Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2006 5:41:24 PM EDT
One of the breakers in my breaker box is making a buzzing sound. I'm pretty sure that they aren't supposed to do this.  Any electricians here?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it buzzing or crackling?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to feed your bees....
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
this guy is inside:

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it buzzing or crackling?

Kinda both if that makes sense.  What could it be?  I removed the cover and don't see any sign of arcing and there is no smell or heat coming from the breaker.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
If it realy is vibrating,  and its nothing more than a breaker..... Replace It. NOW!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you tripped it and reset it?  Does it still buzz?  Turn off all the loads on that circuit and repeat the test.  

TC

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#7]
If only one is doing it then that one is probably defective.  I've never heard one buzz.  Change it out and see what happens.  Just throw the mains right above it and see how the breakers are attached to the buss.  Some snap out, some are attached mechanically.  Replace it with the same type and rating.  If the new one doesn't buzz, problem solved, if it still buzzes, best call an electrian.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm an electrician.  There is only one thing to do, lick the bus bar call an electrician.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm an electrician.  There is only one thing to do, lick the bus bar call an electrician.

Seriously.

I'd listen to this man.

Throwing the main breaker off does not kill everything in the box. You can still get vaporized if you stick your hand in the wrong spot.

Oh SHIT! I just noticed who I quoted.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it's the water heater breaker.  It's quiet right now.  My back is killing me so I'll check on it later when my meds kick in again.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously.

I'd listen to this man.

Throwing the main breaker off does not kill everything in the box. You can still get vaporized if you stick your hand in the wrong spot.

Oh SHIT! I just noticed who I quoted.

Ok, let's not start a 21 page thread in 30 minutes like last night there is a time and place for everything.  Layman in panels don't work.  
Pay the electrician his $50, it's a cheap insurance policy for yourself, your house, your possessions, and your family.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#12]
It was a breaker that went to a 220 clothes dryer. I only use that circuit for my small welding machine now though nothing at all is plugged up to it at this time. Why would it buzz with nothing drawing current?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It was a breaker that went to a 220 clothes dryer. I only use that circuit for my small welding machine now though nothing at all is plugged up to it at this time. Why would it buzz with nothing drawing current?

If you have an older box (panel), it's possible that the breaker has developed a small arc spot where it attaches to the buss (the big brass or aluminum bar that comes from the "main".

Please have an electrician look at it.

Tango7 (Licensed Electrician)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top