Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/14/2006 6:51:23 PM EDT
It just seems that it gets huge, like into the 50-60 mill bracket near a holiday. The FL lottery is now up to 64 mill since no one has won it in the last 4-5 drawings. I'll bet my 1st born at least 3 people will win it tommorrow.

Funny how it goes to no one winning 4 times in a row then suddenly 3 people winning at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  It's a matter of odds.

I pay my $1 Stupid Tax twice a week.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It just seems that it gets huge, like into the 50-60 mill bracket near a holiday. The FL lottery is now up to 64 mill since no one has won it in the last 4-5 drawings. I'll bet my 1st born at least 3 people will win it tommorrow.

Funny how it goes to no one winning 4 times in a row then suddenly 3 people winning at the same time.

Not a surprise considering many people get the same number as another person... sometimes on purpose.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll let you know what I think after I confirm my winning ticket.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]
lottery is a scheme to make the poor poorer, and winning it is paradoxically the worst thing that can happen to you.  they go from nothing to rich in an instant.  then they have no idea what to do with the money, so they spend it like water, live like kings for a year or two, then are flat broke again, but this time they cant handle it because they have had a taste of teh good life
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course it's a scam but some SOB will still get alot of cash !
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The lotty is either a tax on the mathmatically challenged or a tax on stupidity depending on how bluntly you want to phrase it . . .
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Tax on the mathematically challenged.

ETA: beat me to it..

I had a co-worker who won a million took home $487,000  it was gone in less than four years.

A study was done years ago on lottery winners in FL. after twenty years of payout they were in debt and had out of date work skills. Something like 80% were worse off than when they won the money.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#8]
a-DUUUUUUUUUH.

You get millions playing, so millions of dollars weekly going into the state. How much of that ever leaves? It's a tax.

As to whether it's rigged, I doubt it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
It isn't a scam. I won the big one a couple of years back and bought a tug and barge company.

I only work now because I enjoy it.
Would I lie to you?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
lottery is a scheme to make the poor poorer, and winning it is paradoxically the worst thing that can happen to you.  they go from nothing to rich in an instant.  then they have no idea what to do with the money, so they spend it like water, live like kings for a year or two, then are flat broke again, but this time they cant handle it because they have had a taste of teh good life

I've read that the average time from lottery winner to flat broke is 18 months.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#11]
notta scam, just a tax
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've read that the average time from lottery winner to flat broke is 18 months.

Everyone needs a plan:

Part 1. Give your old house, your old cars and all your old worldly posessions to a trusted family member, with the stipulation that they have to give it all back if you ever want it.

Part 2. Use your newfound wealth to screw up your life.

Part 3. Invoke the "reset clause" described in Part 1 above.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Lotto is gambling, just like off-track betting, blackjack, poker, slot machines, roulette, craps, etc. There are winning streaks and losing streaks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm just surprised that the Rev. Jackson's & Sharptons haven't jumped all over the "ethnic-sizing" the lottry has gone through in the past few years. In IL, we have a slogan "Players have more fun", with the word players "blinged", and Bernie Mac as the paid endorser.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#15]
It's not a scam.  They tell you up front your odds of winning are about as good as getting struck by lightning...4 FREEKING TIMES!!!  people just don't get how unlikely 1:172,000,000 is.  Now your probably asking yourself, how do I know the odds?  well, I looked on the back of my ticket.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#16]
You may call it a stupid tax but when was the last time you sent in your 1040 with a chance of winning anything?

Speaking of which, imagine if the IRS had a lottery that one person a year who returned their tax forms on time won tax-free for life? Betcha tax returns would rise to near 100% by 4/15...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, I did not win the powerball!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#18]
yep it always seems to be won by the dumbest fucks on earth

If i hit 1mil plus I would  not  have to work for life

the power of  intrest is weak with most  of those people
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#19]
You ever win? No? You've been had.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#20]
projected return on a $1 lotto ticket is .50.

I cant remember how many people I used for the sample, or the projected payout. But it was an average lottery...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Lotteries are GREAT.

They are voluntary taxes on stupid people.

SG
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I would love a national lottery. Every thousand dollars you pay in taxes, you get one chance to win.
Those who don't pay taxes don't get to play. (I bet you some losers would actually pay to play.)
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:26:18 AM EDT
[#23]
It's not a scam.  They tell you the odds right up front.  It's your, or whoever, idea to try and be the ones that beats the tiny odds to actually win.

Why would it need to be rigged?  The odds are already so in the favor of the lottery that tryingt o rig it would be pointless.  I would think that just having a single big winner would entice more people to play in the hope that they'd be "The One," that hit it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#24]
My dad has come close to hitting the NY LOTTO twice!
First time he had 6 but not the supplementry. Someone else hit them all so no big payout but nothing to cry about either. I think it was $15,000
2nd time he hit 5 and got a few hundred out of it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#25]
State lotteries are nothing more than a tax on the naive.

Nothing wrong w/ plopping down an occasional buck when the urge hits you.

But to be drawn into the scheme and to regularly feed the system your hard earned money is sheer STUPIDITY !
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#26]
The only scam is that the profits that were suppossed to go to public education never do. Instead all that cash gets blown on advertising and salary.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
yep it always seems to be won by the dumbest fucks on earth

that's because the dumbest fucks on earth are HIGHLY over-represented in the pool of ticket-buyers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I know the odds are astronomically against me winning the powerball, but I still play.  I figure winning the powerball is the only way a schmuck like me will ever own a Lear Jet.  It's (almost) worth a shot now and then.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:48:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Wasn't there a story a while back about a newspaper that printed the winning numbers for the lottery the day before the drawing? I just tried Snopes to find anything about it, maybe it's a wives tale, maybe not.

I have to ask you guys, how often in history has their been the handling of THAT kind of money without SOME form of skimming or frictional losses?

Wouldn't surprise me!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I work for Scientific Games, a company that runs many of the states lottery contracts.  I am very anti-gambling (wierd eh?).  You guys are right, they don't hide the fact that the odds of winning more than what you put in are worse than getting strike by lightning multiple times.  The people just don't care though.  They get their government checks at the begining of the month and "invest" most of it in lottery tickets (our sales are substantially higher in the first week of the month how
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#32]
     It's a secret Reagan/Bush/Cheney/Rumsfield/Halliburto plan to get all the welfare money BACK from the poor.

To finance the war and hurrican making machine.

( I play it once in a while and always kick myself after )
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#33]
I admit I play every now and then too. Nothing big, couple bucks a month, hoping Ill be one of those schmucks they pick to win because somebody or some people have to win. But I think they definetly control what the winning numbers will be and when they have a winner and even where the winner buys the winning ticket. It's not all left to chance as theyd like us to believe.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#34]
If you ever do happen to win the lottery, here is something you probably should read.

www.rotten.com/library/culture/lottery-winners/

This page is work safe, but the rest of rotten.com is definately not.  

Anyways, this page shows you how to properly collect your winnings, and a few pointers on what to do with it.  You don't want to end up robbed, or even worse, DEAD.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#35]
all gambling is a scam, thats how they make money
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Probabilistic events are not funny, they just are.

Perhaps an entity with a noodly appendage is at work here.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I only pay when the prize is Fuck You money, ie, I can tell anyone to fuck you and not have to ever worry about money again.

even then, I only play a buck or so..
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#38]
My wife is sure the local lottery is a scam.  She keeps telling me that, because she says in all the years we have had a lottery, since August of '74, she has never known one person to win more than a couple hundred dollars.  Makes you wonder, but then you read the stories in the paper of all the winners.  Spend a buck, try your luck.  MournSword
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I play Wensday and Sat,couple of bucks each time(so far I have spent 94.00)!

I put that much into saveings as well,I don't have to look at the back of a ticket to know what my odds are if I don't play!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Its probaly rigged.  I buy them sometimes anyway.

Atleast somone wins it and gets off welfare sometimes
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Of course it's a scam.  An upfront and legal scam.  Only Half the money that comes in is ever payed back out.

If you do win 100 mil, you can take it in payments, or HALF in a lump lum.  WTF, Over?  Can I give my creditors that option?   If they are going to make payments to the winner, it should be payments, with interest.  Same as we pay for our mortgages.

Now that I think of it, it's pretty annoying that the .gov can run thier own gambling operation, yet gun down free-lance bookies like rabid dogs.

Are the numbers rigged?  Probably not.  All the graft and corruption is right up front, and people just don't care.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#42]
nah, I won it the other day.  5 dollar ticket.  I won 5 bucks.  Breaking even aint bad
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#43]
if state run lotteries are considered gambling for lowlifes how is it any different from trading stocks other than maybe getting a return?
plenty of dopes out there investing in trash.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#44]
The lottery is a tax on stupid people.  Nothing more, nothing less.
Some people win, millions lose.
It is far worse odds than the worst odds in Las Vegas.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#45]
The lottery is a tax on people who can't do math.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Anybody with half a brain knows they are a scam, but if you can afford a few buckls a week on a flyer why not?  If you are spending more than that seriously expecting to win, then you got a problem.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#47]
In the last 3 years thier has been 1 powerball winner in Louisiana while multiple times in Iowa, Idaho, and Pennsylvania.  I think it is rigged or tilted slightly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd rather have state lotteries around, taxing only the statistically challenged, than to have another tax against all of us.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#49]
when you are in math class in middle school... or maybe in chemistry class...

what is 1/1000?

it's 0.001

What do you round that to? 0

What is 1/1,000,000 then? Well, it's still bigger than the chance you have of winning the lottery
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Statistically, the odds of winning the lottery are about the same whether you buy a ticket or not.

I think the lotto is a waste of beer money.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top