more conservative, right wing anti-gays in Orange County, CA than ALL of North Carolina, so put that in your pipe and smoke it, you dilrod. I've heard all sorts of idiotic crap coming out of Chapel Hill and Raliegh but I don't condemn the whole state of NC for it.

uhh, I think you're a bit off there buddy
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lesbians by definition do not like men, so dont confuse yourself by fantasizing about 3somes.

some lesbians like men
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#25]
California.

Figures.

San Fran RUNS things here.

I wish SoCal was its own state.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
oh boo fucking hoo.

so this is a good thing?

It is if you're gay
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

uhh, I think you're a bit off there buddy

I don't know about the numbers, but Orange County is generally very conservative, and it has an assload of people in it, AFAIK.

All this red-state blue-state crap has often obfuscated the fact that there are often millions of hard-core conservatives in blue states, and millions of kooky lefties in red states.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#28]
If a homosexual person did something significant in CA or US history, they should be included in a text book. It is retarded, though, to mention their sexual orientation at all- its not like that had something to do with that accomplishment. The books should concentrate on what they did in history, not what they did in the bedroom.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#29]
LMFAO!

I wonder why I haven't heard anything about this?   I usually try and stay aware of the crazy laws coming out of our legislature.  This may be bad, but it isn't as bad as when they tried to put serial numbers on every single bullet and case (even rimfire) and register them at time of purchase.  They also wanted to put searial numbers on the firing pin, so they would stamp the primer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#30]
But wait, since homosexuality and etc was mostly hidden from view and behind closed doors back in the day, wouldn't that sort of make gay history a part of history, period?

Oh wait, sorry, I was using logic.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

some lesbians like men

you mean some bisexual women like men.

learn english, it isnt that hard
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
California.

Figures.

Hey, we don't want them either!

When we split the state in two, SoCal gets SanFransicko! As it should be!

You're just North Mexico anyway.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
California.

Figures.

If that happened I would move back to Forestville.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, I think is about time we gave California either their independence or give it back to the Mexicans; let them deal with that crap.

"Gay" History; WTF, OVER!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
If a homosexual person did something significant in CA or US history, they should be included in a text book. It is retarded, though, to mention their sexual orientation at all- its not like that had something to do with that accomplishment. The books should concentrate on what they did in history, not what they did in the bedroom.

Exactly!  Some of the founding fathers could have been peter puffers for all I care, that isn't what makes history.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:41:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:50:19 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
California.

Figures.

What kind of CRACK are you smoking??

OC, SD, Riverside, San Bernadino, Kern, Inyo...and on and on, can take care of "LA." We'd so bitch slap those homies into submission.

I'd take the central valley too, and even most of the Northern state.

Lets just use a hole punch, and lose SF, and adjacent counties. They RUIN this state.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:57:34 AM EDT
[#38]

The books should concentrate on what they did in history, not what they did in the bedroom.

+1 billion
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:28:34 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:30:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
its the only way that they can reproduce

Don't forget about adoption.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:32:39 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
But wait, since homosexuality and etc was mostly hidden from view and behind closed doors back in the day, wouldn't that sort of make gay history a part of history, period?

Oh wait, sorry, I was using logic.

Let me guess, Toronto?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

But the Campaign for Children and Families, a California-based pro-family group, argues that the bill could mean the end of "kings" and "queens" during homecoming and prom week as well as sex-specific sports such as boys and girls basketball. The bill says that "no teacher shall give instruction nor shall a school district sponsor any activity that reflects adversely upon persons because of their race or ethnicity, gender, disability, nationality, sexual orientation, or religion." That part of the bill, CCF says, could result in homosexuals and transsexuals arguing that sex-specific sports, as well as homecoming "kings" and "queens," are "discriminatory."

WTF?  You have to separate by sex for sports because the nature of things is that in most sports men and women do not compete at the same level, as a whole.  There's a few exceptions, shooting for example.  Are they going to teach shooting in California schools?  Because that would be awesome.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Why do stories like this always come from California?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Wow.

+1. Militant homosexuals are some of the sickest people on the planet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
California.

Figures.

Sheila is from Santa Monica isn't she?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
oh boo fucking hoo.

so this is a good thing?

Does that mean you want the bill to succeed? or the nervous nellies getting nightmares again.

I spect if we looked at all the stupid bills introduced in other states we'ld find some really crappy ones there too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top