Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/14/2006 6:17:41 PM EDT
I've been considering getting an LCD HDTV for a few months. I came very close to buying one the past couple of weekends, as Fry's has been running some pretty good deals.

The more I think about it, the less I want one.

I'm not sure, but I think that most TV shows are not going to give me any more picture than I get with regular TV. Even if they did, who cares? TV is mostly just background noise at my house anyway. There are very few shows that I really give a crap about.

Now, most of my DVDs are the widescreen versions, which means I have the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. However,  I don't notice the black bars, as I'm focusing on what I AM seeing, rather than what I'm NOT.

Another thing I think about is that I'll be getting in on the ground floor of the VCR. I'm wise enough (read as old enough) to remeber my richer friends with their giant $1000 VCRs, which have become better and cheaper over the years. I keep thinking that the awesome $3000 TV I buy now is going to be the old technology $300 TV five years from now.

So, whaddya say? Better to keep my money in my pocket, or have a little technological fun?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
dude hdtv rocks, dont miss out on it
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck it...the federal gov't might buy you an HDTV converter with the taxpayers dollars.  That's the plan.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Save your money dude.  I don't think HDTV is worth it either.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Im not messing with HD till more channels... Like the channels I watch...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Ok, make your case then. Convince me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I don't have it (yet), but I've seen it. IT ROCKS!

I do, however, have a 50-inch HD LCD TV. It is simply AMAZING. DVD's are simply ASTOUNDING on it!

I'd recommend getting the toys, man! You spend too much time in front of the TV to still be looking at a 27-inch CRT!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#7]
the picture IS quite a bit sharper.

and within a few years the FCC is mandating that all broadcasts be in HD, so you'll either have to buy an HDTV or a converter box anyways.....
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#8]
buy a gun instead.  99% of tv is either not in HD, the wrong aspect, or both
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
is going to be the old technology

its going to be the only technology.

are standard broadcast tv is/was around for how long?

I don't see the 16:9 high res format going anywhere anytime soon.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#10]
If I recall correctly they say that past five feet the human eye has difficulty telling the difference between HDTV and regular MODERN TVs.

Waste of money regardless if you ask me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If I recall correctly they say that past five feet the human eye has difficulty telling the difference between HDTV and regular MODERN TVs.

obviously you dont have one, or you'd know that's bullshit
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, make your case then. Convince me.

I don't have to do anything, i have one. If you want to watch old shitty ass Tv, then be my guest.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2.

Whoever "they" are, they're clueless.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

BS.

We had a new 16:9 TV hooked up to regular cable for a while, but a few months ago we got the HDTV box. The difference is pretty obvious. Sports, movies, discovery channel, etc all look MUCH better.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2.

+3
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, go ahead and get one. Only, you better hope you never see Joan Rivers up close and personal in HD.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#18]
For several years, my family and I kept making that justification.  "It'll be cheaper eventually, might as well wait until then."  We finally got one several months ago, and are now kicking ourselves for not getting it sooner.  If you like to watch any primetime shows, sports, or DVDs, you should have gotten an HDTV yesterday.  I've got 25 or so shows that are set to record series on my DVR, and I'd say about a third of them are in HD.  The most important ones are in HD.  24, Lost, The Unit, The Sopranos, Prison Break, and SNL are just some of the examples of shows I watch in HD.  Sure, there are still some shows that aren't broadcast in HD, such as the friday night sci-fi lineup or The Shield, but if you like watching Jack torture people, or seeing Kate in all her hotness on Lost, then you owe it to yourself to get HDTV.  Not to mention it makes DVDs look better too.  I have a 720p/1080i upconverting DVD player and I see a lot of details I never saw on movies when I watched on my old TV.

It's easy to be satisfied with regular TV if you've never experienced watching HDTV at home on your couch, relaxing, and eating some nachos.  Get it and you'll never go back.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I am in complete agreement with you.

The following is a horrible thing to say... but i will say it anyway.....

I can't WAIT to see all the HDTV buyers.... crying their eyes out.... when their brand new, $2K-$10K televisions WILL NOT display the new generation of High Definition DVDs in their native format of 1080P.

There are 2 formats of high definition DVD on their way... Blu Ray, and HD DVD.... but the FUNNY part is... there are NO current television sets capable of displaying the MAXIMUM resolution these DVDs are capable of.

Now... they WILL be able to view them, through a conversion... or more accurately... a DOWN-conversion.

This is just one of the many reasons I have for not jumping onto the HDTV bandwagon.  I understand there will be countless people who will disagree with me.  But this is the way i see it.... they paid too much for too little... just for bragging rights.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#20]
the diff between regular and HD tv is like the difference between mono and Dolby 5.1
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#21]
There's quite a variety of HD.  

Normal broadcast stuff at 480p still looks better than standard broadcast.

Sports on HD has tended to be 720p because progressive does a better job than interlaced with motion.

1080i is what you can get on some channels like PBS on HD.  They're pretty spectacular.  2.5 times the resolution of normal TV.

I get CBS, ABC, NBC, PBS, Discovery, some local Pro Sports, ESPN HD, FOX and 4 other subscription channels ($!0).

I watch the HD set when it's something on these channels, otherswise I just watch a Sony 27'.

It's worth it, my jealous friends will attest to it.

ETA as far as the new 1080p HD DVDs, well they aren't here yet so to those that are waiting,  how long are you gonna wait.  The politics of this has delayed the technology over a year.  So what if it's 1080i or even 780p on DVDs it will still look a LOT better than standard broadcast.  You'd even be surprised how much better a standard DVD looks on the HD set.  I've had my set for over 2 years so I'm OK with my choice of when to jump in. 42in Sony RPLCD
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I dont watch as much TV as I used to.

I dont think it is worth it. I would get a better computer monitor as computer monitors already get high resolution, and I download most television shows I would watch anyways.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Not gonna do HD until I get a huge screen TV when the prices come down.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#25]
The thing also with HDTV is you also have to pay extra to your satelite/cable company to get HD feed.  IIRC Comcast(who I have) charges extra.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#26]
You don't have to pay $3K for an HDTV, you can get one for $350 delivered.

HD programming is awesome, and SDTV will look BETTER if you have an HD source like a satellite or cable box upconverting the digital signal and sending it direct to the HDTV via component or HDMI.

Most of the better programming is already 16/9, and the rest is going that way.

More programming is available in HD all the time.

Now, if the arguement is whether or not now is a good time to buy a $3K TV, I agree it isn't, but it's the perfect time to buy a good HD CRT, they're dirt cheap relatively speaking.

Even on my little 30" HDTV screen I can tell you whether a 1080i signal is true HD or upconverted DVD from 25' away, let alone the difference between a true HD source and a regular 480i TV.

Where people run into problems with HDTV is when they buy a large, fixed pixel display that can't display anything natively, meaning most plasmas and LCDs, and then hook them up to less than perfect sources. That can lead to pretty horrible PQ on SD channels, and any large display will have a bigger difference between the ideal viewing distance for HD and SD, since you need to be about three times as far away for SD to look good as HD.

I recommend a 34" widescreen Sony direct CRT HDTV for about $1200, or go with something cheaper and plan to upgrade once SED or OLED 1080p displays get reasonably priced. I went the second route, with a $350 philips 30" widescreen CRT HDTV, but I kinda wish I'd gone with the 34" Sony.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Until Sci Fi Channel is HDTV I wouldn't worry.  Galactica rocks
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I've been considering getting an LCD HDTV for a few months. I came very close to buying one the past couple of weekends, as Fry's has been running some pretty good deals.

I'm not sure, but I think that most TV shows are not going to give me any more picture than I get with regular TV. Even if they did, who cares? TV is mostly just background noise at my house anyway. There are very few shows that I really give a crap about.

Now, most of my DVDs are the widescreen versions, which means I have the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. However,  I don't notice the black bars, as I'm focusing on what I AM seeing, rather than what I'm NOT.

Another thing I think about is that I'll be getting in on the ground floor of the VCR. I'm wise enough (read as old enough) to remeber my richer friends with their giant $1000 VCRs, which have become better and cheaper over the years. I keep thinking that the awesome $3000 TV I buy now is going to be the old technology $300 TV five years from now.

So, whaddya say? Better to keep my money in my pocket, or have a little technological fun?

Save ya $$$
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

All Ten channels of it ?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

UniHD plays galactica in HD.

I get 28 HD channels not counting PPV.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

UniHD plays galactica in HD.

I get 28 HD channels not counting PPV.

What good is HDTV when the programing stinks?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Now don't get me wrong I absolutely love my HDTV but I think the key is he said his TV is just background noise in his house. I don’t see any reason why you should buy an HDTV and pay extra money every month for something you really don't sound like you want in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
gallery.avsforum.com/data/506/DSCN0002.JPG

My rig.

The screen is 8 feet wide.

This is a DVD upscaled to "only" 800x600.

HD looks MUCH better but you'd never be able to tell from a pic like this.

The projector is a CRT based unit, not a digital.    

CJ

That will be my next upscale in a year or so.  Projection.  I'll have some time to get the room ready.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
the picture IS quite a bit sharper.

and within a few years the FCC is mandating that all broadcasts be in HD, so you'll either have to buy an HDTV or a converter box anyways.....

No, they are mandating that they be digital. They are trying to free up all the airwave transmissions used by standard TV's with an antenna.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow.

Uh, because HDTV is AWESOME.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Do what I do: Don't keep a TV at all. Download what few shows you really want to see.

TV sucks.

HD  video rocks though. I have the 1080p version of Underworld and it is AMAZING! 1920x1080 rocks!!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Ya know, HDTV is pretty neat and looks great... However, considering the cost, lack of programing, lack of HD-DVD, etc... It really does nothing for me ! I watch the news (not shot in HD), I watch the hisotry, discovery, travel, and food network... Not shot in HD. Why should I spend the money ? Give me a reason to by the gear and I will, but last I checked, WWI, II, and history were not shot in HD.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I try to find excuses to NOT watch TV.  

The only nights I really watch are Wednesdays and Sundays anyway because of Lost/South Park/Mencia/Sopranos/Big Love/Boondocks

The rest of the time I'm in the shop or on the computer.

Also, back in the old days.  TV reception was free to anyone who had an antenna.  The price you paid for the programming was having to watch and suffer through commercials.

In a true "if you build it, they will come" marketing moment that even Ron Popiel would be proud of, somebody decided they could run a cable to your house and convince you that it will be the wave of the future and that for a few bucks a month you'll get better quality TV.  Problem was, as long as it was only a few bucks a month it was okay.  Like federal income taxes, you got price creep and now I'm paying almost $60 a month and still watching commercials

HDTV has been around since 1983 or before.  The government could have done us all a big favor then and picked and forced an HDTV standard on the industry but NOOOOOOO!! we shouldn't do that.  Instead they let the industry sort it out and almost 30 years later HDTV is finally emerging from the chaos.

It all has just left a bad taste in my mouth....

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#40]
WOW! There's a lot of passion in this thread!

For myself, I don't care much about TV. I like Mythbusters. I like Ghost Hunters. I like a lotta stuff on the History Channel and Discovery, I don't like TLC as much as I used to.

Of course, I like The Shield. And, I like Medium, but then, I've always had a thing for Patricia Arquette .

I think the most I would get out of it is seeing my widescreen movies on a widescreen TV.  But, I think the definition would be lost on me, based on my movie collection. I mean, how much better is Zardoz on an HDTV than on my 5 year old Hitachi PX Special?

I dunno. I want one because it's the new tech. But I'm not sure it's worth it for me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#41]
sell your TV.

afcom is a better source of news, entertainment, etc.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Not that I am an expert, far from it.  However, I deal with HDTV everyday.  If I recall correctly, the analog signal will be cut off approx.  2008-2009.  This date has been pushed back several times due to the fact that consumer still haven't embraced this technology.  

Don't worry, if you have a tv that isn't HD ready eventually the market will produce a converter that will convert the HD signal back to analog so that non-HD tv sets will still work.

As an aside, Toshiba will introduce the first true HD DVD technology this month and the first true HD DVD player--not an up converter.  There is another HD DVD technology that Sony and others are backing, just not an industry standard yet.

Is it worth it?  It is in the eye of the beholder.  It kind of reminds me of topics here like "Is  $ xxxx too much to pay for this rifle?".  Well, if you want it bad enough, no.  Some programs look really great in HD.

I personally don't watch much television, if at all.  I would rather spend the money on shooting supplies or rifles, but that's just me.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2.

+3

Jeez! Tough crowd. I'm just conveying what I heard. Don't kill the messenger.

I also stated my personal response to the thread by saying that I'm not a fan regardless of that being true or not.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I am in complete agreement with you.

The following is a horrible thing to say... but i will say it anyway.....

I can't WAIT to see all the HDTV buyers.... crying their eyes out.... when their brand new, $2K-$10K televisions WILL NOT display the new generation of High Definition DVDs in their native format of 1080P.

There are 2 formats of high definition DVD on their way... Blu Ray, and HD DVD.... but the FUNNY part is... there are NO current television sets capable of displaying the MAXIMUM resolution these DVDs are capable of.

Now... they WILL be able to view them, through a conversion... or more accurately... a DOWN-conversion.

This is just one of the many reasons I have for not jumping onto the HDTV bandwagon.  I understand there will be countless people who will disagree with me.  But this is the way i see it.... they paid too much for too little... just for bragging rights.

Sorry, but you don't know shit about HDTV.  Almost all HDTVs will convert whatever resolution the broadcast is in to their native resolution.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#46]
I could easily afford any HDTV on the market.

My 36" Sony Trinitron TV suits my need just fine.

It weighs in at around 275 lbs I think.

The day it goes tits up is when I call on my 2-3 strongest friends and then I'll be HDTV shopping.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#47]
You're not getting in on the ground floor at all.  That would have been like 3 years ago or so.  Actually I think this is a good time to buy one.  Prices are reasonable for what you are getting.

And yes you can definitely tell the difference.  Whether you watch enough TV to make it worth it is up to you.  I have a service that sends over the air digital channels and I have to tell you I get a smile on my face whenever primetime comes along with HD widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1.  

Better than DVDs (which are also sweet by the way in 480p).
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
the diff between regular and HD tv is like the difference between mono and Dolby 5.1

Yup.
I got the hubby a 52" HDTV for Valentine's day.
We had to upgrade our cable box...new box offers LOTS of HD channels. Additionally, I *believe* all DVD's are high def formulated...I know mine look better on the big TV than the others in the house. Also, watched a Red Sox game on it with a friend who does not have it. She claims I've ruined her for watching games on her TV: she said watching that game on our TV made it feel like she was there, the clarity was soooooo good.

But, bottom line is: it's either something you want or not.
I like it and was willing to get it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All Ten channels of it ?

I get over 20 currently.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Not gonna do HD until I get a huge screen TV when the prices come down.

Prices are already down.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top