Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2006 7:22:18 PM EDT
I am a veteran, gun enthusiast, and pre-veterinary student. I put a small video together of some of the experiences I have had at work the last couple years, gaining experience at a local animal shelter.

Its an educational tool, please share with everyone who might learn something from it.

brightlion.com/InHope.aspx

make sure your speakers are on

warning..slightly graphic, but then again, so is reality

thanks
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Brutal  

My cat was a feral stray.  I took him out of the hands of an animal control guy while he was being picked up.
SHEISLEGEND got our dog from a shelter.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#2]
My cat "Cosmo" was thrown from a car going about 40mph. Luckily my dad saw it happen and picked him up before he got run over. I would like to find the smacktard who did it and throw him from a car!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
One of my cats was hours from being put to sleep - we are going to celebrate 10 years with this cat in May and our second cat was found in a trash can at a car wash. I don't know how someone could do this. Our dog was given to us by a coworker when she moved to a new place that would not allow dogs. She was ready to go to the pound and give it up. It is an eye opener to walk through an animal shelter.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
having worked in veterinary clinics in poor neighborhoods, I can say that the cruelty I saw other "humans" inflict on animals forever changed me...

EPOCH
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
One of my cats was hours from being put to sleep - we are going to celebrate 10 years with this cat in May and our second cat was found in a trash can at a car wash. I don't know how someone could do this. Our dog was given to us by a coworker when she moved to a new place that would not allow dogs. She was ready to go to the pound and give it up. It is an eye opener to walk through an animal shelter.

Every year I recieve kittens that were found in SEALED containers in garbage cans...it's rediculous
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow.   Well done.  Very sad, disturbing
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Speechless. Very good presentation, it sure raised awareness with me.
Left feedback, outstanding job!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Good job.  This is really important to get out there.

We recently took in a kitten who was abandon, and had been mauled by a dog causing her skull to be crushed.  When we got her, she was very weak, and had been comatose for several days before (what we were told).  The only thing she would do is walk in a counter-clockwise circle.  We seriously doubted that she would survive.  We nursed her back to health, but she ended up blind and mostly deaf.  We kept her indoors.  Amazingly, she learned to get around very well, and was a very loving and trusting cat even after what she had been through.  She really inspired me.  People that saw her when we first got her couldn't believe that she was the same cat.

After a few months of doing well, we took her in to be spayed.  The week after we noticed that she was very weak and stopped eating.  We took her to the vet.  Her kidneys had failed (reasons unknown, could have been complications due to the previous trauma).  She stayed with the vet for about a week on IV's, and seemed to improve.  We took her back home.  Sadly, she worsend again.  We took her back to the vet for the last time and had her put to sleep as we were advised that she would not survive.  It really pissed me off that she went through so much suffering in such a short life.

Sorry for going off topic, but I was really surprised how much the vet staff seemed to care.  They took her situation personally, all the way to her death.  It saddend them as well.  I really don't think I could deal with that day in and day out.

I have a newfound respect for vets and thier staff after this whole ordeal.
Thanks man.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#9]
great movie
did a triple post on the feedback Drrrrr
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#10]
nicely done.

thought provoking.............
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice job...thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wow.   Well done.  Very sad, disturbing

+100
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#13]
any takers on the odds that this will wind up going 10-12 pages then get a lock...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I think we all know there are too many unwanted dogs and cats in this country.  Spaying and neutoring would help.  In out County alone 30,000 dogs and cats are killed a year. That equals 82 a day 7 days a week 365 days a year.
Because of the 5 day work week it is more like 115 a day. (Monday through Friday)

In 2004 our County ran out of the best drug to euthanize the animals and was forced to use another method that is more unpleasant even for the workers.  Several refused to do it and it culminated in photos in the local paper (Bakersfield Californian) of several 55 gallon barrels full of dead dogs and cats.

Things have gotten better, but our County still puts down a lot of animals.  The budget was increased dramatically and more people were hired.  Lots get adopted out but many, many still get the "blue juice".

I do not understand the significance of the dove at the end however.  It made me long for the upcoming dove season.  Come on September 1st.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:04:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Sorry for going off topic, but I was really surprised how much the vet staff seemed to care. They took her situation personally, all the way to her death. It saddend them as well. I really don't think I could deal with that day in and day out.

As opposed to the so-called "doctors" who don't seem to give two shits about the wellbeing of their human patients, just that they take their $10 asprin. I guess that's what happens when you socialize something like healthcare... people become worth less in the eyes of the caretakers than animals; they're just another task to accomplish for the day.

Very touching video. Our cat is a stray (indoor only) and when I get somewhere that I can have a dog and keep him outdoors, we'll be getting a stray from the pound as well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
any takers on the odds that this will wind up going 10-12 pages then get a lock...

Probably.  Some rapist/child-molester to-be will come in talking about how badass they are because they kill cats or dogs for fun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By John Parker:
My cat "Cosmo" was thrown from a car going about 40mph. Luckily my dad saw it happen and picked him up before he got run over. I would like to find the smacktard who did it and throw him from a car!

Didn't you see Steven Segal's 'out for justice?'

Eventually, he meets every one of these asshats and beats the shit out of them

remember, Karma is a bitch
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#18]
wow, just wow. I had to watch it again. I also listed under my websites in my facebook profile. Hopefully it'll get some exposure to a lot of college students that way.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
wow, just wow. I had to watch it again. I also listed under my websites in my facebook profile. Hopefully it'll get some exposure to a lot of college students that way.

thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I am a veteran, gun enthusiast, and pre-veterinary student. I put a small video together of some of the experiences I have had at work the last couple years, gaining experience at a local animal shelter.

Its an educational tool, please share with everyone who might learn something from it.

thanks

Good production, a lot of fine looking animals.  I have never been to a pound, and was surprised how much their quarters resemble prison cells.  Overkill wouldn't you say?  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Good video. As for those who abuse animals, I take comfort in trusting that God will punish them accordingly for mistreating His creation.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Make ya wish you could save all of them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
nicely done.

thought provoking.............

+1 Made me think twice about things i never even really thought about before. Awesome job.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks

Good production, a lot of fine looking animals.  I have never been to a pound, and was surprised how much their quarters resemble prison cells.  Overkill wouldn't you say?  

It is out of necessity for a sanitary living environment. With 150+ dogs constantly turning over it boils down to maintaining cleanliness and minimizing the spread of disease.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#25]
That's a damn good video, well thought out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#26]
The only part I did not agree with was the bit about pet ownership being a revocable privilege, not a right.  

Everyone has the right to make choices, simply because we do not like what choices someone makes does not mean that we should begin to mother them and remove their rights.  

Of course, we do it for children and they are far more important than pets, so . . . why not?

No happy solution.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#27]
tag for tomorrow...
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The only part I did not agree with was the bit about pet ownership being a revocable privilege, not a right.  

Everyone has the right to make choices, simply because we do not like what choices someone makes does not mean that we should begin to mother them and remove their rights.  

Of course, we do it for children and they are far more important than pets, so . . . why not?

No happy solution.

Take a look at this

Does the person who CHRONICALLY NEGLECTED this dog deserve to be able to do it again?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That's a damn good video, well thought out.

thanks
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#30]
These assholes that abuse animals are the same ones that end up abusing their kids and women.  There is no place in hell hot enough for them.  Most laws are way too lax on animal cruelty.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#31]
The cum sack across the street from me has been trapping dogs and cats for a while now. He is a tinker bell if you know what I mean.

Our favrite street cat that eats all the snakes and rats was caught a few days ago. Luckily the owner was able to get the cat out of the pound before they put the cat down. It's a mean old cat.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#32]
that is a very good and powerful video.  thank you for making it.

i always post random articles (usually humorous) in my aim profile for everyone to see.  consequently, many people check it frequently.  they will watch it, and not know what hit them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top